• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why almost everybody here hates Iris?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
3 out of 6.

Maybe 2 or 4 out of 6. I'd say ALL of them but that would be a bit cynical. Ha ha.
Nonetheless, that's alot. It means that the writers aren't doing a good job to make you get invested to those characters.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Nonetheless, that's alot. It means that the writers aren't doing a good job to make you get invested to those characters.
I want to believe in some of them, but alas...

Oh, wait, you meant ALL companions till now? I only meant the classmates.

I don't think I wish to say. I don't have the energy to count them all.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Lol insulting people for liking a character is quite ridiculous but I don’t expect much from a poster who would literally cry if someone were to mention that Serena is their least favorite poke girl. It’s okay to prefer a character over another, by all means pick and choose who you like and dislike but insulting other people for liking a character is not okay, and very childish to be frank.

I never blame people for liking any character, quite frankly i couldn't care less who people like or dislike its there wish. I just blame those people who still cry about misty not being a travelling companion and badmouth pokegirls like may, dawn, etc even though they were much better written character than her. As for serna, my favourite pokegirl will always be dawn since she is the benchmark for how a pokegirl should be written and i only defend serena when people stupidly bring the fact that she didn't do anything and basically had a crush on ash even though any person who watched both OS and XY could say that she definitely had way more character development, had better pokemon and had more goal focus than misty had. Its the same way i always defend iris when people always badmouth her. Genwunners are the guys who had habit of badmouthing and well you have to answer them.

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
I never blame people for liking any character, quite frankly i couldn't care less who people like or dislike its there wish. I just blame those people who still cry about misty not being a travelling companion and badmouth pokegirls like may, dawn, etc even though they were much better written character than her. As for serna, my favourite pokegirl will always be dawn since she is the benchmark for how a pokegirl should be written and i only defend serena when people stupidly bring the fact that she didn't do anything and basically had a crush on ash even though any person who watched both OS and XY could say that she definitely had way more character development, had better pokemon and had more goal focus than misty had. Its the same way i always defend iris when people always badmouth her. Genwunners are the guys who had habit of badmouthing and well you have to answer them.

You act as if everyone who likes Misty, “cries” about her leaving. Misty is one of the most memorable characters from the anime (her being one of the first traveling companions being the reason) so she’s got quite a lot of fans but I can guarantee you they don’t all have a problem with her leaving or future companions or sagas. I like Misty but I appreciate the show’s continuing progress with the new addition of characters each region. May and Dawn are two of my favorite characters and without out Misty leaving, we wouldn’t have had them so I see the good and bad in her departure just like any other character. You can’t group every person who likes the OS or Misty as “genwunners,” so please think think before you resort to name calling. I just assumed you really don’t like her because you bring Misty up in threads a lot whenever you want to make a bad comparison.

keepitsimple

site of lies
Well you need to tell that to those doofus goofballs that consider misty one of the best written characters and even stopped watching the show after OS even though the later series were far better than that, i would take iris in terms of solid character anyday over misty.
no i said it to you because you were bringing up misty as a defense of iris when misty is a completely irrelevant factor when determining if iris was or was not a good character

ErinDingo

You act as if everyone who likes Misty, “cries” about her leaving. Misty is one of the most memorable characters from the anime (her being one of the first traveling companions being the reason) so she’s got quite a lot of fans but I can guarantee you they don’t all have a problem with her leaving or future companions or sagas. I like Misty but I appreciate the show’s continuing progress with the new addition of characters each region. May and Dawn are two of my favorite characters and without out Misty leaving, we wouldn’t have had them so I see the good and bad in her departure just like any other character. You can’t group every person who likes the OS or Misty as “genwunners,” so please think think before you resort to name calling. I just assumed you really don’t like her because you bring Misty up in threads a lot whenever you want to make a bad comparison.

