1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Who would be the new protag(or protags) in a hypothetical spin off/sequel if Ash ever retires?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Power Up, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Power Up

Power Up Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many.

I'm thinking either his kid(s) or some kid who got inspired by him.

2. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ The Moonlit Raven

No thanks, have it be someone completely unrelated to Ash, and have them be female.

AznKei likes this.
  3. Power Up

Could definitely happen. But the show is gotta keep some type of Ash relation or at least have him in a recurring role for obvious reasons

Pokegirl Fan~ likes this.
  4. keepitsimple

keepitsimple Eep T. Imple

Mirror Verse Ash

5. Power Up

Basically Boku no Hero Academia lmao. From zero to hero. From crybaby to OP

6. NanoMoltres

NanoMoltres Pokemon Ranger Nano

It would be kinda cool if we could get a Pokemon Ranger spin-off anime series.

Xeogran and Moonlight Starlight like this.
  7. Ashton Ketchum

Ashton Ketchum Well-Known Member

Of corse - for each new generation own hero(es), like in games and manga. And my opinion - in first Saga without Ash in main role, they can make one of members of group - Meowth, as ex villain, he can be like Iago from Aladdin (in cartoon series). This also can be one of ties with the past. Talk about past - Ash can still appeared in each new anniversary season, for 5-10 episodes. And in one of future generations - main protagonist can be son of Ash and Serena.

8. KenzeyEevee

KenzeyEevee Eevee, the one with a kind heart

I would like that. But let it be the daughter of Ash.

LilligantLewis likes this.
  9. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

The problem is they keep dumbing down the use of the girls in recent seasons. They take less part in the slapstick and wilder fillers and they won't even let them be in fights where they're taking hits back most of the time. You have a character like that do the main quest and they risk being a blander more invincible female version of Ash.

I get the feeling a male protagonist would just be a slightly tweaked copycat of Ash however.

10. U.N. Owen

U.N. Owen In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

I'd prefer someone unrelated to Ash as a character, probably more focused on the regional evil team. Ash's shelf-life is really long because of the formula of the games. It's all the same, gym quest then the league. It's not that hard to adapt; however, if you make a new protagonist more focused on the evil team due to a personal connection, you limit the shelf-life.

Let's be honest with Ash, he is among the many bottlenecks when it comes to proper worldbuilding because the anime is always so narrowly focused on him. Even in SM, the perfect series for a decentralized story where everyone can shine, even focuses too much on Ash and not enough on the other characters because he's such a cash cow.

Moonlight Starlight likes this.
  11. Ignition

Ignition Let's Go supporters are worse than the complainers

Either the male player characters of the respective game or some character like Ritchie: someone who's like a clone of Ash

12. nickdt

nickdt Well-Known Member

Jessie and James's daughter (Still believe the anime should bring them together).

13. LilligantLewis

LilligantLewis primarina donna

If the show had ended after XY, which it did not, I would have liked the next gen to be after about a 15-20 year time skip, have Bonnie be the main character as an adult, with Dedenne as the new mascot, she has 2-3 other guys/girls who travel with her who are her own age and/or teenagers, and also the little kid role (the "Max/Bonnie") is Ash and Serena's son.

345ash-greninja likes this.
  14. Satomine Night

Satomine Night The Power of Z!

If the writers want to keep a connection between Ash and the new protagonist, then the new protagonist would probably be his child or grandchild. (Personally, I would prefer Ash's grandchild, rather than his child, as the protagonist. The greater distance between them could allow for more creativity when it comes to legends surrounding Ash and how those legends affect his grandchild on his/her journey.) Even if the writers don't particularly care about keeping a connection to Ash, I still think Ash would play a role in the new protagonist's life, even if it's just as an inspirational figure.

The writers have been dumbing down the use the female companions in recent seasons. I highly doubt the writers would treat a female protagonist the same way they have been treating the female companions. A female protagonist would have to get involved in heated battles where she and her Pokémon take hits; she would have to take part in the slapstick and wilder fillers; she would have to be put in danger. Essentially, the writers would have to treat her the same way they treat Ash, with regards to the types of situations she is put into.

15. AznKei

AznKei Pump It Up Prime 2 Girl

While I don't mind a female protagonist like Bonnie, Dedenne doesn't have the same star power as Pikachu, so I doubt the anime would be a treat without our iconic Pokemon. Also, you're surely want to give the Amourshippers a treat with the whole Ash & Serena's son thing, aren't you? :p

16. keepitsimple

keepitsimple Eep T. Imple

Despite the mirror verse joke, honestly like some have said, I'd prefer if a hypothetical new main protagonist had no relation to Ash whatsoever, and I definitely don't want any shippings to become canon. Let's not start a fan war.

Ash isn't going to be replaced though so who cares anyway lol

17. Power Up

Yes please :D. That would be great

18. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

Which is kinda the reason I doubt they'd have a female protagonist (granted I doubt they'd replace Ash to begin with). Lillie who is a deuteragonist in much of SM and gets occasional indiscriminate hardships is probably what they are most comfortable going up to right now.

19. AznKei

AznKei Pump It Up Prime 2 Girl

I know an artist from DeviantArt who is doing those Amourshipping arts, with Serena & Ash completely grown up, being married and having kids, the fanbase went nuts with these arts. I know they're headcanons but I wonder if there's any other Ash shipping fans that can compete against that artist.

20. horrahforyou

horrahforyou Well-Known Member

Before Amourshipping came in picture , I've seen numbers of fanarts of Ash and Misty being grown up and married and have their own kids.