• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why are Unown based on English characters & not Japanese?

Liz Azzimagica

Angelic Trainer
well like everyone said it's universal...on that note, think they'll make unown numbers in gen 6?

Ana_Julía

The Girl You Want!
Both because there are tons and tons of Japanese ideograms and because the Latin alphabet (not "English characters") is much, much more widespread.

Most of the languages use the Latin alphabet — even the Japanese use it sometimes. By the time of Gen II, GF already knew Pokémon was going to be sold worldwide, so they chose the "universal" option.
This, definitely.
Finally, someone has mentioned this. It's doesn't exist a "English Characters"...using such a term is so...Egh.

And everyone said it'all. But it would be a good addition if they created New Unowns, with Hiragana Katakana, for example. I would like it.

Rakansen

ラルフ
Woah, this is actually pretty interesting. I guess it's just an example of how not all Pokémon are based of Japanese mythology.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Katakana/Hiragana would be too much, there's like 56 for each IIRC.

I'm curious as to what else they could do with it, though. More punctuation? Numbers. IDK

xDWarrior

A. A lot of people in Japan are at least somewhat decent in English
B. There are a gazillion Japanese characters
C. The Roman alphabet is widely recognized around the world. Even Japanese speakers can use those 26 letters to compose words in their language.

dd1zzle

I always thought it was because they would have no place for the "eye". There's a lot of lines in japanese text so there would be no room for the eye.

AmusedMilk

Oh, hey, Big Zam!
I assume they decided having 28 different Unowns was better than having several thousand.

Well, there's your reason.

Plus, Japanese Unown would look weird. No room for the eye.