• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why almost everybody here hates Iris?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I'm not really sure, if the catch phrase is really the big problem with. I mean, if she didn't had this, would she be more liked by the fans. I doubt it.
Yes, she would, and people like @VoltTacklingPika have given very detailed explanations throughout this thread about why just that one phrase mattered so much, which you have chosen to blatantly ignore for your ridiculous fanservice argument, which comes across as you just making up something to complain about, for the purpose of taking the SJW stance.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
Yes, she would, and people like @VoltTacklingPika have given very detailed explanations throughout this thread about why just that one phrase mattered so much, which you have chosen to blatantly ignore for your ridiculous fanservice argument, which comes across as you just making up something to complain about, for the purpose of taking the SJW stance.
Sorry to say but simply bringing up race in a conversation doesn't equate to taking a "SJW" stance. I really wish that word would die out because it's over killed at this point.

keepitsimple

site of lies
Sorry to say but simply bringing up race in a conversation doesn't equate to taking a "SJW" stance. I really wish that word would die out because it's over killed at this point.
I wasn't going to mention him bringing up race, but that was a whole other issue with slapstick-olivia's post lmao. Wasn't a great idea to bring up Iris being black as an example of her "unattractiveness". Talk about unfortunate implications. Yikes =(

But ditto on wanting the term SJW to die off

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
I wasn't going to mention him bringing up race, but that was a whole other issue with slapstick-olivia's post lmao. Wasn't a great idea to bring up Iris being black as an example of her "unattractiveness". Talk about unfortunate implications. Yikes =(

But ditto on wanting the term SJW to die off
I just assumed they were saying a good proportion of America (or Japan I guess) prefer European standards of beauty over African. It was definitely something that could of been worded better but I don’t think they meant “Iris is ugly because she’s black” you get me? However I prefer to keep race out of these types of arguments because it always turn ugly.

keepitsimple

site of lies
I just assumed they were saying a good proportion of America (or Japan I guess) prefer European standards of beauty over African. It was definitely something that could of been worded better but I don’t think they meant “Iris is ugly because she’s black” you get me? However I prefer to keep race out of these types of arguments because it always turn ugly.
I would have assumed that too if this thread wasn't specifically asking why the general opinion on *SPPF* is negative towards Iris. Y'know, a forum that can be accessed internationally where not everyone is American or Japanese and most people's locations are anonymous. The question given in this thread wasn't about America or Japan

It doesn't make sense to say that people who dislike Iris on this site only do because they wanted to see more fan service after dismissing the reason people already gave for why they don't like Iris

Last edited:

Moonlight Starlight

If it's just the phrase word that bothers them then move on . Stop taking the phrase word so seriously those who won't let it go. Think about the good stuff of her what makes her different from the other pokegirls like she we don't know about her family she was a orphan and be mysteriously of her past.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I don't get why people dislike her, I liked her a lot. She wasn't as good as May or Dawn, but she was better than Misty for me.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Everyone pretty much hit it, but I'm going to give my reasons as to why I dislike (note that it's not hate) Iris. There's no hidden meaning to what I say but think what you will:

*The infamous "you're such a kid" catchphrase. It's not the teasing as I'm used to that type of banter irl. It's how it's basically their entire dynamic. There's no "Huh, he's actually much more capable than I thought" moment that sticks. I understand the hypocrisy in another child calling a child a kid (along with the common "girl thinks she's more mature than her male peers" trope) but it's annoying. At least with the previous PokéGirls they showed enough faith in Ash & vice versa to show they're friends. Iris's snide comments don't really make BW funnier: that belongs to Cilan's e v a l u a t i o n s.

Her Pokémon: I hate all of them except Excadrill. Axew was a useless crybaby who only made situations worse, Emolga's Attract gag was better with Snivy, and god that Dragonite handed to her to was really nervous wracking. Give her Deino/Hydreigon as the disobedience fits its species more. Most of their focus episodes followed the same "Pokémon has a falling out with Iris so she resolves it with friendship" pattern. I still don't like the fact that Axew never evolved. Her Pokémon never felt like they were adding on to her character beyond the traditional dynamics of MCs and their party.

The dream: Was all over the place. She never seemed to care about becoming a Dragon Master as much as she should. The goal's vague description doesn't help.

Genaller

Silver Soul
Everyone pretty much hit it, but I'm going to give my reasons as to why I dislike (note that it's not hate) Iris. There's no hidden meaning to what I say but think what you will:

*The infamous "you're such a kid" catchphrase. It's not the teasing as I'm used to that type of banter irl. It's how it's basically their entire dynamic. There's no "Huh, he's actually much more capable than I thought" moment that sticks. I understand the hypocrisy in another child calling a child a kid (along with the common "girl thinks she's more mature than her male peers" trope) but it's annoying. At least with the previous PokéGirls they showed enough faith in Ash & vice versa to show they're friends. Iris's snide comments don't really make BW funnier: that belongs to Cilan's e v a l u a t i o n s.

Well I don’t know about sticking, but to be fair she actually does acknowledge that Ash is no longer a kid during his battle with Stephan (yet still uses the infamous phrase afterwards). Agreed with you on everything else regarding Iris and her Pokémon.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Iris was just introduced at the wrong place at the wrong time.She'd be less hated if the person she was always picking on wasn't an experienced trainer and was just a complete novice like a Bianca.But whatever,I'm done talking about this topic and more than likely won't touch on it ever again.

Last edited:

Platina2000

Her catchphrase, 'your such a kid', is the reason why I can't get myself to like her. Every single episode...I'm sorry that it's a stupid reason, but it got old after a while.

