• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why are Anime exclusive characters created when Game Characters are so marketable ?

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Why Rinto, Horace, Kricketina, Visquez etc when we could have Wally, Galar Gym leaders , Surge, Bede etc??
Very good question
Idk the answer … I wonder why really

Sceptilee

We should appreciate those done right, like Paul as everyone has already mentioned. The characters from the games often have set personalities that we are already aware of, original characters help give the anime more identity. Unless they show up when a League starts lol, then you know exactly why they're there!

Zweilous

The gum you like is Go-ing to come back in style
Rinto was probably inspired by Wally, but his personality is quite different. I don't think Wally would have worked as well. Kricketina doesn't really share traits with any Bug-based character; even Bugsy wouldn't work, because Pinsir are in his home region and that was a big plot point for the episode, and setting up the Pinsir/Heracros dynamic. Horace is very much his own character. And aside from the likes of Nessa, most Galar NPCs are hideous creatures that barely resemble humans.

No clue why Visquez was subbed in for Surge. I thought the show was building up to a rematch, since Visquez mentioned he was in training. But nah, I guess Surge was too busy and never visited Vermilion City again lol.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Glad Rinto is being compared to Wally as opposed to Sawyer.

I've always felt Sawyer was closer to Brendan with just a few elements of Wally throw in the mix for variety and fitting the theme of that series
Because the writers probably want more flexibility and fluidity with their characters
They want their own characterisations and stories without tying them to a game character
Thanks. I came here to say pratically just that.

Just to complement: game characters have a "set" personality and story. Granted, the anime's played around with A LOT in the past, even subverting it (Shauna in the games and Shauna in the anime might be two completly different, unrelated people). But there's so much you can do specially because there's still a few things they have to stick with, like for example, outfits. As much as it is a minor part, it's still part of the character and they have to be consistent with those.

Also, it feels like nowadays they are trying to have the franchise, as a whole, be more - How can I say? - homogenized. Even if the anime diverges from the game A LOT, they are kind of doing some adjustments to be more in line with how game characters are on their media of origin. Iris being made a champion like she is in the games is a prime example of that. But you could say the same for Dawn, who kept her DP outfit because, well, that's what she is wearing on BDSP (even though those had a degree of customization). I'd say that's even the Serena why her team was kept unchanged as well.

tsunamimijumaru

Some Anime exclusive characters are great I love Paul and Alain but when they're only cotd like visuqez and the bug girl they feel pointless unless actually used as recurring characters and are expanded on.

Rinto had potential but he was literally just there for Farfetch'd development. If they wanted female character they should have just used Gloria and Instead of Cerise and the assistants just use Magnolia and Sonia heck even hop could have been an assistant instead of introducing him late just to bounce off Goh in the M8. I find it weird that he's not started his journey but then you got Marnie in the Ultra Class trying to get Spikemuth on the map.

Luthor

Why Rinto, Horace, Kricketina, Visquez etc when we could have Wally, Galar Gym leaders , Surge, Bede etc??

My guess is partially that they wanted to make it more like Online battling where literally anyone could be your next challenger. Also some like Kricketina probably were just designed so as to fit into both Ash and Goh's stories and some were probably just there as people would be disappointed if the battle was quite short if it was less of a problem if they were just COTD rather than a major challenger. Personally I'd have at least have him battle all the gym leaders from Galar and the Galar rivals but guess they decided against it.

pardusco

"The oppression of Poké Balls."
I find it mildly infuriating that they take their sweet time to introduce game characters that are very popular among Pokemon fans, (Marnie and Galar gym leaders for example) but have no qualms with giving us a million OC COTDs that nobody outside of the anipoke community will ever care about. Rinto is a bootleg Wally and you can't tell me otherwise lol.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
It’s a matter of flexibility. While the anime has changed up game characterizations before, making an OC from the ground up leads to less INO syndrome and more flexibility.

Jangobadass

It stems from the old days back when the games didn't have enough characters for a weekly series. It also doesn't help that the original showrunners didn't want to adapt the games (which, to be fair, didn't give them much to work with).

Though they eased up on it as the series went on. SM was almost the culmination of this with almost every Alola character appearing, often multiple times, with nary a show OC in sight :D

...Unfortunately, PM2019 is a step backwards with a shocking number of Galar characters getting shafted (Thanks Arceus for the side animes!). Though it is somewhat evened out by characters from other regions appearing with increasing frequency.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Legends Arceus is a masterpiece & SV will be too!
It stems from the old days back when the games didn't have enough characters for a weekly series. It also doesn't help that the original showrunners didn't want to adapt the games (which, to be fair, didn't give them much to work with).

Though they eased up on it as the series went on. SM was almost the culmination of this with almost every Alola character appearing, often multiple times, with nary a show OC in sight :D

...Unfortunately, PM2019 is a step backwards with a shocking number of Galar characters getting shafted (Thanks Arceus for the side animes!). Though it is somewhat evened out by characters from other regions appearing with increasing frequency.
We got every SM game character in the main anime except Ultra Recon Squad, which is impressive
Galar characters did get shafted which is sad

For Kanto: We've seen every relevant game character adapted in some way or form, except if you count Green
Johto: Janine, Will, Karen, HGSS TR Admins
Hoenn: Sidney, Glacia, Phoebe, Wally, Courtney, Max (TA dude), Zinnia, Aarune
Sinnoh: BF except Palmer
Unova: Hugh, Benga, Marshal, Grimsley, Shauntal
Kalos: Battle Maison top 4 (Forgot what they are called), AZ, Emma, Sina and Dexio
Alola: URS
Galar: Bede, Milo, Nessa, Kabu, Gordie, Melony, Avery, Klara, Mustard, Honey, Peony, Peonia