• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why are the rivals so nice now?

SimH8

The problem with Hugh is that you did way too many battles working with him. And by 8 badges, I think he only has 3 pokemon.

Flame Mistress

I think the thing that makes it rude is that he runs right into you right before he says it. He doesn't apologize for running into either

I don't find him to be rude at all, just funny. The impatient and immature bit is why I like him, really...

I don't like Hugh because he tends to be way too over-dramatic and explosive ("I'm about to unleash my rage!" Seriously, man?). And you don't get many battles with him, either, so he doesn't exactly seem like a "rival". He certainly doesn't act like one, either.

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
To be honest, I don't care for the rival all that much. :/

Green/Blue was a jerk
Silver was a bigger jerk
Brendan/May could never fully evolve their starter, and barely had a personality.
Barry was... a pest. :/
Hugh was... too dramatic. :/ I know you want your sister's Purrlion back, but srsly, calm down. Unleashing your rage isn't gonna get you anywhere.

I like Bianca, though. If only for the fact she has four of my favorite Unova Pokemon. (Samurott, Chandelure, Haxorus, and most importantly, Musharna!) <3 Cheren was a bore, but he's better in B2/W2.

Skydra

Hugh was... too dramatic. :/ I know you want your sister's Purrlion back, but srsly, calm down. Unleashing your rage isn't gonna get you anywhere.

Why would an event that caused your family, your smaller sister specifically, grief not be something to get angry over? And it seems it was getting him somewhere; he became stronger as the journey continued. I'm not quite done with the game so I don't know the outcome, but I can assume that the anger he channeled into hard work to become stronger paid off.

I think Hugh had some pretty good intentions, and was more interesting as a character.

Barry and Blue didn't develop or change, Silver had some decent character along with "evil", and May and Wally were wimps. Cheren was arrogant, Bianca was a good person but not very skilled. I'd say they all have some unique qualities, and making every rival the same sort of character as Blue seems extreme.

Last edited:
Why would an event that caused your family, your smaller sister specifically, grief not be something to get angry over? And it seems it was getting him somewhere; he became stronger as the journey continued. I'm not quite done with the game so I don't know the outcome, but I can assume that the anger he channeled into hard work to become stronger paid off.

I think Hugh had some pretty good intentions, and was more interesting as a character.

Barry and Blue didn't develop or change, Silver had some decent character along with "evil", and May and Wally were wimps. Cheren was arrogant, Bianca was a good person but not very skilled. I'd say they all have some unique qualities, and making every rival the same sort of character as Blue seems extreme.

I would agree. Hugh's character had a lot more substance than the others

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I don't think anyone here's debating that Hugh's not an interesting character, but as a rival? He sure doesn't act like one. He's more of a friend than a rival, he seems to care more about stopping Team Plasma than fighting you.

I don't think anyone here's debating that Hugh's not an interesting character, but as a rival? He sure doesn't act like one. He's more of a friend than a rival, he seems to care more about stopping Team Plasma than fighting you.

I think the rivalry part comes from the battles you have with him. But ya I get where you are coming from

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I think the rivalry part comes from the battles you have with him. But ya I get where you are coming from

He doesn't battle you enough, and he doesn't even get a full team together until post game, that's not really a good rivalry.

He doesn't battle you enough, and he doesn't even get a full team together until post game, that's not really a good rivalry.

I guess I can agree. I think they wanted to make the character more likable since you have enough loathing to do w/ Team Plasma

Manna

Rockin' the Suburbs
I wasn't all that surprised that there weren't all that many battles with Hugh.

A lot of people complained that there were too many battles with Cheren & Bianca, so I knew Game Freak would cut back.

I didn't think the battles with Hugh well-paced though. You had a couple in the beginning, and then 1 towards the middle, and then 1 right at the end. It was weird.

I wasn't all that surprised that there weren't all that many battles with Hugh.

A lot of people complained that there were too many battles with Cheren & Bianca, so I knew Game Freak would cut back.

I didn't think the battles with Hugh well-paced though. You had a couple in the beginning, and then 1 towards the middle, and then 1 right at the end. It was weird.

I couldn't stand Cheren & Bianca but I think they did over-compensate with the decrease of battles. Barry was a good medium between the 2 but even he got annoying @ times