• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Who was your hardest rival and why?

Who was your hardest rival?

• Total voters
The hardest rival I have ever come face to face in battle would be May from generation 3. During the early stages of the game; her Toarkoal or her Marshtomp would do it in for me.

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
May as well, the others were pretty easy, but May always gave me hard times :/ :p

Katsume

SHINY!
Honestly? I found May to be a walk in the park- Ah, her Torkoal. You had Combusken. THAT is why I always keep a ground or rock type on my team.

Now...GARY.

OH DEAR GAWD GARY. I grinded everyday in case he wanted to suddenly pop up and try to Hydro Pump through my team. (Luckily, my Dragonite saved the day!) I just had bad luck with him, every single time he appeared I was just on the way to the Pokemon Center because my pokemon had a status condition or I was on my way to training a weak pokemon in the grass.

I guess he isn't that hard, it's just the timing, it was so spot on.

Last edited:

Mister_SGG

Rivals are a peace of cake homes. Silver, Barry, May... nothing

You know who's hard? my penis Cynthia. Her Garchomp always rips through my team because I never use Ice-types usually.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
This needs to be in polls.

Gary may be the hardest with me in Yellow, but I remember having issues with Silver during the surprise sneak-attack in Azalea Town. Good Lord I wasn't prepared for that in the least. Brendan gave me trouble during the last battle (nothing a little level grinding couldn't help). Haven't played the other two games.

So I think it just depends on the team picked every game-play.

Romain

Err'body Luv Mama!
Oh, gurl. Don't get mama started on that Brendan child. Errtime mama seen him coming, mama would scream! Battling him was always horrible, because mama used the Pokémon she liked; that child used some mad chicken! Mama be smashing that Ruby game up now, y'all!

Cyber Robert

Shockingly Lovely
Honestly, I think Blue was the hardest rival. The others were a walk in the park for me, but there are two fights in particular with Gary that make me cringe to this day. Will I tell you them? No. Could you figure it out? Probably.

I-am-the-peel

Justice Forever
Gary was definetly the hardest for me, personally because I was shocked by how fast his team had grown. In one battle after the SS:Anne, his pokemon were around level 25 in the pokemon tower, then when I fight him at Silph Co. he has a level 40 starter and a level 37 Pidgeot? Man that is crazy, especially when his old pokemon used to grow up slowly.

Silver was alright for me, sometimes annoying but sometimes easy. The whole generation was easier because the pokemon were lower levels than the first.

The only time May ever annoyed me was before Mauville City with her Lombre and Combusken, I swear it was seriously difficult to defeat a combination of nature power from Lombre and then double kick and peck from Combusken. Her Pelliper was easy but it was just those two pokemon. After that though, she was seriously easy, dissapointed that her starter didn't fully evolve.

Barry was ridiculously easy. His starter and the elemental types were pretty easy as Floatzels, Roserades and Rapidashs defenses aren't that high. Snorlax was difficult, the pokemon I tried to defeat that at first was my Weavile but night slashes and ice shards did nothing, so I used Staraptor and his close combat for him. Heracross was also too easy, just send in a fire pokemon to burn him and if everyone else is dead, revive staraptor. His Staraptor ended up being annoying at the battle zone with U-Turn, but it was eventually another lamb to the slaughter.

And Cheren and Bianca on Black and White? Easy just like all the other trainers in that game. The levels in black and white and less than even gold and silver, which is saying something.

wolf king

Resistance is futile
iv'e got to say May as-well, Kanto i haven't played in a LONNGGG time and i can't remember if gary was difficult or not, bianca was pretty easy, silver was sooo easy, although i did have one moment in victory road where i just couldn't beat the son of a ... gun and Barry was a little bit difficult at times but for the most part he was easy

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
Barry became a challenge with using a lot of TM's.

Shade2000

Shade in Shades
Uh I never played gen 1, 2 and three but HG and SS were close enough to gen 2 to say I've played it.
I never really had trouble with any of the rivals, although I had most trouble with silver, I kinda went easy on him cos I like him so much, I look so much like him. Barry was easy, I mean, one Mach punch and his Pokemon are in the dust. I only ever lost one battle to him, my first ever battle, in hearthome city. Cherenkov and Bianca, seriously under levelled Pokemon. I think the rivals got easier as the games went along. If that is true imagine how easy the next gens rivals will be!

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Since I started in gen 3, May used to give me a tough time, but only early on in my time with pokemon. Blue and the others knew how to catch me off guard, but they were easy. Blue's battles got boring. Silver was almost a joke, but that's not fair since Silver had the lowest for a rival, besides May. Barry, he achieved the highest levels for a rival, surpassing even Cynthia, so I respect him there, but he's not much harder than the others. Bianca had issues with move choices, which made her much easier. Cheren actually made an impressive team, being the 1st rival to have a dragon and make use of great hold items. He's still not too tough, just like the rest, but he had great potential.

Princess Raspberyl

~Shining One~
The only rival I had trouble with was Gary. I hated fighting Gary, I have bad memories of getting my butt handed to me by him as a kid playing the game T+T *cries and slowly crawls to corner of shame*

Atratus

Antimatter Trainer
Blue (Gary), but almost entirely because I was an inexperienced kid. As I am now, I consider a NPC opponent good if they manage to defeat one of my pokemon.

John Wallrein

I am the walrein
(Bianca, whata joke ) Probably Gary. He just seemed to pop up and I was never prepared xD As the champion too, that made him harder.

Guywhoiam

Dr. Researcher Man
I have to go with Silver from the original Gold. It was my first Pokemon game and I still didn't know what I was doing. I don't have any particular problems with any of them now, though.