• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Who would you like to be the director of the anime in gen 8? Lead writer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
The obvious answer would be Shoji Yonemura. He has been the de-facto second-in command to Tomioka and de-facto main writer of BW with Tomioka fizzling out due variety of reasons, but most importantly he is the best dialogue writer for an ensemble cast as his characterizations tend work by characters bouncing off each other.

For the series director I have no idea, isn't Yuyuma still the series director? Anyway, there has been far too one-off episode directors in XY I lost the count, so I have no personal opinion in this(Yuji Asada is good as a non-Iwane option I guess).

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
The obvious answer would be Shoji Yonemura. He has been the de-facto second-in command to Tomioka and de-facto main writer of BW with Tomioka fizzling out due variety of reasons, but most importantly he is the best dialogue writer for an ensemble cast as his characterizations tend work by characters bouncing off each other.

For the series director I have no idea, isn't Yuyuma still the series director? Anyway, there has been far too one-off episode directors in XY I lost the count, so I have no personal opinion in this(Yuji Asada is good as a non-Iwane option I guess).
you're confusing series director with chief director (yuyama is the chief director), for example, tetsuo yajima was the series director for XY while tomoyasu daiki is the series director for SM

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
FT arc was so much better than BoG, RoF and U6 arcs altogether. He did a good job with that arc too. It might be as good as DBS's ToP arc is.
Eh. Debatable. All those arcs had something weird going on. The FT arc was basically "how can you we possibly screw Future Trunks's world more than the Androids?"

Boy howdy, and how. And that's without accounting the blue hair. (Sorry. Purple hair already stuck to me.)

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
Eh. Debatable. All those arcs had something weird going on. The FT arc was basically "how can you we possibly screw Future Trunks's world more than the Androids?"

Boy howdy, and how. And that's without accounting the blue hair. (Sorry. Purple hair already stuck to me.)
So much better and original than reviving everyone in every single arc? Because that's what DB does every time somebody dies or anything bad happens. In FTs arc, you just can't bring everyone back to life. It's the most realistic DB arc. I agree about the purple hair, though.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
So much better and original than reviving everyone in every single arc? Because that's what DB does every time somebody dies or anything bad happens. In FTs arc, you just can't bring everyone back to life. It's the most realistic DB arc. I agree about the purple hair, though.
It was less about the whole "no, you stay dead" part and more about "why did FT need to suffer 1000x worse?"

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
He also went over to work for DB Super's Future Trunks arc.

...Not...exactly a good arc.
tbh, most of the arc's issues stemmed from toriyama rather than any writer. It's clear that he didn't give any role to trunks so toei tried to come up with anything (sadly making him somewhat of a sue near the end), while toyo just put him in the background for his own arc. Not to mention toriyiama was the one behind the terrible ending (seriously, trunks earned the happy ending he got at the end of the cell saga, WHY did they have to take that away from him?)

Kintaro

Banned
Tomioka wrote eps of Super but keep in mind all the storylines come from Toriyama who decides the plots, outlines, villains and what happens. The individual writers then take his ideas and make it into episodes. It's not like Tomioka came up with the idea of Goku Black or the Zamasu arc...lol

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Tomioka wrote eps of Super but keep in mind all the storylines come from Toriyama who decides the plots, outlines, villains and what happens. The individual writers then take his ideas and make it into episodes. It's not like Tomioka came up with the idea of Goku Black or the Zamasu arc...lol
though by the ToP things were kinda murky about who wrote what

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I would like to know the name of the writers for all gens, can you someone tell me?
from the "what do you think will happen if ash ever wins a league" thread:
By the way, here's a list of the series directors thus far:

Hidaka Masamitsu (First Series, Advanced Generation #1-158)
Sutou Norihiko (Advanced Generation #170-Best Wishes #142)
Asada Yuuji (DP #171-191; Asada is the episode director of all of Iwane Masa'aki's episodes as animation supervisor. He personally storyboarded and directed five of the last twenty episodes of DP by himself, an incredible feat. Those were #172, #176, #186, #187 and #191)
Yajima Tetsuo (XY)
Tomiyasu Daiki (Deputy Director: XY & Z #1-30; Director: XY & Z #31, Sun & Moon #1+)