Sadly many Misty fans are like that

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools

There are still people who moan about her leaving the show and badmouth the other pokegirls even though they are better treated than her. Just go the social medias and see it which is annoying and those are the people i generally group as genwunners, and well i really don't like her since i think she is massively overrated and was a background character for most of the OS series.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!

There are still people who moan about her leaving the show and badmouth the other pokegirls even though they are better treated than her. Just go the social medias and see it which is annoying and those are the people i generally group as genwunners, and well i really don't like her since i think she is massively overrated and was a background character for most of the OS series.

I like Misty better than Serena, but I wasn't too bummed out on her leaving. They were ending the OS and by the time Johto was around, she overstayed her welcome for a LONG time. (Misty only tagged along with Ash to hound him for destroying her bike... something that is established in the games to cost way too much money to take lightly!)

In terms of poke girls I like as Characters, it is no contest. (Pun not intended.) May and Dawn are the top ones to me with Lillie following behind, then Bonnie and following her is Iris, then Misty (who had less noticeable feats) and finally Lana in regards to the ones I like. (Mallow doesn't do anything and I find Serena to be wasted potential.)

Anyways, wasn't this thread suppose to be about why we hate Iris? My only reason for really not liking her is how her Axew's plot kind of got dumped out of nowhere and how she calls Ash a kid when she is a kid herself. (Though that also makes her the only other pokegirl at the time that wasn't looking up to Ash as a mentor/ idol. So it is kind of a trade off in the things the girl actually does.)

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Just like in the days of CyberCubed!!!! This has turned into a MISTY thread

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
Sadly many Misty fans are like that

But a lot of us aren’t, it’s just kind of unfair to us that aren’t to be considered a “genwunner.” I just wanted to make a point that we shouldn’t be called names but I feel like I derailed this thread lol sorry about that. I’m not even sure why Misty was brought up, I was just trying to respond to one post.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
But a lot of us aren’t, it’s just kind of unfair to us that aren’t to be considered a “genwunner.” I just wanted to make a point that we shouldn’t be called names but I feel like I derailed this thread lol sorry about that. I’m not even sure why Misty was brought up, I was just trying to respond to one post.
Because those kind of threads are more prone to be compared to other characters/Pokegirls, especially with a title thread like this. We already have some Serena threads before, and we all know how they turned out.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!

I like Misty as well.. and there is only one character I have something against... (And it isn't even directly against her.) I am going to explain that very shortly.

Because those kind of threads are more prone to be compared to other characters/Pokegirls, especially with a title thread like this. We already have some Serena threads before, and we all know how they turned out.

The instant someone speaks of Misty or Serena in a negative light, they will swarm you like wasps. I seen a delicate topic complete destroy a thread not too long ago when someone starts talking about controversial opinion. (Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee.)

And before anyone aims their guns at me, I spoke of BOTH girls in a negative way.

To me, Misty stayed way longer than she needed to in the OS and while she has a soft spot in my heart for the nostalgia, I am not denying that she didn't do a whole lot for the span of three sagas and when it was time for her to go, looking back at it, I was honestly glad she was gone. (Chronicles did her some justice/ development... but you get the idea.) That is the reason why she was low on my personal ranking, a lot of time and little development. Funny how her greatest development didn't come until AFTER her run ended.

Compare that to May and Dawn, who had a lot of character development in their run or Lillie who had her arc and developed a lot from that timid wreck in the start of the SM series (Girl was nearly abducted by an extra dimensional jellyfish as a young girl and was left traumatized. That is understandable.) and since that arc... is slow but progressing into something, Misty wasn't that great.

Then there is Serena... who while I don't hate the character, I consider her to be wasted potential who never really gotten anywhere with her goals. (In fact she QUIT her goals and to me, she and the ship involving her and Ash are overrated due to how the shipping was the only thing about Serena's character that was high lighted from beginning to end... rather than actually giving her weight on her own. Which as expected between Ash and all the other girls, he leaves behind for another saga... like Iris, Dawn, May and Misty... amounting the entire ship to pretty much nothing in the end, like the others to me.)

