• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

why are G/C/S considered the best gen?

PDL

disenchanted
Say, can anybody actually think of a reason aside from "brilliant" and "game features"?

One's just opinion while the other is nearly meaningless since most of those features are present in the other games that came after. Plus features themselves aren't solely responsible for a good gaming experience.

Anyway, let's make it clear that I don't hate the GSC set of games. But I felt I was let down by it, exactly the same way you're being supposedly let down by RSE and DP.

It's just that I find it completely stupid to stay inside your nostalga bubble and loath everything that isn't GSC.

I'm serious. That behavour reminds me of crotchity odd men who constantly complain about how things just aren't like the good old days. You'll only end up squandering time you could be enjoying now. Then it'll be too late.

Leo Aldwulf

Lionwolf X3
Say, can anybody actually think of a reason aside from "brilliant" and "game features"?

One's just opinion while the other is nearly meaningless since most of those features are present in the other games that came after. Plus features themselves aren't solely responsible for a good gaming experience.

And therefore, Ocarina of Time isn't all that its cracked up to be. >.>

Sabonea_Masukippa

What has Ocarina of Time got to do with anything? Its a great game. But it has flaws - water temple = way to hard, anyone? Oh, did I just insult something people love? No, I gave an opinion based on my own experiences. I love the game - it is my favourite Zelda game. I happen to think though, that Twilight Princess is a better game.

Same with GSC. I loved playing them, but I think DP are better games. I love GSC mainly because I was younger when I played them. I had a sense of awe about them - they were cool and exciting. Also, I didn't know all of the new pokemon, or where to catch them. I had to figure out some surprises for myself. BUT, I still knew that they were way too easy. I spent three weeks training my league pokemon to lv 55 because I had so much trouble with Blue's league. But, I tore through the GSC league like no tomorrow. I was so disappointed. I thought that they might have been harder than before - more of a challenge. They were not challenging at all. Neither were the Kanto gyms. Kanto may have made the game longer, but by no means did it make it more enjoyable, unless you enjoy learning about the lives of data three years later. I thought the radio was annoying. I don't care about the music since I play with sound off and anybody who loves the games for their music...well, there is a lot better music availible to you. Play with your favourite CD running in the background.
The story line wasn't exciting. My friends and I used to laugh that the biggest threat anybody faced was a slowpoke. Team Rocket is, was and always will be a joke. This is reinforced by the anime (True anime =/= games, but the influence can't be ignored). And who actually enjoyed chasing the legednary dogs around for hours trying to catch them? Honestly? I much prefered the puzzles you had to face to get the birds, or the Braille of RS.
Sudowoodo blocking a path? We've had snorlax, so thanks but no. Gimmick pokemon, no thanks we've already got eevee and ditto. Oh, ok...we'll take smeargle, delibird, and unown. Baby pokemon. Well, they're cute...but what's the point? Besides Wynaut, which baby pokemon has given the line something worthwile? We'd still love breeding without them.
Fact is Johto is so small and cramped that the whole region could fit inside Twinleaf Town. Pokemon from GSC are cute, but competitively uninteresting, mostly. The ones who are competitive (Blissey, TTar, Skarmory) are so strong that they eclipse everything else. Whether a generation of pokemon is good depends on whatyour into. Most people have favourites in all generations. New additions? ...And? A game without improvments in pointless. The innovations didn't change the core of the games, they added to it. Night was stupid because you could hardly see and some of us couldn't afford to buy the light. The only feature I miss from GSC was money storing, but even that was fairly mundane. Now we have pickup and it's free.

Fact is that GSC is no more perfect than anyother pokemon game. I chalenge anybody to replay them through right after playing DP and tell me that they're more fun, more difficult or whatever else you believe.

And Dragon, nobody has a problem with your beliefs, more power to you. However, I think when Expert and others challenge you, they are asking for reasons, examples, evidence, facts, and so on more than empassioned language and lists of what you consider the best parts of GSC. Listing a dozen things as 'the best' is not saying 'how' things are better.
Cheers.

Last edited:

Leo Aldwulf

Lionwolf X3
What has Ocarina of Time got to do with anything? Its a great game. But it has flaws - water temple = way to hard, anyone? Oh, did I just insult something people love? No, I gave an opinion based on my own experiences. I love the game - it is my favourite Zelda game. I happen to think though, that Twilight Princess is a better game.

Ocarina of Time is generally accepted to be one of the best Zelda games for its innovation in gameplay and features. If one thinks GSC's innovation is gameplay and features are meaningless as they appear in future game, therefore he also thinks that Ocarina of Time isn't a great game. >>

Sabonea_Masukippa

Ocarina of Time was fun. It had a good story. A huge exploration area. Many temples. But the things that made it fun were already part of the Gameboy versions. The additions made it interesting, added something to the game, but they didn't change what the game was. The innovations it produced are the reason its accepted as great by technical people. Gamers love it because it was fun; their first chance to play Zelda in 3D.

The additions to GSC aren't meaningless - they improved the games a lot. What DDl was saying (I think) is 'Why do people hate the later games so much if they have the same features (and more) from GSC?" So, my point. If Ocarina of Time had the same innovations, but was boring, or too hard, or too easy, or had lots of bugs, or anything else, it would be a bad game. Innovations do not make a game good. It requires enjoyment, playability and so on. If GSC didn't have these innovations (ie, if they were already present in the series from a previous game) would the games still be as beloved as they are?

abgar

Fufufufu
i just love the game, i dont notice the "new" features that much, but i get freaked when a battle ends and the game looks darker xD

i like the history and some other things the game has, in fact i think is way better than the 3rd gen, a graphic update is nothing when you delete most things that made the last games so special. ej: Day-Nigth, full pokedex and lots of pokemons, multi region game, last gen related history, extended history mode, etc. im happy that the 4th gen regained some of these little things.

btw- i find MM better than OoT

EXPERT DAN200

I do like blind fools such as yourself.
You like R/S/E more than D/P even though D/P had more G/S/C features than R/S/E?I find it hard to believe for someone to say one game is flat out better than another even though all games share basicly the same mechanics,story and character

meh im might be weird like that but i liked majoras mask more than oracania of time.

Last edited:

PDL

disenchanted
Ocarina of Time is generally accepted to be one of the best Zelda games for its innovation in gameplay and features. If one thinks GSC's innovation is gameplay and features are meaningless as they appear in future game, therefore he also thinks that Ocarina of Time isn't a great game. >>

I'm not sure if it was ment to be sarcasm but I actually agree with that statement. Ocarina of Time, while a good game, I feel is over-rated as well.

My favourite Zelda game happens to be Majora's Mask actually.

Last edited:

Biechae

maybe its nostalgia.

Kecleon King

Enterprise Captain
i wouldnt say best but it was the first "new gen" which would have made people excited and it inroduced cross-gen evos and babys

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!
My opionion EVERY GAME IS A GOOD AS EACHOTHER! Nothing bad nothing Exellent. Reasons.

R/B/Y/G: Kept it Intreseting because Silly Nintendo Forgot to remove the Glitchs!

G/C/S: My First Game... Most fond Memories with. And Lugia Was Totally Awsome!

R/S/E: Some of the coolest Legendaries Ever! + The Battle Frontier For Emerald

D/P:The Post game plot was a bit weak. But the pre game plot was interesting and long.

Every game is as good as eachother.

Profesco

gone gently
EDIT:nobody mention best story since nobody plays pokemon for the story.If i wanted to play a rpg with a good story i would pick zelda.

Not being able to cite storyline leaves us with only 1)innovative features and 2)new Pokemon introduced. The story includes the people, places, and gameplay itself. Those are, again, indispensible in any RPG, Pokemon as well as Zelda.

Innovative features will be kept, lost, or changed from game to game, as many people here have already argued about. Using them as a standard between Pokemon games therefore is pointless, unfortunately.

The new Pokemon introduced can only ever be based on opinion. They can't be used as a measurement of a Pokemon game's greatness at all.

My point is that the story is the only objective, continuous standard that can define the differences between games. Without it, we have only argument over different opinions.

azuvipsel

imo its because there were massive differences between R/B/Y and G/S/C, and that amount of difference wasn't in R/S/E or D/P (which did have a lot, though). It had nighttime and morning and stuff which was taken out of R/S/E. Its also nice that the elite four is the end, like in other games. It has a good post-elite four bit like other games. Partially why I like it though is because it was my first Pokémon game, but I have been slightly disappointed with the rest of the games that had been released.

Oh yeah imo A link to the Past is the best Zelda game =P OoT is very very close, though.

Brettt

satirist
It rekindled the flame of pokemon, the sequel pushed pokemon into a much more powerful place, thus helping establish where it is today.

LightningEspeon

Cyper King
I never got to play it but i saw a friend play it. It introduced loads of new features e.g. types, evolution methods etc. It would be really cool if they remade G/S/C like they did with R/B

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
It annoys me to no end when I tell people I like the Pokémon games or see me playing the Diamond version, then assume that I must watch the show religiously. They start talking about how bad the show is, or they ask me how the show is doing, and 99% of the time they feel genuinely surprised when I say that I play the games but don't watch the show, like as if I also brush my teeth but don't wash the toothpaste out of my mouth or that I dip French fries into ketchup then lick the ketchup off. They assume the show and the games have always been inseparable parts. It boggles the mind...until you realize that Nintendo made the grave mistake of releasing the show before the games in North America.

I'd have to say that Dragon HAS been lacking statements telling why he likes the 2nd generation best. I have no problems if someone says that. I have the fondest memories from that generation. However, asserting that things were the "best" tells me nothing. Why are they the best? What if to me, they're what I don't like? People seem to like Family Guy for the jokes. This is the reason why I DON'T like the show: It's so preoccupied with the humor that it pays no attention to the story at all. I cannot connect to the characters on Family Guy, and while I may laugh, I feel unfulfilled after the show ends, an empty dissatisfaction that makes me dislike the show.

That is a justification on why one would like or dislike something.