• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why almost everybody here hates Iris?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatsRight

I don't remember the episode Brock punched Misty, though the episode he gave her a taste of her own ear pulling gag was satisfying.

I think what made Misty tolerable was that while she was sometimes abusive, she got crap back at times (while more and more anime/cartoons tend to skirt away from comical female abuse, even in terms of well earned comeuppance factor).

Iris wasn't nearly as bad, but the lack of response made her shtick more bland. It's the same as when the twerps stopped reacting to Team Rocket's shtick, it instantly went from funny to repetitive and annoying because no one was bouncing off of it or giving it variation. An egotistical moron is always gonna toot their own horn like a broken record, it's the reactions that make it.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
Because it was literally written to be funny. I have a problem with it because it’s awakward when he doesn’t play along with the teasing. Misty and Ash constantly picked on each other and never intended it to be harmful. Not saying Iris ever did anything with the intent of harm either before you try and twist my words.

Speaking of twisting my words, when did I say Brock punched Misty, maliciously? Did I ever say he intended to harm her? Nope. It was for comedy.

The episode is Bulbasaur and the Hidden Village, go watch it.
I added the maliciously. Misty hurted Ash maliciously. That’s they can’t be compared. Apples and oranges. And I don’t twist words.

As far as your “and never intended it to be harmful” refer to the first episode.

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
I don't remember the episode Brock punched Misty, though the episode he gave her a taste of her own ear pulling gag was fun.

I think what made Misty tolerable was that while she was sometimes abusive, she got crap back at times (while more and more anime/cartoons tend to shift from female abuse, even in terms of comeuppance factor). Iris wasn't nearly as bad, but the lack of response made her shtick more bland. It's the same as when the twerps stopped reacting to Team Rocket's shtick, it instantly went from funny to repetitive and annoying because no one was bouncing off of it.

Bulbasaur and the hidden village. He punches her twice.

Xuxuba

And that’s what makes their dynamic so strange. Ash and Misty enjoyed roasting each other which was usually funny for the audience, but with Ash ignoring Iris it came off as awkward.
Also let's not forget Misty had legitimate reasons to be angry at him as he could be quite rude sometimes, not to mention his recklessness would lead his pokemon to getting hurt in the beginning.
Meanwhile, BW Ash can act like a newbie, but he was far more gentle and less rude than OS Ash and BW Ash would rarely put his pokemon in danger.

You see, i don't mind friendly banter at all. In fact, i think it can be quiite funny sometimes. However, when the retorts are unjustified, one-sided and repetitive, then it is not fun to watch.

Not that i hated her because of the gag but i do understand why people were annoyed by it.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
Also let's not forget Misty had legitimate reasons to be angry at him as he could be quite rude sometimes, not to mention quite reckless too, which would lead his pokemon to getting hurt in the beginning.
Meanwhile, BW Ash can act like a newbie, but he was far more gentle and less rude than OS Ash. Also, he would rarely put his pokemon in danger.

You see, i don't mind friendly banter at all. In fact, i think it can be quiite funny sometimes. However, when the retorts are unjustified, one-sided and repetitive, then it is not fun to watch.

Not that i hated her because of the gag but i do understand why people were annoyed by it.
Even if Ash made mistakes, Misty isn’t his mother. If she’s angry with him there is plenty of other reasons to outlet her frustration. I’m not arguing that Iris’ catchphrase was a good thing or even funny for that matter. I just don’t get how people justify Misty attacking Ash but so bothered by Iris teasing him... one sided or not.

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
I added the maliciously. Misty hurted Ash maliciously. That’s they can’t be compared. Apples and oranges. And I don’t twist words.

As far as your “and never intended it to be harmful” refer to the first episode.

That was probably the one and only moment in OS that I think any of the twerps hit each other with malicious intent. But judging their entire dynamic off of one moment isn’t practical, which is why I made a point to not that with Iris. People love to compare Misty and Iris but I bet if you watched episodes of Os to BW back to back, you probably wouldn’t feel the same.

But like I stated earlier, Iris isn’t a bad character at all. She just has the worst interactions with him out of all of his previous female traveling companions which I guess could be blamed on Ash himself.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
That was probably the one and only moment in OS that I think any of the twerps hit each other with malicious intent. But judging their entire dynamic off of one moment isn’t practical, which is why I made a point to not that with Iris. People love to compare Misty and Iris but I bet if you watched episodes of Os to BW back to back, you probably wouldn’t feel the same.

