• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why are they biased against Kalos?

The Mega Champion

I'm not sure where this belongs so I chose here. If it's the wrong area then a mod is free to move it to wherever they think this belongs.

So... a second game for Alola was confirmed today.

Yet there wasn't a second game for Kalos. No Pokemon Z.

Still no explanation given as to why either.

So my question is simple.

Why the hell are they biased against Kalos?

Don't say they aren't because second games for all regions except for Kalos proves otherwise.

Nockturne

Don't say they aren't because second games for all regions except for Kalos proves otherwise.

That's not actually proof of anything but you've clearly already made up you mind. And no one on this forum actually has the answers you're looking for. The only people who know why GameFreak do the things they do are GameFreak.

PokeLys

Since Red version'98
Gen5: main game + main game2. No remake
Gen6: main game + remake. No main game2
Gen7: main game + main game2. no remake
Gen8: main game + remake? No main game2?

Who knows, there might be a new pattern here. Or not since GameFreak seems to be breaking a lot of patterns lately. ;)

The Mega Champion

That's not actually proof of anything but you've clearly already made up you mind. And no one on this forum actually has the answers you're looking for. The only people who know why GameFreak do the things they do are GameFreak.

Yet we deserve an explanation but these assholes refuse to give us one.

There is just nothing I have seen, at all, that it could be except a bias.

PokeLys

Gen5: main game + main game2. No remake
Gen6: main game + remake. No main game2
Gen7: main game + main game2. no remake
Gen8: main game + remake? No main game2?

Who knows, there might be a new pattern here. Or not since GameFreak seems to be breaking a lot of patterns lately.

No. The pattern was EVERY region had a second game except Kalos.

Meaning it seems to be a bias.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I suspect they were in too much of a hurry with Gen 7 to make another Kalos game.

SinnohEevee

They are taking 3 years per generation instead of 4, and ORAS happened.

Wow, calm down a bit.

You have to bear in mind that the 20th anniversary was coming in strong and it would've been best to start a new generation than have a third version, remake or even break in that year. If they had consistently released XY, Z and ORAS while making sure to have SM released the next year, they would've had a consistent game release schedule for five years (B2W2, XY, Z, ORAS, SM), six even considering USUM is now a thing. I can't think of any Pokemon game release schedule that consistent with its release dates. If 2014 was reserved for Z and 2015 was reserved for ORAS, then there wouldn't have been nearly as much focus put onto SM and thus probably a game with much less quality in graphics and plot, and a terrible way of celebrating the 20th anniversary.

The Mega Champion

That's no excuse.

I could care less for anniversaries.

You don't just break a pattern.

You just don't.

Either make 2nd games for all regions or don't make 2nd games for regions at all.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
That's no excuse.

You just don't.

Either make 2nd games for all regions or don't make 2nd games for regions at all.

Here's a handful of patterns broken by Game Freak:

-# games per generation: gen 1 and 2 had 3 games, gen 3 suddenly had 5. Then gen 4 had 5 games and suddenly gen 5 only gets 4, which has continued since then.
-remakes vs 3rd game order: Yellow was directly after it's originals, Crystal was directly after GS, but Emerald came after FRLG, and then Platinum came directly after DP.
-one generation per console: generation 1 was on gameboy, gen 2 GBC (although GS were still compatible with , gen 3 on GBA, gen 4 on DS and suddenly gen 5 is still on DS
-3rd games: Gen 1-4 had a traditional 3rd game that was like a better/finished copy of the original. Gen 5 got sequels; completely different games that continued the story instead of changing it.
-naming games after colors: Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, ...Crystal?
-naming games after stones: Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, ...FireRed? LeafGreen? Ok, these are remakes; maybe they don't count. Diamond, ...Pearl? that's a stretch. Platinum? ok, nope.

Game Freak has been breaking patters all along, with more and more patterns broken recently. The only patterns they seem to be sticking to anymore are keeping an entire generation on the same console instead of releasing games for the newest console and releasing one remake per console. Yeah, it sucks that we didn't get a 3rd game or continuation of Kalos, but we can't expect that Game Freak will stick to any specific patterns. They've even said they like to keep us guessing.

That's no excuse.

You just don't.

It's less keeping to patterns (which Team Volt Grunt just proved almost never happens) and more giving the game makers a goddamn break.

