• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why are Dawn's Pokemon so underdeveloped?

Torpoleon

Well I think that Dawn's pokemon aren't underdeveloped. Misty got 2 journeis in 2 regions, and she was more underdeveloped than Dawn, because her pokemon almost didn't appear in compotitions & episodes that were focuse on them. I think that Piplup is doing the main difference, if you compare it to Togepi.
Have you forgotten that Misty is a gym leader so she challenges people?

Is the reason why people think Dawn's Pokemon are so underdeveloped because 4/5 of her Pokemon are little.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Have you forgotten that Misty is a gym leader so she challenges people?

Is the reason why people think Dawn's Pokemon are so underdeveloped because 4/5 of her Pokemon are little.

She almost didn't use her pokemon for main battles. she had a Psyduck and Goldeen that almost didn't fight, not to mention Togepi. I know that Dawn is different because she is doing contests, because of it Dawn and her pokemon are getting more screentime.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Misty's Pokemon got the least development and screentime of the three girls. While now they're being used at the Gym, when she was a main character her Pokemon hardly did much and getting to see her in a real battle was a rarity.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
I don't think all of Dawn's pokemon are underdeveloped. I think they focus way too much on Piplup, and now Cyndaquil. They have completely forgotten about Buneary and Pachirisu, they rarely appear anymore.

Buechs44

Aipom Master
Yeah true. But why always keep her Pokemon as pre-evos? If they've been through so much development, why haven't Buneary or Cyndaquil evolved? At least Buneary. I mean, come on, it and Ambipom were the only loyal Pokemon to her since she had them. I'm sure their friendship level is high enough for the rabbit to evolve. Also, I was almost certain that the prize from the Hearthome Tag-Battle Tournament would showcase Buneary evolving.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Yeah true. But why always keep her Pokemon as pre-evos? If they've been through so much development, why haven't Buneary or Cyndaquil evolved? At least Buneary. I mean, come on, it and Ambipom were the only loyal Pokemon to her since she had them. I'm sure their friendship level is high enough for the rabbit to evolve. Also, I was almost certain that the prize from the Hearthome Tag-Battle Tournament would showcase Buneary evolving.

They might feel that Lopunny would ruin the dynamic it has with Pikachu

J-boogie200

Dawn's pokemon were all handled perfectly, IMO. Just like Dawn, herself, they all were handled to their best potential, or are going to. This saga is so not over yet. :)

flygonabsol99

shes a contest person not a battler.contest people tend to have cute pokemon.most of her pokemon fit that description

knux-the-killer

Whatever.
Anti-evolution team is still weak, even in the anime.
If she wins the grand festival with that party will be a joke. A very bad joke.

We all know that piplup will evolve when gible's brain get bigger (in other way: never), pachirisu is weak without any other way and seems with some miracle will get a togekiss.

Buneary's evolution will not murder any writer, geez. Lopunny is still cuter than buneary, what the heck they don't evolve the rabbit anyway?

BM14murph

Master Collector
If Dawn wins the GF i think i'm going to cry
She just isn't good enought to win it at all

My predictions is that zoey will beat her in the GF as she is the better coordinator and with upcoming pokemon like gardevoir/Gallade, gastrodon, mismagius and leafeon she can slaughter her

I think the only one who has been neglected out of dawns team is buneary. Pachirisu had it's initial episode which was ok and then not too long ago learned superfang and got a bit of development. Buneary has been horribly treated sure it's in nearly if not all appeal rounds in contests but hasn't been given an episode for herself in ages.

They need to either evolve her (the better option) or give her a new move

They really should've adressed this before giving her another new pokemon so soon after cyndaquil. Well maybe they will as we have no idea when togekiss is making an appearance

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
What is with everyone and evolution? It's like you can't become a good trainer/coordinator without evolving all your Pokemon. How you all watched kanto and Johto with Ash's little team of Pikachu, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Cyndaquil, and Totodile I'll never know. Pikachu's beaten legendary Pokemon and he's tiny.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Whatever.
Anti-evolution team is still weak, even in the anime.

I hope you haven't forgotten that our beloved Ash had a team with 3 unevolved Pokemon (and one that didn't even battle) during most of Kanto. He did fine with that team. Pikachu, Bulbasaur, and Squirtle are the Pokemon I'm refering to. I don't see how Dawn's team, which will include only one more unevolved Pokemon than Ash had, would be considered weak.

J-boogie200

What is with everyone and evolution? It's like you can't become a good trainer/coordinator without evolving all your Pokemon. How you all watched kanto and Johto with Ash's little team of Pikachu, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Cyndaquil, and Totodile I'll never know. Pikachu's beaten legendary Pokemon and he's tiny.

I completely agree.

Ash's Bulbasaur and Squirtle, May's Skitty, and Dawn's Buneary(kinda) are completely fine where they are.

ijea4444

I wondered this at first too, but after the Akebi Contest I kind of stopped thinking of it.

Piplup - Reliable, not amazing but reliable and always does something good.
Buneary- Poke-stylist abilites and great with Ice Beam.
Pachirisu- Super Fang
Buizel - Ice Aqua Jet
Ambipom- Was in ash level + Swift
Mamoswine-I don't have to explain this.
Cyndaquil - Flame Ice + Great partner to Mamo w/swift.

Pachirisu and Buneary have the least development, everyone else has plenty of important events, and even unimportant events that make them stand out. And even then, Buneary and Pachirisu aren't horribly developed.

I think you guys are just being too judgemental.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
The Problem is people are judging Dawn by Ash's standards and that's just to high and very unfair to her because she is not the main character. Ash's Pokemon are the main stars they will always outshine and get better development then Dawn or any other character in the show. And then there are people who judge her by May's Standard's. May's got Blaziken and Venusaur. Yup she's awesome, she's amazing, she's also off the show so they don't have to hold her back anymore. I think Dawn's team is great for a young rookie. She's getting six Pokemon, that's a first.

Charmbracelet

Looking In
Development =/= evolution.

Hmm. Technically speaking for Pokemon that do evolve, development does equal evolution. The more a Pokemon develops, the more of a chance it'll evolve.

Dawn's team is quite underdeveloped. IMO her team is getting the same treatment as Mistys. The pontetial for a great team is there, however the writers keep making redudant/foolish omissions (e.g. when Misty gave up her Starmie).

I think out of all the girls, May's team was the most solid and was given the most attention.

High Commander Solomon

This is MADNESS!
Well, I think we all hated Squirtle, and Skitty grated at times, but at least they all got their time in the spotlight and their quirks. Dawn frankly hasn't been so lucky, even with no evolutions (although the fact that none seem in the cards at all makes her look a little week).