• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Who would you like to be the director of the anime in gen 8? Lead writer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
This show has gone through a lot of directors and lead writers, so who would you want to direct it in the future?
Hard mode: no tomioka or yajima

TBH, I'd be fine with daiki staying, since I'm not the biggest fan of yajima's portrayal of ash, but matsui has been a mixed bag as both writer and lead writer. I'm not sure who should be the new lead writer aside from tomioka though (he and daiki have already worked together to great success for generations), though lately shoji yonemura has been pretty promising (he wrote the guzzlord and necrozma arcs, with my problems with both being more about what wasn't there more than what was there and them needing 1 or 2 more episodes each)

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
After seeing XY/XYZ and recently M21, I would definitely like Yajima back as the director. I guess Shoji Yonemura can have an even bigger role since he's shown a lot of potential, though Tomioka being the lead writer would still be the best scenario. As you've said, I personally don't want Matsui to be lead writer, since most of the SM episodes by her have been mixed to negative for me.

That's not really the same though? That thread is about how fans would've liked to see some scenarios played out, and how they would've changed certain situations, while this thread is only talking about preferred directors for the next series.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
I think the current head writer is trying to implement her ideas from the experience she gained from AG series, which is more downer since AG had some of the best fillers of this series.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
After seeing XY/XYZ and recently M21, I would definitely like Yajima back as the director. I guess Shoji Yonemura can have an even bigger role since he's shown a lot of potential, though Tomioka being the lead writer would still be the best scenario. As you've said, I personally don't want Matsui to be lead writer, since most of the SM episodes by her have been mixed to negative for me.

That's not really the same though? That thread is about how fans would've liked to see some scenarios played out, and how they would've changed certain situations, while this thread is only talking about preferred directors for the next series.
tbh, I looked at her (finally I have confirmation that she's a woman, wasn't sure because I'm not familiar with japanese names) episode list and even before SM her episodes were also a mixed bag. Anyways, while I hope tomioka comes back, I have a feeling he won't, IDK, 3 series back to back can be taxing on anyone (then again, do we know if he stepped down or if he was just replaced?)

Ashton Ketchum

Yajima. He should be director for one more series, or second chief director with Yuyama-san. And if be so - after gen 8 Yajima became only one chief director, when Yuyama after his 70th birthday leave his post to the pension. And then - Pokemon anime surely became Shonen! :)

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
A team I'd love seeing take Pokémon is Go Koga (director) and Yoichi Kato (writer) who had done the Digimon Universe Appli Monsters (Appmon) series. That series had a strong cast of characters and they do some decent slice of life episodes while balancing them with adventure stories.

Shoji Yonemura as main writer seems like a natural progression. It's kind of a shame they've made Tomioka's sucessor be Matsui despite she not being around as long as Yonemura.

And I second the idea the most ideal is Yajima getting another shot and maybe even getting a bigger rank in the production staff.

DatsRight

Matsui has been very imbalanced leading the front this series, but I appreciate she tried giving a fresh life to the show and she did iron out some long running problems, if adding some new ones in the process. I would be interested in seeing her get a second chance, largely because the series pattern tends to be 'new ideas' then 'repeat and refine' (eg. compare AG to DP), but after that, yeah, time to try someone else.

Either way I think it might be best to avoid just going for the same faces of the previous series. They did their job but it was obvious having the same members like Tomioka in charge series after series after series led to the same direction being used over and over again (even his contributions in SM you can tell he's not branching out as dramatically as the others, still relying on the old formula he endorsed for years, as part of the team that's not as much a problem and if anything keeps a bit of balance, as the main bulk however it now gets monotonous). Also letting other staff with different approaches have their turn heading things can lead to new ideas and fresh material that can have long term benefits for the show, even if the process isn't as refined and consistent. Just don't discard everything the previous teams have done.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Gen UrobochiJunji Ito

I'm fine with whoever is currently in charge. As @DatsRight said, at least the current one is trying to do something new.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
heh, the last 2 posts are funny side by side

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
I'm not familiar with any of the directors or writers, so I am just going to say what kind of person I want making the gen 8 saga:

Someone who can make a dark, mature, but still family friendly series.

No Alola arc style of animation, go back to the Kalos arc style of animation, tone down the humor by a lot and tone up the character development and action by a lot!!!!

Someone who can take risks and make small/"small" changes, such as ash not having a Grass type in Kalos and how he didn't have a Water type in Alola. Maybe make it so he can catch and PERMANENTLY keep a legendary or legendary tier Pokemon

and Someone who won't have him release or give away any of his Pokemon

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I was thinking and another team I'd like to take the series is Fumiya Hojo (director) alongside the already mentioned Yoichi Kato (writer). They are doing the Yo-kai Watch Shadow Side anime. I think both do a fairly good job balancing the main cast and giving them spotlight.

Alola Adventurer

I'm fine with Aya Matsui staying as the director, but I wouldn't mind Astuhiro Tomioka taking a crack at being the director, instead of the lead writer. I'd also be okay with Tetsuo Yajima returning as the director if he's able to help the next series have more character driven stories like The Power of Us.

Last edited:

DatsRight

I'm fine with Aya Matsui staying as the director, but I also wouldn't mind Astuhiro Tomioka taking a crack at being the director, instead of the lead writer. I'd also be okay with Tetsuo Yajima returning if he's able to help the next series have more character driven stories like The Power of Us.

A mix of Matsui and Yajima's direction would be nice, ie. giving more emphasis on the whole ensemble cast, but still trying to give Ash star appeal and new life.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Sorry, but I'd probably be fired for trying to implement my idea of having Ash getting killed by Pikachu's Thunderbolt.

I mean, sure. I'd scrap the whole thing and make something new, though. Ha ha.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Sorry, but I'd probably be fired for trying to implement my idea of having Ash getting killed by Pikachu's Thunderbolt.

I mean, sure. I'd scrap the whole thing and make something new, though. Ha ha.
I would like that imo. They could even make like Rayden's fatalities from Mortal Kombat, where the victim body got literally destroyed by intense shock, but Pokemon would have to be rated M for Mature, in which it's not going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.