• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why are you a shipper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually dislike love/hate ships in general because of the reason I ship altogether. I just don't see the point in a relationship where the couple is always constantly bickering, even if they do love each other.

I don't think that's a bad thing: they can love each other despite their flaws, which can be a beautiful thing. It's one of the things I like about PokeShipping: Ash and Misty constantly argue, Misty has an anger problem and Ash is incredibly dense, but they love each other despite their flaws. Their love is stronger than their issues.

Last edited:

Flame Mistress

I don't think that's a bad thing: they can love each other despite their flaws, which can be a beautiful thing. It's one of the things I like about PokeShipping: Ash and Misty constantly argue, Misty has an anger problem and Ash is incredibly dense, but they love each other despite their flaws. Their love is stronger than their issues.

Yes, but it's not exactly a healthy relationship if they're constantly arguing, is it? Maybe real life is influencing me too much (I should really ship more crack ships outside of Pokémon =p), but I prefer fluffy, adorable ships to bickering ones.

(Just saying, I'm not just talking about PokéShipping, in case some people are getting the wrong idea.)

Yes, but it's not exactly a healthy relationship if they're constantly arguing, is it? Maybe real life is influencing me too much (I should really ship more crack ships outside of Pokémon =p), but I prefer fluffy, adorable ships to bickering ones.

(Just saying, I'm not just talking about PokéShipping, in case some people are getting the wrong idea.)

Well, judging from your first post in this thread, it seems like real life indeed influences you when it comes to this. And whether it's a healthy relationship or not: I think that depends on how the couple deals with the arguments. If they sometimes get so mad that they're about to break up and that happens all the time, it's not healthy. But if they can get over it easily, it's not a major problem, I suppose.

It's all a matter of personal preference. I like both some fluffy shippings (example: Brock x Lucy) and some argue-shippings (Ash x Misty).

Flame Mistress

Well, judging from your first post in this thread, it seems like real life indeed influences you when it comes to this. And whether it's a healthy relationship or not: I think that depends on how the couple deals with the arguments. If they sometimes get so mad that they're about to break up and that happens all the time, it's not healthy. But if they can get over it easily, it's not a major problem, I suppose.

Well, obviously some of the ships I ship aren't influenced by my real life experiences at all (for example the two yaoi ships I ship, for fairly obvious reasons), but they do influence me quite a lot, and not just in shipping, either. I do have fun with some of my crack and crossover ships, though - Tucker x Argenta and Older!Randall x Tsunami from Professor Layton and Inazuma Eleven respectively come into mind.

MrNere88

Because ship is cute and funny
Some shippings are related with my real life XD

I don't like famous shippings,examples : Contest and Mangaquest. My favourites are underrated,and I feel that I am the only who support those ships vv'

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
Maybe it has to do you me longing for a sort of relationship or maybe it's just something as much as living a fantasy or possibly just an odd sort of hobby of mine... I don't know, I don't have an honest or genuine answer that I can give because I myself don't truly know why I ship pairings like I do. In the whole scheme of things, it does seem silly to pair fictional characters together, but maybe it's just a secret way for everyone who ships to know that it's possible to meet that special someone. Saying that though, maybe some of you are already in relationships, hopefully a happy one.

McIntyre

Novice Breeder
The only reason I really ship anything anymore is because of all those fun little sub plots that can be included in a good story.
Pairings all add different things to a story, different plots that can be exploited and pushed forward depending on the characters involved. Shipping allows me to exploit those ideas in my head and in Fan Fiction. It's an exciting thing for me since the characters already have a basic personality that you can tweak as you age them up and a world that has a lot of possibilities to flesh out around the ship. And I blame high school English teachers who encouraged fan fiction as a means of expression for this viewpoint.

vespiqueen

It's just natural for me to be a shipper. It's like wanting your friends to get together or your favorite characters in a book or even yourself and someone you like.
I've always been kind of a romantic person, and just seeing cute couples together makes me happy. :)

chopsuey

/slithers in

I've been a shipper for quite some time now and the one reason why I ship is because it's fun. I like thinking of the possibilities why this and that ship could happen. Since most of my ships in this fandom are so bizarre, this 'thinking of possibilities' happens a lot. Not that it's a bad thing; it makes every single ship unique and gives me more reasons to like them.