But like I stated earlier, Iris isn’t a bad character at all. She just has the worst interactions with him out of all of his previous female traveling companions which could be blamed on Ash himself.
Which is a fair and valid opinion. I disagree with you about Misty not hitting him out of malicious intent throught all of OS besides that one episode. And I agree Iris and Misty are nothing alike. I might prefer Iris over Misty but was she was more childish than Misty was.

DatsRight

I think it was that Iris mostly teased for the sake of looking smart, she was pretentious, but not particularly vindictive about it. She was the child who used condescending 'adult speak' to make herself look mature.

Misty was more the self righteous stiff. She got frustrated or spiteful when people didn't respect or listen to her. She could also jump to conclusions like in the first episode and begrudged the idea of liking Ash, spending most of the early episodes making a vigorous fuss about her bike to hide it.

Basically both taunted Ash out of ego problems, but Iris was far less out of grudge. (Though SM Misty is arguably more like Iris than her old self).

Last edited:

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Was not a fan of her but I do think she blows any of the SUMO cast out of the water.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Platina2000 said:
Her catchphrase, 'your such a kid', is the reason why I can't get myself to like her. Every single episode...I'm sorry that it's a stupid reason, but it got old after a while.

She didn't say it in every episode, however. But even if she had, I'd be more upset regarding how she developed than by a catchphrase.

I really got to question what episodes were people watching. I strongly remember episodes where Ash clapped back on Iris. This narrative that Ash was just some punching bag during BW is odd, especially when you have people glamorizing MistyxAsh like the girl wasn’t flat out using objects on him. When I have time I’ll edit this and provide moments I can remember

I also find it telling how people throw a fit here over people claiming a crush made up most of a certain character but can’t separate a 4 word phrase from Iris’

Misty was plain ole abusive. Iris was just obnoxious and annoying.

The claim was objectively false.

Ash-Pikachu

Outside of a few bouts of competitive battling with Ash, she didn't really help facilitate any interactions with Ash at all. Dawn and May had the benefit of character development where both were mentored by Ash to overcome their own struggles and Dawn even contributed to many of the strategies Ash uses in battle at all. Iris practically did nothing. She had a few tidbits here and there with Excadrill and Dragonite, but her interactions with Ash specifically was pretty boring and her goal wasn't nearly as fleshed out and dynamic as Dawn, May, and Serena's which is why she became the dullest Pokegirl in the anime thus far.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
Outside of a few bouts of competitive battling with Ash, she didn't really help facilitate any interactions with Ash at all. Dawn and May had the benefit of character development where both were mentored by Ash to overcome their own struggles and Dawn even contributed to many of the strategies Ash uses in battle at all. Iris practically did nothing. She had a few tidbits here and there with Excadrill and Dragonite, but her interactions with Ash specifically was pretty boring and her goal wasn't nearly as fleshed out and dynamic as Dawn, May, and Serena's which is why she became the dullest Pokegirl in the anime thus far.
Iris and Ash had plenty of interactions. She was always cheering him during battles and even went as far as to start a marching band with Cilan to cheer him up when he battling Roxie. The first 4 episodes were dedicated to establishing a bond between those two. I’m not going to say that they’re best friends or had this super close bond but they definitely had meaningful interactions. And I disagree about her goal not being fleshed out, especially it being worse than Serena’s.

blizzardblaze

Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime
At least Serena made some progression and had a resolve to keep going forward and improving herself, unlike Iris. Her goal was understandable but the way she went at it was kind of eh.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
At least Serena made some progression and had a resolve to keep going forward and improving herself, unlike Iris. Her goal was understandable but the way she went at it was kind of eh.
Iris’ resolve was that she loved Dragon Pokemon and she wanted to live up to the Elders, Drayden and her old teacher’s expectations

DatsRight

Iris' pride was also targeted in terms of development, routinely playing on the fact she couldn't control her Pokemon (which felt fitting for a Dragon type master, needing to have the power to tame mighty beasts) as well as other competitive terms, like accepting wins have to be meaningful and through her own skills.

Genaller

Silver Soul
I feel like Iris would not only make a better rival than a supporting character but it would actually make a lot of sense for her to win the Pokemon League and become the next Pokemon champion like she is in the games.
Yeah that would’ve been a lot better though given how she was portrayed in the actual series she has no business doing any of those things any time soon.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
When I first saw Iris, a part of me hoped that she would be Ash's final challenge for the Legend Badge and she just followed him because she mowed down every single challenger and followed Ash because "Meh, this guy might give me a decent challenge. Let's see how he goes through this region."

Status
Not open for further replies.