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
One thing I do find odd is people say Ash and Iris bantered like Ash/Misty....but...they really didn't. Ash usually didn't respond to Iris teasing him at all.

If you want to see Ash banter with a pokegirl after Misty, go watch Ash/May's arguments or a few of Ash/Dawn's. In fact I'm pretty sure Ash and May did the most amount of bickering of any of the girls after Misty. All the other girls he's either too nice around or he just ignores.

And that’s what makes their dynamic so strange. Ash and Misty enjoyed roasting each other which was usually funny for the audience, but with Ash ignoring Iris it came off as awkward.

I don’t hate Iris though. I actually enjoyed her interactions with Cilan. I just think out of all Ash’s female companions, his interactions with Iris were lacking the most and since Ash is the star of the show that can definitely have a huge effect on people’s opinion of Iris.

I don’t think she deserves all the hate she gets at all though. The only character I’ve ever found to be that annoying is Max.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
And that’s what makes their dynamic so strange. Ash and Misty enjoyed roasting each other which was usually funny for the audience, but with Ash ignoring Iris it came off as awkward.

I don’t hate Iris though. I actually enjoyed her interactions with Cilan. I just think out of all Ash’s female companions, his interactions with Iris were lacking the most and since Ash is the star of the show that can definitely have a huge effect on people’s opinion of Iris.

I don’t think she deserves all the hate she gets at all though. The only character I’ve ever found to be that annoying is Max.
I really got to question what episodes were people watching. I strongly remember episodes where Ash clapped back on Iris. This narrative that Ash was just some punching bag during BW is odd, especially when you have people glamorizing MistyxAsh like the girl wasn’t flat out using objects on him. When I have time I’ll edit this and provide moments I can remember

I also find it telling how people throw a fit here over people claiming a crush made up most of a certain character but can’t separate a 4 word phrase from Iris’

Last edited:

DatsRight

Bonnie was also twice as snide and troublesome as Iris (and even had the same dub actor amping up the shrillness), and unlike Iris almost never got put in her place.

I think Ash was awkwardly written in BW and XY, his interactions were becoming increasingly bland and automated, he usually had the most vanilla chemistries with everyone but his Pokemon. He had SOME moments of life in BW but by XYZ he was pretty much a full on robotic stock hero (maybe Serena's kiss sprung him back to life :p). SM has definitely improved in that regard, maybe Iris would have more potential in a return appearance.

I really got to question what episodes were people watching. I strongly remember episodes where Ash clapped back on Iris. This narrative that Ash was just some punching bag during BW is odd, especially when you have people glamorizing MistyxAsh like the girl wasn’t flat out using objects on him. When I have time I’ll edit this and provide moments I can remember

Maybe not a punching bag, just passive I guess. Punching bag if anything would imply he made some sort of response like he does to being kicked around in OS or SM, but as mentioned, Ash was becoming more and more liable to 'stonewall' anything aimed at him.

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK

I also find it telling how people throw a fit here over people claiming a crush made up most of a certain character but can’t separate a 4 word phrase from Iris’

I literally mentioned nothing about her catch phrase. And Misty wasn’t the only one who used objects in OS. Brock even punched Misty in an episode and I don’t see anyone complaining about that. Misty wasn’t the only person who acted like that in OS, pretty much the whole cast did. I guess now a days people are too sensitive to appreciate the comedy, everything has to be all sugar spice and everything nice I suppose. I never mentioned having a problem with how Iris acted towards Ash, my problem is responses, or lack of.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
I literally mentioned nothing about her catch phrase. And Misty wasn’t the only one who used objects in OS. Brock even punched Misty in an episode and I don’t see anyone complaining about that. Misty wasn’t the only person who acted like that in OS, pretty much the whole cast did. I guess now a days people are too sensitive to appreciate the comedy, everything has to be all sugar spice and everything nice I suppose. I never mentioned having a problem with how Iris acted towards Ash, my problem is responses, or lack of.
That was directed towards your “lack of reponse” claim. I’d also like to see the episode Brock punched Misty maliciously. You can’t say “people are too sensitive to appreciate comedy” because A. What’s “comedic” is subjective and B. How are you gonna defend Misty slapping and hitting Ash but have a problem with Ash not reacting to a small tease he never took that serious?

If episodes of Ash clapping back/insulting Iris is what you want here you go:

The Path That Leads To Goodbye
Climbing the Tower to Sucess
A Sandile Gusher of Change
Triple Leaders, Team Threats
Dreams by the Yard Full
The Bloom Is on Axew!
There’s A New Gym Leader In Town

And those are just episodes I can think of

Last edited:

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
That was directed towards your “lack of reponse” claim. I’d also like to see the episode Brock punched Misty maliciously. You can’t say “people are too sensitive to appreciate comedy” because A. What’s “comedic” is subjective and B. How are you gonna defend Misty slapping and hitting Ash but have a problem with Ash not reacting to a small tease he never took that serious?

Because it was literally written to be funny. I have a problem with it because it’s awakward when he doesn’t play along with the teasing. Misty and Ash constantly picked on each other and never intended it to be harmful. Not saying Iris ever did anything with the intent of harm either before you try and twist my words.

Speaking of twisting my words, when did I say Brock punched Misty, maliciously? Did I ever say he intended to harm her? Nope. It was for comedy. Although actually this could be debated, considering she was teasing him about his crush on a girl and he felt embarrassed and punched her to keep her quiet. But eh, that’s another discussion.

The episode is Bulbasaur and the Hidden Village, go watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.