• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Who's your "go to" for catching?

Jesness

Togekiss Enthusiast
Getting high-level or low catch-rate Pokemon to, "stay in the freaking ball #@$%!" can be a pain; what Pokemon do you use for catching, and what attacks does it have?

TokoyamiTheDark

The Purple Karakasa
Since I transfered most of Galar's PokéDex (including DLC) from my 3DS, and that I am more used to breeding than catching, I have no worries about catching Pokémon in Shield. My PokéDex is almost completed, but I must breed over 200 mons and make them evolve. It's no easy nor quick task either.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Used a Technician Breloom with False Swipe and Spore for catching Pokémon in Ultra Sun. Since Breloom was not re-introduced into Sword/Shield I changed to using a Gallade with False Swipe and Hypnosis for catching purposes.

I usually rely on a false swiper. Got an Aegislash for that which is handy for common recoil moves like take down or double edge since it's immune to it.

For legendaries (mainly during ultra wormhole shiny hunting), I got two level 100 false swipers and a high levelled Parasect that has spore to buy some time. Especially for pokemon with relatively low PP to prevent them from struggling themselves to death.

Redbird

I used this in Gen IV:

Parasect:
False Swipe
Spore
Cut (because it doubled as part of my "HM slave trio")
Dig (free unlimited Escape Ropes)

KillerDraco

I usually keep a Pangoro waiting in the wings for the combination of False Swipe + Scrappy. There's only a few situations where it's really needed, but it sure does make Spectrier easier to whittle down thanks to Scrappy allowing Ghost types to be hit by False Swipe.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I usually use Synchronize Gardevoir to get the nature right and then use Hypnosis for sleep, I use X Accuracy for ones with low catch rate. Then I just lower their health with regular attacks until the health bar is red and I'll throw balls. False Swipe isn't worth the move slot to me, those last few hitpoints are negligible in catch rate anyway.

Luthor

Tapu Koko was really useful in Gen 7 particularly when hunting Legendary/Shiny Pokemon from the Ultra Wormhole. Not only does it have False swipe but it can also have Thunder Wave, Natures Madness and the associated Tapu's Z-Move.

Xaby

SW-3553-0104-8530
Used to be a Parasect who can both use Spore and False Swipe. For catching legendaries in Ultra Sun though I switched to a Scizor False Swiper then a Bulky Venomoth for Sleep Powder (using an X Accuracy before hand) and then boosting with Quiver Dance for Sp Def bulk and additional Speed. If the enemy hits physically hard, I'll use a couple of X Defense too.

For Sword I settled for a Yawn Eviolite Togekiss (the one you get from the in-game trade), who also functions as a Wish-passer.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Mostly any high level Pokémon that can use False Swipe. I mainly use Zacian and Bisharp as they can withstand a lot of damage and stall the wild Pokémon as I use as many Pokéballs as it takes to catch them. Only time that is a problem is when there’s a Sandstorm or Hail in the Wild Area and the Target isn’t immune to the weather effects.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
I liked using Koko when catching stuff from Ultra Space. Since it gets false swipe and thunder wave. Mega Pinsir was handy in Gen VI and VII too. Aerilate false swipe did enough damage to almost everything. After that, just switch into something with sleep or paralysis.

Lele was my usual choice for skill swapping mons in SOS battles, in order to check whether the mon had its hidden ability or not.

In SwSh I don't really have a particular mon. I just use whatever is a useful type that I have at lvl 100. Almost all the mons worth catching are caught through max raids. Since they have the Hidden Abilities and a few perfect IVs. You don't need any strategies besides getting something bulky that can hammer away at stuff.

Jesness

Togekiss Enthusiast
Lots of Quick Balls and False Swiping. I don't enjoy the challenge of catching Pokemon so the sooner I catch them the better
I will usually throw a quick ball before anything else, it actually works a large percent of the time, but then when I use the mon for breeding it's quick balls everywhere! So if I want the mon in any other kind of ball I have to battle it for real. As for actual catching, I've been using a Galade since gen 4. I tend to like sleep vs paralysis so it having Hypnosis on top of False Swipe is ideal. It also has Draining Kiss, to keep it's HP topped up in addition to leftovers. I also gave it Heal Pulse. It's really helpful if the mon I'm trying to catch has an attack that causes recoil damage or to mitigate the effects of Hail/Sandstorm.

NeedsAName

Breloom is just a really handy Pokémon for catching other 'mon, especially wiþ Effect Spore for an ability and False Swipe and Spore and moves. Ball-wise, I always þrow a Quick Ball on þe first turn, and þen use Ultra Balls in later turns or Dusk Balls if þose work better at þat time/location.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I always make sure to have a False Swiper on the party, "just in case". Anything will do the trick. And Quick Balls are a great help

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
While catching Pokemon in the Crown Tundra, I got a lot of use out of the level 90 Lanturn, Brightstar, from an old Sword playthrough. I gave Brightstar Thunder Wave to paralyze the opponent, and she has enough HP and defenses to tank most hits, so she's ideal against certain Legendaries and stonger Pokemon. Granted there were still times when Brightstar would be knocked out by the Legendary during the "Throw ALL the Dusk Balls!" phase of catching, but I always take the time to revive her afterwards and treat her to a curry in Pokemon Camp with lots of rare berries in it, because she's a member of my first full Sword playthrough team so I have a strong attachment to her and her teammates, and I hate the thought of her losing affection and happiness.