1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Who would you like to be the director of the anime in gen 8? Lead writer?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by mehmeh1, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Kintaro

Kintaro Well-Known Member

I'd rather Tomioka just be head writer/series constructor again like he was for DP and most of AG. He clearly took over after Shudo stepped down and he wrote the important eps of both series and was in charge of May and Dawn's character arcs and Contests, and likely decided what pokemon Ash had in AG/DP. He wrote many of the most important or best eps of each saga too.

janejane6178 likes this.
  2. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

Wasn't he in charge of BW and XY as well? BW was a messy attempt to try something new that they gradually ditched, while XY was largely the AG/DP format but blandened a fair bit. Even in DP a lot of key parts of the classic formula had gotten stale from not doing anything new with them (eg. Brock and TR's running gags).

Tomioka had a good starting run, but I think after a while he struggled to get out of a comfort zone and evolve the show to keep it fresh. He still works well as part of the team, but I think he's run dry as the leading creative member. That said I'm sure the same would have happened to any lead writer after two decades of perpetual production. Shudo himself felt dried up by the limitations in material by the end of his run.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  3. Kintaro

4. Epicocity

Epicocity Well-Known Member

Tomioka was still head writer on BW, he just took far more of a backseat. Look at the number of episodes he wrote in comparison to DP and XY and you can tell.

I feel there was a lot of executive meddling on BW when it came to everything.

5. Kintaro

He wasn't really in control of BW, it seemed like he wanted to take a break after DP. If you look at the BW eps he did write, after the TR/TP eps were skipped he just wrote mostly standalone eps besides a few important ones.

It's interesting Tomioka also wrote the last XY episode even though Yajima directed in, they must have co-wrote it together since Yajima came up with the ending.

6. Spider-Phoenix

Spider-Phoenix Go, Go Power Rangers

For what I understand, the main writer's job is basically coordinate the other freelance writers to make the episodes in a way that fits the director's vision. In this case, the director is the main one calling the shots, given the constraints and limits imposed by the executives and even the series chief director (Yuyama)

That's why DP, BW and XY are all different from each other in many ways despite the same guy being the main writer.

AznKei and Shadao like this.
  7. Kintaro

Even then Tomioka stepped down as series constructor after DP, hence why BW was so different.

8. Spider-Phoenix

If I recall correctly, he's credited as such for BW. One can assume he took a break or didn't more because he didn't write that many there but those are only assumptions.

Until we get an official statement he was BW's main writer but just happened to not write as many episode of it as he's used to.

Epicocity likes this.
  9. LilligantLewis

LilligantLewis primarina donna

I hope you're joking because if you've seen his twitter, if Jacob took over the anime it would turn rated M for mature very quickly

Spider-Phoenix likes this.
  10. mehmeh1

mehmeh1 Neutral force of Meh

nah, I was just calling him, given he seems to be invested in the production side of pokemon, just like I call genaller when I make feats/battle-related threads

Spider-Phoenix likes this.
  11. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

This would not to be bad.

12. Kuzehiko

Kuzehiko Well-Known Member

Tamioka, best lead writer in the Pokemon anime ever. He did a great job with AG & DP

04n70n10 likes this.
  13. ash&charizardfan

ash&charizardfan Humanity's greatest soldier

He also wrote the main episodes of XY series, no doubt he is the best they have got.

04n70n10 and Kuzehiko like this.
  14. Kintaro

Tomioka has been with the anime from the start, his first episode was episode 3, "Ash Captures Caterpie." He's been with the anime since the beginning for over 21+ years, I bet he wants Ash to win a league as much as fans do. There's obviously some executive meddling from the higher ups that prevents him from doing what he wants with the series. Too bad the anime is advertising based.

04n70n10 and Spider-Phoenix like this.
  15. DatsRight

In fairness Tomioka wrote stinkers as well (eg. the Pikachu vs Snivy incident). I notice Tomioka's approach tends to be rather formulaic, and he struggles more when writing for series that try to add new directions (he's done some good episodes for BW and SM but they are often where his quality most falters). Also his take on the mainstays, while more consistent, tended to get blander and more mechanical as time passed (eg. Ash, Team Rocket and Brock, though I did hear he was the one who spearheaded retiring TR in BW in the first place).

I do at least appreciate Matsui for trying to change things up and offer new dynamics to toy around with, even if she lacks the same direction Tomioka had. I think it's also her run (besides maybe Shudo in the earliest episodes) that has most successfully pulled off proper character studies, as in episodes that focus fully on a character and their agency and personality, with no fluff interruptions or distractions like bad guys or competitions with rivals deviating away from their individual character (compared to many previous series where that WAS how a character was demonstrated). Not to say SM isn't guilty of being formulaic at times as well, but it at least seems to have more confidence in star appeal (even Shudo outright admitted he thought Ash was too bland without these diversions).

16. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "And just what are you staring at?"

He also went over to work for DB Super's Future Trunks arc.

...Not...exactly a good arc.

17. AznKei

AznKei Rabi-Ribi's Cocoa is cute! ^_^

Well, there's some BS power levels going on between the characters, but I did like Goku Black and his Super Saiyan Rosé transformation.

I won't deny about some writers talents, but in the case of the Pokemon anime, I thought they were restricted on what they could do.

18. DatsRight

Plot armour always seems to be a vice with these writers (and a lot of anime in general). Action often tends to be more about spectacle than substance and agency (eg. seeing a hero completely demolish a foe in a flashy but generic and unfulfilled way, or JUST ABOUT to lose before they get DEMed some awesome power boost), but the problem is the anime's formula tends to even base long term "development" around such action (or at least pose it at such), and I think that's why Matsui's direction of having more occasions without action and just sitting still and making us appreciate the personalities works. Even some bits of action in SM seem more methodical than usual, if beneath a more comedic output (eg. the Ultra Guardian missions, which thrive more on amusing dynamics and strategies).

19. Spider-Phoenix

You know, the Team Flare arc really makes me feel like Yajima and Tomioka wrote it with the idea that Ash has won the league. When you see everything that happened with this idea on mind, the stakes feel a lot bigger.

04n70n10 likes this.
  20. Kuzehiko

Kuzehiko Well-Known Member

FT arc was so much better than BoG, RoF and U6 arcs altogether. He did a good job with that arc too. It might be as good as DBS's ToP arc is.