Also, you could care less for anniversaries. Game Freak and most of the fandom seriously enjoys them.

Flan

loves birbs.
That's no excuse.

You just don't.

Dude, that's not really how life works in general--there are more than just 2 extremes to choose from. Not everything predicted will happen, and lots of things that happen aren't predicted at all. GameFreak doesn't owe anyone anything, and just because what they do isn't what you want doesn't make them assholes.
Plus GameFreak obviously does not care that much for their patterns anymore, since they have been consistently breaking patterns for the past 6 years since the release of B/W. Patterns may be important to you, but that doesn't mean they're important to many other people. Obviously, the reverse applies as well--anniversaries and events are important to others, but not necessarily to you. You may hold patterns as conclusive proof that a third gen 6 game was coming, and for now, that has been proven wrong. It's okay. No one is actively being hurt by the lack of another gen 6 game. There's other things to look forward to in the franchise.
It's okay to be upset and disappointed, dude, but you need to see that you're not going to get the answers that you're looking for.

Last edited:

The Mega Champion

I hope you all realize your not going to change my mind on this matter.

The simple fact of the matter is that they made a second game for each region/generation yet didn't do so for Kalos.

So either their lazy or biased against Kalos. It's one or the other as far as I'm concerned.

The simple fact of the matter is that they made a second game for each region/generation yet didn't do so for Kalos.

So either their lazy or biased against Kalos. It's one or the other as far as I'm concerned.

So basically you came looking for an answer that you had already chosen?

Well, that's this thread done.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
The fanbase definitely deserves an explanation for what happened with Kalos, it's such a peculiar and controversial situation. And while they have changed up how they handle updated versions, it is true that EVERY region has an updated game except Kalos. Doing something unique with an updated version is one thing, but outright skipping it is another. In the former, you're actually doing something constructive and taking an old convention and doing something better with it. The latter is destructive and deprives the fans of something they potentially want. Game Freak seriously needs to learn the difference because they've been doing this a lot and it's starting to piss fans off. It was bad enough with new features that they introduced one game and immediately phased out the next. Now they're doing this with entire games.

And no, the 20th anniversary is not a legitimate excuse, Game Freak has never really cared that much about anniversaries and SM doesn't really scream "anniversary game" either. Skipping straight to a new generation because of an anniversary is a terrible business decision when you have new hardware looming on the horizon that people want to buy, it would've been much smarter for them to make Z/XY2/whatever in 2016, put SM on the Switch in 2017, and do whatever the hell they want after that (maybe Sinnoh remakes, maybe USUM, whatever). If the 20th anniversary is their reason for doing this they're incredibly shortsighted and it's fair to question if they really know what they're doing anymore.

If anything, I could've lived without an updated version of SM instead of an updated version of XY. XY is just begging with an update with how shallow and incomplete the game feels and an upgrade would've been a lot more exciting. SM doesn't have as much to build on because the region is already pretty much full and it has a fair share of depth and features, the main thing missing are a couple of storyline elements. And neither would sell particularly well (by Pokemon standards at least), so it comes down to which one has more to offer creatively, and Kalos wins that battle by a country mile.

Last edited:

Flan

loves birbs.

Since you also seem to like posting the exact same content on PC, I'm again going to restate my points: lol bro we're not here to change your mind. No one is here to do that. I'm not sure that's the point of the thread you made--perhaps you were essentially asking if anyone had information. No one has information.

We are not trying to change your mind. Frankly, I'm not sure that most people care to. If you've already decided something, good--that's all fine and dandy. There's no point for this thread then unless you simply want to discuss or vent about the lack of Pokemon Z or whatever the third Kalos game may have been in some alternate universe.

Honestly, I don't care about Kalos nor do I want a third Kalos game, so it's okay with me that GameFreak is chugging forward with Sun and Moon.

The Mega Champion

I created this thread hoping someone could give me a legitimate explanation as to why a second Kalos game wasn't made.

KillerDraco

I created this thread hoping someone could give me a legitimate explanation as to why a second Kalos game wasn't made.

No one would know the actual reason except the people at Gamefreak themselves. Any answer that could be given here is merely speculation or guesswork.