At least Bonnie had a more entertaining charm to her and stood out once Zygarde started to come into play. (Though she is inferior to Max.)

Now to continue with Iris since THAT is who this thread is about.

For most of the series, she was feisty and arrogant. I mentioned how her Axew didn't really develop and the girls arrogant side is shown with her Dragonite. (Think Ash's Charizard before it got its head out of the clouds, except it never really gets anywhere.) The fact the last third of Gen 5's anime was 100% filler and nothing happened besides Ash going home kind of wasted that potential. (That is a recurring feeling for some of these characters being low to me, it is either that, nothing going for them or expectations that were not there.)

In fact, she handles wild dragon types better than the pokemon she has. (Looking at the Hydreigon episode... THAT is the highest point of her character to me, when she was able to calm that pokemon down. Hydreigon... a pokemon that is infamous in lore for being incredibly destructive and in the competitive scene is a bleeping unstoppable monster before fairy types were introduced and even after fairies came along, all you have to do is weaken the fairy type before you bring Hydreigon out to use flash cannon or just get him out of there.)

The Hydreigon episode was what gave her a low medium rank on my list, higher than Misty which I already stated my problems with her and higher than Lana. (Who unlike Mallow, actually had moments I liked, rather than leaving me indifferent.)

Last edited:

solrocknroll

S-Class Indigo League Fan
I love Iris, but I can see how her speech patterns may not have been to everyone's taste. I was never really bothered though. I can also see how Axew got a bit neglected in terms of development despite focused on so much. I personally think her ending up with Tepig and Cilan ending up with Snivy would have been interesting for both of them (and in that scenario, maybe Oshawott would have actually evolved!)

chalkus

Outward Prejudice
Misty is only memorable because she was in the first season. If she was in the middle of the pack, she'd already be forgotten.

Anyway, the reasons people hate Iris are:

1. She challenged Ash and didn't take his crap

2. She beat him in actual battles

3. She won actual Pokemon tournaments instead of doing some side activity

4. She was sarcastic and witty while also being tough when the situation called for it

5. She had uber strong Pokémon and wasn't relegated to the cutsey ones

6. She was independent and didn't need a guy to save her

7. She was black

Yet depite that, she was only the second best girl. Can anyone guess who was number 1?

keepitsimple

site of lies
Misty is only memorable because she was in the first season. If she was in the middle of the pack, she'd already be forgotten.

Anyway, the reasons people hate Iris are:

1. She challenged Ash and didn't take his crap

2. She beat him in actual battles

3. She won actual Pokemon tournaments instead of doing some side activity

4. She was sarcastic and witty while also being tough when the situation called for it

5. She had uber strong Pokémon and wasn't relegated to the cutsey ones

6. She was independent and didn't need a guy to save her

7. She was black

Yet depite that, she was only the second best girl. Can anyone guess who was number 1?

lol the haterz r so stuped they can't handle a tough independent woman amirite XDDD the hatirs dont like cuz queen iris keeps slaying every1 gurl lol owned #rekt!!!

Last edited:

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
lol the haterz r so stuped they can't handle a tough independent woman amirite XDDD the hatirs dont like cuz queen iris keeps slaying every1 gurl lol owned #rekt!!!

I think the main reason towards the hatred of iris is her catchphrase you are such a little kid, which did kind of become annoying and if you add it up with the fact that BW series is very hated series she gets all the hate.

Moonlight Starlight

I think the main reason towards the hatred of iris is her catchphrase you are such a little kid, which did kind of become annoying and if you add it up with the fact that BW series is very hated series she gets all the hate.
If it's just the phrase word that bothers them then move on . Stop taking the phrase word so seriously those who won't let it go. Think about the good stuff of her what makes her different from the other pokegirls like she we don't know about her family she was a orphan and be mysteriously of her past.

Like I said before the last time.

Kirby Dragons

Iris is actually my favorite companion. I didn't think she was annoying most of the time, I just thought she was fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.