• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Who's in Charge of the Egg? (951)

Navin

MALDREAD
So no cons, but still a low score??

I think it deserves AT LEAST an 8.

I'm tougher on these ratings usually. 7.5 is a good score, considering the episode wasn't a gym battle or other major episode.

Rowlet capture only got a 4?

Thought about giving it a 5, but apart from the capture, it was more standard TR fare.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
I found it a bit weird Ash asked what that Pokemon was. Like I understand Rotom revealing the entry since it's not personally seen one (aside my gripe of cutaway to the Pokedex in a dangerous, if not emotionally unsettling scene for Lillie), but Ash saw one in SM001. I kinda feel like a quick line along the lines of 'that again?' would have been better.

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
When I saw the title screen I immediately had flashbacks of "Who gets to keep Togepi?"

For someone scared to touch pokemon, that black lizard mon must have been terrifying. I think Lillie was very brave.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Hadn't realised that CITV is airing Pokemon at 07:25, gee that's early. At least they air the same episode as 18:00 (ie, when all the kids have returned home and aren't sleeping).

Dub was fiiine.

Oh yes, James = HOBBS.

[spoil]'You're really gonna Mantyke this!'

Oh cool! Pretty clever...

'How simple can it get! Wobbuffet!'

'Be like an excited Psyduck!'

...what...

'And go for the Golduck!'

Why are you so hit and miss Oak.[/spoil]

Last edited:

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Hadn't realised that CITV is airing Pokemon at 07:25, gee that's early. At least they air the same episode as 18:00 (ie, when all the kids have returned home and aren't sleeping).

Dub was fiiine.

Oh yes, James = HOBBS.

[spoil]'You're really gonna Mantyke this!'

Oh cool! Pretty clever...

'How simple can it get! Wobbuffet!'

'Be like an excited Psyduck!'

...what...

'And go for the Golduck!'

Why are you so hit and miss Oak.[/spoil]

Yeah but that's this is the last episode for a while as Pokemon Sun and Moon disappears off the schedule for after this weekend (airing Guardians Challenge and this episode over the weekend).

Quite a decent episode, enjoyed the references to Gladion and Lusamine. Also liked how Mallow turned up because she was worried about Lillie, I'm quite liking Mallow, she's the female character that we've not had yet, like an older protective sister of sorts.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Great episode, probably my favorite one so far. Rowlet and Principal Oak made me laugh so hard at their antics and it was great to have Lusamine and Gladion referenced and for a little bit of Lillie's backstory about her fear of touching Pokemon to be revealed. I'm also glad that she's getting over her fear little by little by being able to touch the egg at the end of the episode.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
The dub gave me a headache. The raw and subbed versions felt good with their pacing. This one felt way too fast.

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
The last 5 minutes of the episode are probably the best thing the dub has had since BW. They kept unusual tracks and there was silence at some points. SILENCE. NO MUSIC. That's amazing considering that they Mickey Mouse everything by adding unnecessary jingles.

Nebbygetinthebag

This episode is really great Lillie is my favorite character of the SM anime rowlett is so cute and the battle against oricorio was great my favorite part of this episode is when Lillie protect the egg from a salandit that was awesome and Mallow is a good friend with Lillie always worried.The thing I don't like in this episode is togedemaru hyperactive attitude in this episode and of course lillie English dub voice which I have to get used to_Overall this episode is good.

Last edited:

NPT

Just a member
Didn't like the part where Sophocle's annoyingly hyper Togademaru messes around with other Pokémon, but the rest of the episode was great. Lillie got some meaningful character development and Ash used Rowlet for the first time in a trainer battle. Rowlet lost... but at least it put up good fight.

As for the english dub, it's decent. And holy s**t, they actually left the original BGM untouched in the last 5 minuites, and even kept some slience in-between the tracks!! What a pleasant surprise! TPCi really should do this more often.

Music kept: (7)
  • Title Card
  • SM Wild Pokémon battle theme
  • SM Trainer battle theme
  • The M18 track that plays right after Ash and co. hear Lillie's scream.
  • Movie 18 BGM - The Tornado Barrier (This track is awesome!)
  • The egg is safe (Dunno what movie this track is from. Does anybody know?)
  • Sun/Moon Home theme

Last edited:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Finally enough time to properly judge Lillie's dub voice rather than a few lines. She's great.
And I don't like Oricorio.... like at all. But Hobbs' was alright, we won't see it enough for me to grow into liking the thing like I did with Bewear though.

