• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why are strong Pokes so rare?

A thought came to me-why are non-legendary pokemon with power enough to be called Ubers so rare? They and their pre-evolutions are very difficult to find. They probably aren't hunted-some of them have higher base stats than, say, Heatran-so they would be difficult to kill. The same thing with poachers or something. They should be able to hunt freely and defend their offspring/mates, so why aren't they and their pre-evolutions more common?

This is stuff like Salamence, Garchomp, Dragonite, and Tyranitar (actually, some consider Tyranitar to be OU) and their pre-evolutions if you don't know what I mean.

randomspot555

A thought came to me-why are non-legendary pokemon with power enough to be called Ubers so rare? They and their pre-evolutions are very difficult to find. They probably aren't hunted-some of them have higher base stats than, say, Heatran-so they would be difficult to kill. The same thing with poachers or something. They should be able to hunt freely and defend their offspring/mates, so why aren't they and their pre-evolutions more common?

This is stuff like Salamence, Garchomp, Dragonite, and Tyranitar (actually, some consider Tyranitar to be OU) and their pre-evolutions if you don't know what I mean.

Being "Legendary" has nothing to do with being uber, or even powerful. Several Legendary Pokemon are actually really bad to use in the standard competitive tier.

"Some" don't consider Tyranitar OU. He is OU.

TLDR: All a Legendary Pokemon is is a Pokemon deemed as such by Game Freak and the powers-that-be. There is no inherent difference between a Legendary Pokemon and a non-Legendary Pokemon.

Akwakwak

I'm hungry

Dragonite, Salamence, and Tyranitar are all OU. The reason they are all hard to find is because they are rare Pokemon species, it's like trying to find a panda in the wild.

Last edited:

thatjeremykid

.Memento.Mori.
This thread doesn't even make sense. They're not that hard to find, they just have specific locations where they can be caught. and yeah, like the person above me said, they're all OU, not just considered to be.

AceFlonne

Mediator
All Psuedo-Legends are actually OU,So this thread is a bit pointless

Ver-mont

Well, stronger Pokémon are "rare" in-game because they're more valuable, naturally. They're more powerful, so you need to work harder to get one than you'd have to in order to get a "common", weaker Pokémon. It sounds reasonable to me.

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
From a gameplay standpoint, the developers probably didn't want people to speed through the game with just one or two abnormally powerful Pokemon, so they stuck things like Dratini, Gible, etc. in areas that are either hard-to find or late in the game. I believe that fits into Pokemon's core philosophy - any Pokemon can become powerful if given the chance to grow and be cared for. Unfortunately, some Pokemon will never be quite as strong as others, but there are always those people who like them for other reasons besides performance in battle. (Yes, I am a Flareon fangirl and I usually root for the underdog.)

Regarding "real-life" situations, though, I'm not too sure - perhaps those species are naturally reclusive, or they just have a low birthrate so that there aren't too many individuals from that particular species around at any given time.

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
Well, strong doesn't mean rare, and rare doesn't mean strong. Take Ferrothorn. A very strong Pokemon defensively and is currently in the OU tier. It only shows up in one place, and at a 20% chance of appearing. But, I still wouldn't consider it rare. Mainly because 1/5 isn't a very small chance.

On the other hand, take Cryogonal. Only a 1% chance to find it nine months of the year, and only a 5% chance to find it during Winter, and only in one specific location. But, depending on what you consider to be strong, Cryogonal could be either strong or weak. It's got a great Spec. Defense stat, but a horrid Defense stat. Not to mention a weakness to three types that are primarily physical in offense: Fighting, Steel, and Rock.

Now, if you mean Legendary Pokemon, their stats only count for half their actual power. I mean, Articuno and Regigigas are both statistically strong Pokemon, but are sincerely hampered. Articuno has fairly good defensive stats and moves, but also has a 4x weakness to Rock, so Stealth Rock tears it a new pooper. Regigigas has a monstrous physical attack stat, but Slow Start cripples this guy to the point where it's rare to have him survive through all five turns of Slow Start. Sure, there are gimmicks to make these guys better, but often times those gimmicks are more effort than they're worth.

joep05

master of disaster
if a pokemon were too powerful and too easy to catch at the same time... than any tom dick and harry can be a super awesomely strong trainer and the game itself would be too easy, and i like that its hard because you feel really good when you accomplish it. and legendarys arent always necessarily powerful to use in battle

zozo

SLIMED!
I'll pass over the fact that the pre-evolutions of these really strong pokemon are actually a pain in the fleshy parts to train because they're so darn weak... (actually, i found that one of the easiest pokemon I ever had the pleasure of training was Sigilyph. It hatches, and it's fully evolved. Slap a life orb on it and give it the TM moves and watch the thing rip into all of its sparring partners. That guy made me re-think my opinions on non-evolving pokemon)

... and just mention that most powerful animals often take a lot of time to grow to full maturity. In the meantime, they're often fairly easy prey if the parent is off its guard. Sure, a Dragonite probably sits comfortably at the top of the food chain and laughs at poachers (stupid ones, anyway). Dratini, on the other hand, are fish food. Besides that, if there were a pile of Dragonites, Garchomps and Tyranitars roaming around as freely and as commonly as, say, Magikarp, they'd end up destroying the ecosystem and eventually starve themselves to death after they ran out of sufficient prey to keep their numbers up. Not a pretty picture.

Maybe they're hard to find because, well they are pseudo-legendaries? Except for garchomp. Finding a gible in my platinum was a peace of cake.

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
Think of it this way;lions are fairly strong, no? But the reason why they don't just eat absolutely everything in sight is because if they did they would have no food and go instinct. This is the reason why their are less predarators in the wild, wich is what I'm seeig you comparing the Pokemon to

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I'd figure it's because of size, but thinking about it, it's difficult enough to train them to a high enough level to evolve. So it's probably no less different in the wild, especially if there's lack of land.

sizida

CoconutIsTheAnswer
magikarp isn't rare~ a strong pokemon it evolves to and yet able to hatch fast is pro~

Blazeing Man

proffesional artist
i think they are rare becuase if thy were comon then everyone woud be very strong.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
To paraphrase Star Trek, "The Stronger, The Fewer."

Alternatively, to quote directly from The Incredibles, ...And when everyone's super, no one will be!

But yeah, it's mostly to keep players from sweeping through the game with ease.

LadyTriox

I have a boyfriend now; I am his princess❤️
If they were more commen then less people would wanna use weaker, more common pokemon and things would be kinda boring. XD WOW! EVERYONE ON WI-FI HAS A HYDREIGON PRETTY MUCH.

xD;