• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why are the rivals so nice now?

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
I think Nintendo would rather promote friendly competition and rivalries rather than fighting someone because you hate them...

Moral of the story. People vastly overestimate what Gary and Silver actually were; Gary was jerk for the fun of, not an enemy or trying to really ruin your life (HE EXPECTS YOU TO BEAT THE ELITE 4. That's really all that needs to be said.), and Silver was feeding himself empowering garbage that was conveniently reinforced by Team Rocket's incompetence in battle and rightly shattered when Lance hands his hide back to him.

Barry is really more in tune with the role, since he has aspirations of greatness, but doesn't feel threatened by your beating him. You are his yardstick, in much the same way you're Gary's; Gary just doesn't talk about it that way.

Poliwhirl'sMittens

Lorelei's Apprentice
Is it bad that I had more satisfaction beating Blue and Silver than Team Rocket? :/

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
I like the idea of them being good actually :p But isn't bad for them to be mean and stuff...They should do the idea of yer rival as yer older sister or brother or something, nya~

Pokemon was meant for the target audience which were children to pre-teens. Would you rather have them say "Wow you beat me! Never talk to me again."

At least they have personality.

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination
I prefer the new, more friendly rivals.

I admit, even being a jerk, Silver is my favorite of the rivals, but Blue was nothing but a joke. I'd take Cheren, Bianca or Hugh instead of him any day.

B€ntley

Roll the Ice Dice
The best rival is Barry, likeable and hateable at the same time, too bad he's underused when it comes to cameo appearances and such, he was also a pretty fun character.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
The rivals are nice again, because the only douches were Silver and Blue.

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
Because their attitude improved as the audience grew (slightly) older?

Dr. Leggs

Astral Cowboy
Because them being nasty and self-absorbed got old really quickly (i.e. after Blue). Sometimes they can swing a little towards the sappy side these days, but I still prefer the newer to the older ones.

Kaiserin

please wake up...
Because them being nasty and self-absorbed got old really quickly (i.e. after Blue). Sometimes they can swing a little towards the sappy side these days, but I still prefer the newer to the older ones.

And as it turns out, them not being abrasive, self-righteous douchebags makes them more endearing as characters. After all, the main games have gradually gotten a little more plot/character intensive as the gens have improved; it hasn't just been the gameplay and Pokemon selection, after all.

EmperorNova

Because it can reflect badly in real life if children think a rival automatically means someone who is a douche and you have to hate. The only reason some people want a douche rival is because apparently these days, being a douche is the "cool' thing. The excuse that they want someone to beat and humilate just proves the common insecurities some people have that they want a valid target for it.

Ferrin

Easily Lost
The best rival is Barry, likeable and hateable at the same time, too bad he's underused when it comes to cameo appearances and such, he was also a pretty fun character.

i agree. hes serious about training and says WHAT?! YOURE SAYING I LOST?! without being mean. a few of the rivals arent very serious about beating you and say wow youre good! i didn't like the mean rivals

It depends. 4th gen Barry is an example of a well written friendly rival, he's likeable and interesting but still obviously a rival. But yeah, Cheren, Bianca and especially the 3rd gen rival weren't fun at all. I do miss Gary-type rivals.

(But I never really thought Silver was that great. Yes he went through character development but his original jerk characterisation was rubbish.)

Is it a pokemon?
In the pics above..

Why is it they looked like unfinished?

Dotnetnuke support

I think it allows you to be with the characters more throughout the story and not popping up here and their for an occasional match. Your character has a past and connection with them. I do like how your rivals assist you in the plot now because of that. I think it's a valuable life lesson though too that as iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend. My biggest rival is my best friend, and through that I've found I learn more that way. I do miss the bloodshed type rivalries though but I think it's the audience that gets the vote.

slyfincleton

A melting cone...
i think the most well-made rival is Hugh. He is your friend and supports you, but he also has his own motives for training and at the same time is your rival and does his best to surpass you as a trainer.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I don't have as much of a problem with them being friendly rivals (although I do prefer douchebag rivals), but I do have a problem with some of the characters that aren't really serious about being rivals. Brendan/May, Hugh, and to some degree Wally are major offenders. I mean what's the point in making them rivals if they don't have similar goals, have no interest in battling, or what have you?