Jutz

I think that it would be unfair to say gamefreak hates gen 6, but there's some obvious answers for why there were only 4 games in gen 6 rather than 5.

The first is that there was no "Z" or "X2Y2" is because gamefreak has been phasing the 3rd installment out, the last time we saw that was platinum, nearly 10 years ago, instead they're opting for squeals like BW2 or UMS, either they feel that having 4 games instead of 3 doesn't make the first 2 inferior ( why play pearl instead of plat?) and instead of making one newer game like pokemon "grey" they made BW2.

They probably want to make money without making previous games less marketable, but if you are gonna be sympathetic you could say that you can wright a much better story with 2 storylines over 2 games rather than remaking an incomplete ones. This relates to X and Y because it came at an awkward overlap; BW2 having "remakes" within the same gen was pretty experimental, so when gen 6 was expected to have a 5th game which was already redundant fans were left hanging.

Gen 6 still had a remake, so 4 games which is the minimum since they started remaking in Gen III, it probably wasn't remembered/ in need of a remake because it was a forgettable gen (IMO the worst one) take away megas and you have a giovanni/cyrus cross who was obviously evil from the start.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
The first is that there was no "Z" or "X2Y2" is because gamefreak has been phasing the 3rd installment out, the last time we saw that was platinum, nearly 10 years ago, instead they're opting for squeals like BW2 or UMS, either they feel that having 4 games instead of 3 doesn't make the first 2 inferior ( why play pearl instead of plat?) and instead of making one newer game like pokemon "grey" they made BW2.

It's presumptuous to call USUM a sequel, and in fact what little evidence we have points more to a third version. The game is being described as an "alternate story" and the protagonists seem to be the same as SM. So it's more likely to actually be closer to a third version, in which case they actually aren't phasing out third versions and XY's situation is a rare exception.

They probably want to make money without making previous games less marketable, but if you are gonna be sympathetic you could say that you can wright a much better story with 2 storylines over 2 games rather than remaking an incomplete ones. This relates to X and Y because it came at an awkward overlap; BW2 having "remakes" within the same gen was pretty experimental, so when gen 6 was expected to have a 5th game which was already redundant fans were left hanging.

BW2 are not remakes, remakes are something entirely different. A remake is a recreation of an older game on newer hardware, BW2 is a sequel on the same hardware as the original that continues the story instead of recreating it. So no, ORAS and BW2 are very different types of games and are not substitutes for each other. BW2 was a followup to BW that continued the story and built on what BW had done, ORAS brought back a GBA era game on a 3DS engine. Furthermore, there have been past generations that have had third versions AND remakes, in 3rd gen we got both FRLG AND Emerald and in 4th gen we got Platinum AND HGSS, so there's no reason why we couldn't have gotten both ORAS and Z/XY2/whatever.

The issue at hand here is that previous regions have all gotten some kind of followup in the same generation that fleshed out the region and storyline and built on the original experience. BW2 was different in execution to past third versions because it was a different story that followed from the original, but it was the same basic philosophy. XY, however, had no followup whatsoever. We have not returned to Kalos since XY, there has been no proper fleshing out or development of XY's region and story elements, the region was simply abandoned and its elements were shoehorned into completely different regions and not really properly resolved. And now with USUM, Game Freak has proven that XY is the exception and not the new normal, so the question is why was Kalos the only region that didn't receive this treatment?

Gen 6 still had a remake, so 4 games which is the minimum since they started remaking in Gen III, it probably wasn't remembered/ in need of a remake because it was a forgettable gen (IMO the worst one) take away megas and you have a giovanni/cyrus cross who was obviously evil from the start.

This is subjective and Game Freak wouldn't make decisions on this basis. If a generation is forgettable and they want to make another game, they'll come up with something to make it memorable.

Tropios

':o Me is stinky??'
The Anniversary year was a big one for Pokemon, we had Pokemon Go coming out and they put quite some effort into advertising and celebration. Most likely they wanted to cash in on all that momentum with a new gen, because fact is that follow-up games always sell significantly less than the first ones in their generation. And look, Sun & Moon are absolutely killing it when it comes to sales!

I mean we'll never know for sure, but that seems like the most logical explanation to me. They knew there would be a momentum to boost sales and could chose between releasing a follow-up game that would sell less or starting a new gen with more sales. I'd do the same thing.