For series composer:

Shudou Takeshi (First Series #1-157)
Tomioka Atsuhiro (Diamond & Pearl #1-XY & Z #47)
Matsui Aya (Sun & Moon #1-present)

Kintaro

Banned
Keep in mind the director and series composer is not the same thing, Shudo stepping down in Johto or losing interest in the series is why it felt so different despite Hidaka staying as director till the end of AG. Tomioka was likely the uncredited series composer of AG, he wrote most of the important eps and May's Contest arc, and then got officially credited when DP began.

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
If I had the authority to do so I would select Asada Yuuji as series director and Tomioka Atsuhiro as series composer (head writer) and ask them to continue what they were building up in Diamond & Pearl with the Champion League and the like.

The series director is typically chosen from in-house directors at a studio although freelancers are not impossible. If I could choose literally anybody out there to be series director I'd love to see Wakabayashi Atsushi give it a shot. Wakabayashi is a talented animator and director who has overseen truly legendary episodes of Naruto and is friends with many good animators and directors. His loose style of animation would also be a great fit for a series with Nakano Satoshi and Yasuda Shuuhei as the character designers.

Another choice would be Matsumoto Rie. She directed Kyousougiga and is otherwise still a fascinatingly warm director who would really carry on and expand the strengths of Sun & Moon. She's also friends with Hayashi Yuuki, a super incredible animator and character designer.

There are plenty of other choices but I don't have enough time to list them all.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
A new lead writer who's capable of writing decent stories together with the sub-writer communicating with that person in a way they can pretend execution meddling.

Remix2

For lead writer definitely Shōji Yonemura,and in hindsight shoulda been lead writer of sun and moon since it clear that the current one isn’t ready to be lead writer for a series yet.

For series director I’ll like to see Yajima return because I really like his directions style that he bought for xy.

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
The one who wrote AG series and DP series.

That would be Tomioka Atsuhiro. He still writes scripts for the franchise, just not as head writer.

For lead writer definitely Shōji Yonemura,and in hindsight shoulda been lead writer of sun and moon since it clear that the current one isn’t ready to be lead writer for a series yet.

For series director I’ll like to see Yajima return because I really like his directions style that he bought for xy.

Matsui Aya has been the head writer of other series before. She's been in the industry for over twenty years. She's just writing a fun series based on Tomiyasu's ideas.

DatsRight

My only concern with Shōji Yonemura is that he hasn't had many developed battles. Even the few official battles he gets, the appeal in them is more the characterisation and introspective they provoke than the actual action itself, otherwise he's one of the most liable to resort to a plot armour intervention (eg. his Grand Trial is the only one that resorted to a DEM move learn), or opt for a tamer less conventional approach like with the Necrozma arc. He's definitely good for gentler non-formulaic storytelling, but maybe takes too many short cuts when forced to do proper action.

Even Matsui's done a few full and nicely strategised battles which didn't cut any corners alongside her more diverse stories, which makes her feel more versatile. Hell she even done one of the best TR battles in the show.

Last edited:

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
My only concern with Shōji Yonemura is that he hasn't had many developed battles. Even the few official battles he gets, the appeal in them is more the characterisation and introspective than the actual action, otherwise he's one of the most liable to resort to a plot armour intervention (eg. his Grand Trial is the only one that resorted to a DEM move learn), or opt for a tamer less conventional approach like with the Necrozma arc. He's definitely good for gentler non-formulaic storytelling, but maybe takes too many short cuts when forced to do proper action.

Even Matsui's done a few full and nicely strategised battles which didn't cut any corners, hell she even done one of the best TR battles in the show.
he did do ash vs dia 1

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I wonder how the series would have turned out if Takeshi Shudo was still the head writer for AG to the current series. I also wonder how different the series would be if some of his ideas that were rejected by others were approved of instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.