• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why are all pokemon characters white?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OOOh, there will be so many trolls in this thread by the time it dies unless it is closed first.
Anyway, has anybody else noticed that almost every single main character, rival, villain, gym leader, frontier brain, and COTD they have ever featured on the show has been white? Brock and Palace Maven Spencer are the only two that do not appear 100% white; Brock's skin appears to have a Mexican color tone, while Spencer looks like he may be from India (even there it's pretty dilluted).
Does this strike anyone else as odd? No I'm not talking down against the show; I intend to remain a fanatic until either the day I die or the day the show gets cancelled; but I just think this is a bit wierd.

umbreon_shadow27

Dark Trainer
You're right.I never noticed that..............

Dan The Poke Man

MEGAMEGAMEGA
...I think it's because they might of forgotten to put black people in the 1st season so if they start doing it now, it might look racist.

masterleo

Order Up!
I think it's because their aren't a lot black people in japan, so they don't get much flack about it.

Alpha Gamer

Strength & Strategy
Aren't they all Japanese?

Rommath

▲_▲
Yep, and that's the reason they tried to get rid of him for Tracey, and we all know how that turned out...

When the show turns to the Sinnoh battle frontier there will be Arcade Star Dahlia. She's definitely not white. And also, will you watch the anime if all the characters actually look Japanese? I think not. The asian look has never been too popular at all. *throws poisonous glare at Fu Manchu*

lucario is best

shiny seeker
i dont mind but it would be nice to see mixed culture or a main black person no affence ment

Profesco

gone gently
I think it's merely because clearly articulating ethnicites isn't a priority. I would be shocked if it was intentional discrimination, and mildly surprised if it was a strategy for marketing the show/games/whathaveyou.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I wouldn't call them "white", just light-skinned.

It probably has to do with Japan having a large population of light-skinned people.

But Ash and Brock are a little darker.

BlueVapor

I think it's because their aren't a lot black people in japan, so they don't get much flack about it.

^This is what I was thinking.

I think because Japan consists of mostly white people, the anime also consists of mostly white people.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.

But there also aren't many blonde, blue-eyed people in Japan and a lot of characters in the Pokemon anime and in other anime are blonde and blue-eyed so...

Do they just pick and choose what they like?

TicoPokemonMaster

^ how many people have the color of James's hair in Japan?

Status
Not open for further replies.