• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why are you personally still playing/using D/P/Pt?

So, Heart Gold and Soul Silver have been out for quite some time now, and Black and White are soon to come. Why are you personally still playing D/P/Pt? Do they have some advantage over HG/SS? Is there some kind of nostalgia? Is it just practicality? I'm just curious.

I still do all my Egg RNGs on Platinum because I've already done all the good HG/SS ones and I just have everything set up to RNG eggs easily in Plat, so why mess with it.

I also use my Pearl Cart for storage because it can link to MPR for backups and extra room.

How about the rest of you? Does anybody else still actively use/play the older 4th gen games? Why?

lethal Xsanity

I've just started playing Platinum for the first time.
So yeah, Theres still some people like me out there for sure ^.^
I'm not new to the Pokemon universe though, Just makin' that clear.

Wallaroo42

Knight who says Ni
I /just/ completed my sinnoh dex. That was worth pursuing for me. Now I'm pretty close to getting one of my pokemon to level 100 on diamond which is something I haven't done since the original g/s/c games.

I just kept restarting my 3rd gen games so I didn't really get anywere XD It's nice to have a little investment in a game I suppose...

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
I keep all my breedable and legendary Pokemon between my Diamond and Pearl games. If I want to breed a new Pokemon, I use Diamond and Pearl.

xxDanixx

Probably cuz my dex is WAY further along. I literally only have 25 left before my national dex is filled, so I'm gonna finish Diamond, SR for my Suicune, and fight Red.

PikachuPwnage

Pokemon Trainer
i dunno

i only play my platinum cuz well im not getting HG or SS and cuz well its just fun lv.ing pokemon up(rare candy i kno i cheat)its cool to see what move can different pokemon learn and stuff.

Dragard

I wasn't even there.
I know where your coming from TC, when Platinum was released, I stopped playing Diamond because it was an inferior version. Same thing happened when HeartGold/SoulSilver where released, I stopped playing Platinum because I thought of it as an inferior version.

I started to think about it, and Platinum is actually funner Pre-E4. HG/SS only gets fun after the E4, when your Pokemon start to level up faster. At the 7th badge, my Quilava was still just a Quilava... 7 Badges and not even fully evolved starter... On Platinum, however, your Pokemon tend to level up faster because there are higher level Pokemon to battle.

I noticed that if HG/SS came out before Platinum, just like FR/LG came out before Emerald, I would play Platinum more, but give HG/SS an almost equal amount of playing time (that's what I did with FR/LG/E). I guess to me, the latest is the best. More features.

Right now though, I'm actually playing both Platinum and HeartGold. I'm just challenging Fantina (sp?) and my team is around Lv.27. I'm just about to challenge Clair oh HeartGold and my Pokemon are barely level 36 average.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
I play Platinum cause the main game is awesome :D To be honest I satred to get a little bored after a while having just the Frontier, then HGSS came out. Soul Silver is my main game(where I keep my main group of Pokemon and such), but I still play Platinum for fun =D . I do that with every generation. Whenever the next game come, the previous one just becomes a game I play for fun, while I keep the up to date game as my "Base of Operations" XP

Diamond I still play because it was my first 4th Gen game and I dont want it to just sit there..Its not as fun as Platinum or SoulSilver, but its not bad either =]

GR81

One thing that I really liked about DPP that's missing in HG/SS is the Vs Seeker. If you want to level grind it makes it so much easier than just waiting for random in-game trainers to call you and fighting Graveller's in Victory Road. The Luxray guy in DPP gets me 14 attack EV's and $20000 a battle and it takes no longer than a minute to beat him and you could fight him as many times as you want.

I also liked the underground. I can get as many fossils, heart scales and evolutionary stones as I wanted. Can't really do that in HG/SS.

Don Fawful

Big Boss
EV training in my opinion is a lot easier in Platinum although I haven't been active on the EV training front lately I do remember having an easier time in Platinum compared to HG/SS.

Other then that breeding is a lot less difficult you know.

GR81

EV training in my opinion is a lot easier in Platinum although I haven't been active on the EV training front lately I do remember having an easier time in Platinum compared to HG/SS.

Other then that breeding is a lot less difficult you know.

I've actually found EV training to be easier in HG/SS though DPP is pretty easy to EV train in as well. Route 1 (the route right about Pallet Town I believe) has Pidgey, Rattata, Furret (Speed) and Sentret (Attack), at night route 29 has 85% Hoothoot (HP) and the Sprout Tower has 85% Gastly (Special Attack)

Don Fawful

Big Boss
The chateau in D/P/Pt has a 100% chance of ghastly for special attack. Magikarp for speed is obvious. The first route has bidoof (HP) and Starly (Speed)

Fishing with the super rod in lakes will result in seaking and gyarados (attack) and surfing the lake in the battle frontier island thingy results in golduck and psyduck (special attack) Special defense is hunting tentacool and cruel. And for defense you can pretty much enter any cave and hunt graveler or geodude.

Much easier in my humble opinion.

kiogrey

RS REMAKES
Because where I live, I can't seem to find the Platinum games, where most of the awesome Pokemon are. There is HeartGold however, but like someone said already, I don't have the money to waste it on that (DS games are quite expensive here).

Klinny

Skitty Chaser
I have Platinum and Heart Gold but I still play Platinum primarily. Whenever I try to play Heart Gold, (I haven't finished the story yet), I get distracted by something in Platinum that I want to do.. like breed a specific Pokemon, or find a certain item, or level up a certain Pokemon.

I haven't gotten far enough in Heart Gold for these things to be practical, since I haven't unlocked all the areas in the game and my Pokemon aren't high levels. In my mind I consider Platinum to be my main game, and Heart Gold to kind of be an extension of it.

The_Boss_Giygas

I. F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D.
I never got HeartGold or SilverSoul, I only have Platinum from the 4th gen games and I still play it cause I'm always making & training new kinds of teams with different pokemon to use against friends or in Pokemon Battle Rev. I also do battle frontier to get those rare items. I still need to buy all the furniture for my mansion thing, yes still much to do. I re-started the game like 3 times cause I like the story, but I'm ready for the 5th gen games.

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
I use Diamond for storage, Platinum for breeding and SS for my battling and competitive stuff

KeshanAmare

The Dark Shadow
Play it for fun and to finish the game.

PopPika

PopPika used SING
Still playing Platinum because I suck at Pokemon and I'm still trying to finish up as much of the Dex as I can, level my good Pokemon, etc. Then I'm gonna get HeartGold, get the Pokemon I can't get in Plat, level the good Pokemon, etc. Then I'm gonna trade 'em to White when it comes out - the main reason I'm trying to finish the Dex, so I can just scratch out most of the National Dex when I get to it in that game. I'll also keep playing it because, well, just because :D