Steelrush

Banned
Shipping grabs my interest due to fanfic writing and things of that sort. It also helps me dig further into the fandoms, and learn more about the characters or fill in the blanks. It also allows me to add more material to the OC's as well.

Victorian Rush

Weather Manipulator
I think we all can agree that we're shippers because it's fun, right? I mean, why else would we be shippers in the first place?

The main reason I'm a shipper is because I enjoy it. Simple as that.

ThatGuyWithCommonSense

What common sense?
The only reason I really ship anything anymore is because of all those fun little sub plots that can be included in a good story.
Pairings all add different things to a story, different plots that can be exploited and pushed forward depending on the characters involved. Shipping allows me to exploit those ideas in my head and in Fan Fiction. It's an exciting thing for me since the characters already have a basic personality that you can tweak as you age them up and a world that has a lot of possibilities to flesh out around the ship. And I blame high school English teachers who encouraged fan fiction as a means of expression for this viewpoint.

I think we all can agree that we're shippers because it's fun, right? I mean, why else would we be shippers in the first place?

The main reason I'm a shipper is because I enjoy it. Simple as that.

These are the two reasons why I ship. It's for fun and I can use it for writing.

Witchan

Shauntal, FTW!
The reason I'm a shipper is because I have extreme taste for underrated, interesting pairings (that most people aren't interested in) such as Cynthia/Leaf. I pair random characters together and want to share with other like the ones in fanfiction.net.

Meowth City

Staff member
Hmm, that's an interesting question. To be perfectly honest, I don't have a definitive answer. I would like to think I ship for fun. After all, it's nice to pair up characters and role play different scenarios in one's head. Umm, I guess if I force myself to answer based on psychological reason, then the motivation behind my shipping tendences could lie in my own feelings towards love. Basically, I do believe in love, but I just don't think it is for me. Not that I haven't found it, it's just that I don't need it. I'm at one with myself and yet, I am so fascinated by the idea of love and the many different forms of it. I think for that reason, I don't have any specific kind of shipping that I favour more than others. My ships range from the romanticized Disney kind to the dark and twisted kind.

Being a writer, I have the freedom to come up with whatever. In fact, I probably ship my imaginary characters even more than any other "real" pairing because they are, in a sense, very real to me (not in the schizo way, mind). After all, I created them and it makes sense for me to be invested in their lives, which includes all romantic entanglements. Fantasy can be a great way to live out desires, even if they are not your own. However, as much as I like fantasy, I have just as much love for realism. I don't like it when characters act completely off-script from the sake of pairing them up.

Last edited:

PokeMasterCait

It's alot of fun and just good memories and such. I have always shipped Misty and Ash so for me that's a fun memory I have. I make Pokemon AMV's on youtube now and I just love ship's , i will ship anything XD I just love shipping so much! and plus I love seeing certain characters with others and it's just fun wondering what if this happened or this etc.

TheCrobatKing

Poison within.
Well...now I'm doubting my own cause too :p

I guess the romance is too big to ignore or something along those lines...

Another reason I like shipping is probably that it inspires me to write fan fictions. But seriously, I have no idea why I like them so much.

Aura Of Twilight

Forever Clueless
I guess it's just because I'm a romantic type of person. Shippings offer so many possiblities in fanfiction and fanart. They make me go "Aww!" or laugh.

White_Roar~

Mother Monster
Hmm... That's an excellent question indeed! I'm a shipper because, I'm a lovebird, a very lovey-dovey, romantic person, who LOVES love XDD I mean, I just adore nearly all Shippings! I just love Shipping and all it's glory, when I first found out about shipping, I became very interested in it! I also like spreading love/shipping news as well! I also happen to own the SPPF Shipping Member x Member Thread as well! So I'm a shipper because I just love hearing about crushes, relationships, "liking" someone, and whenever I see a scene that relates to love in a movie or game, I can't take my eyes off it! X__X I also like to write love stories as well, I'm even working on a Fan Fic that contains lot of love-related parts!

DragonTrainerSilver

<-- Starving dragon
Why do I ship the pok'emon anime and manga? Guess because I like pok'emon and romance novel's not to mention I just plain enjoy shipping. I've always liked shipping especially pok'e-shipping and that's also another reason I started writing shipping fic's. I also have friend's who are big fan's of my work despite that it lack's some substance in my opinion. Really I ship because I love shipping.

OrcaCity

Expert Killer Whale
I am a shipper because my OTP is perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.