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
I echo those above, a great episode.

It was great to learn more about Lillie and her lonely home life (but she seems very happy with the two people she is living with). The seed has been planted for Lusamine and Gladion but I do wonder what that Salandit was doing or who it belonged to. It must be hard for Lillie to know and love so much about Pokémon but is unable to touch them (until the end of the episode anyway).

The battle was pretty good too. Ash still seems pretty competent when it comes to battling to that is a great thing but with Rowlet being a novice and Oricorio being so strong the result was the right one.

Onto the next one (but apparently not anytime soon)!

DatsRight

Didn't like the part where Sophocle's annoyingly hyper Togademaru messes around with the other Pokémon, but the rest of the episode was great. Lillie got some meaningful character development and Ash used Rowlet for the first time in a trainer battle. Rowlet lost... but at least it put up good fight.

As for the english dub, it's decent. I was not too fond of Lillie's dub voice at first, but it's growing on me. And holy s**t, they actually left the original BGM untouched in the last 5 minuites, and even kept some slience in-between the tracks!! What a pleasant surprise! TPCi really should do this more often.

Music kept: (7)
  • Title Card
  • SM Wild Pokémon battle theme
  • SM Trainer battle theme
  • The track that plays right after Ash and co. hear Lillie's scream.
  • Movie 18 BGM - The Tornado Barrier (This track is awesome!)
  • The egg is safe (Dunno what movie is this track from. Does anybody know?)
  • SM Hometown theme

Watch it turn out to be an oversight like the pilot episode, and during the reairing they'll make it all....DISAPPEAR! :p

Seriously I wouldn't mind a bit more of this, even just a compromise like the early 4Kids episodes where they had SOME Americanised music but kept in nearly all the games tracks everyone was familiar with and helped keep the suspense.

Everything else about this dub however, disappointed me again. The translation is so clunky and cheesy and Lillie's VA just sounds like she's in a static high strung emotion (ironically Ash's VA has it a bit toned down this episode), I don't mind the voice itself but her acting just lacks any of the Japanese VAs soft spoken charm.

Last edited:

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
I'd be happier about the maintained JP BGM if it fit, which I don't think it did. It's always annoyed me how the JP music tends to make mountains out of molehills. Like this episode, for instance; that Salandit was just a wild Pokemon. All that JP music should've toned it down a notch; that Salandit's just a wild Pokemon, but from how over-the-top the JP music sounded, it might as well have been an Ultra Beast. Oh well, at least the dub-exclusive music was good. I especially like that mambo music Oricorio got.

But my favorite change the dub made to this episode was a part of the script that slightly irked me. Ash saying "You can't even touch Rotom?" in the JP version sounded like he was blaming Lillie for being afraid, which is why I fully approve of the dub changing that to "Man... that didn't work, either...". Now he sounds like a concerned friend. Too bad it couldn't mitigate the rest of that scene. Seriously, Pikachu, the Hell???

By the way, here's a pointless but still interesting observation: if "Oricorio" were written in katakana ("オリコリオ"), it'd be a perfect Japanese palindrome.

Pikachu52

Oh Lilly. Please just pet Pikachu you silly person.

As the first episode focusing solely on Lily it does okay. We get to see that she lives on Lusamine's estate, we see a picture of Lusamine and Gladion, we get a confirmation from the butler that Lusamine is away somewhere (Aether Paradise) and a hint of a traumatic event involving Lusamine that's made Lily incapable of touching Pokémon.

Beyond this brief glimpse of Lily's past, and the important character milestone of having her finally feel comfortable enough to touch the egg, it's not particularly eventful or engaging as an episode. It drifts from receiving the egg, to Lily's house, to the battle against Oricorio to Slandit trying to eat the egg, without any climax or point of tension - Even Slandit was chased away fairly quickly. Hardly an exhilarating adventure as the dub title promises.

It's also forms another sad mark of Ash's regression. Not only did Rowlett loose against Oricorio. It failed to land a single hit. Fair enough the butler might be really good, but Oricorio didn't exactly do anything particularly skilled either given it only used two moves. I get that he's in a new region and only just caught Rowlett, but this is still a remarkable demotion considering the battles he was having at the end of XY.

Pikachu was cute throughout the episode, being run over by Togademaru at the start, then sitting perfectly still while Lily tries to pet him. I still think Pikachu looks better with the more detailed animation, darker colours and sharper images of the pervious series.

4/10 - I didn't hate it, it's just not very good.

Last edited: