• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why can Go catch legendary Pokemon but Ash can't?

ChampioN One

The chosen One!
For the same reason Ash has a Mythical Pokémon but Goh doesn't. And why does it matter anyway. Goh just wants his dex filled.

Guy100

Once Ash catches Lugia towards the end of journeys saga, I think alot of fans will fill satisfied. I have a feeling its destined to happen seeing how Lugia encountered and battled Ash in the first start of the series, and he will end up meeting up with Lugia again to conclude their battle, being the victor. Lugia, will take a liking to Ash after realizing how strong he is to tame it and will likely want Ash to be its trainer to learn from him.

I think the world tournament series will help Ash to become such a competent trainer that he will be able to defeat legendaries, at least some, with less difficulty, which will help him to further reach his goal of being a pokemon master, seeing how master trainers, I'm assuming, are at a caliber level to face nearly most pokemon.

With journeys, I realized that anything Goh catches, Ash will often be treated to something far more better, especially since he's named after the shows creator.

For example, Goh was given Flygon while Ash was given Dragonite. Goh was given Artozolt while Ash was given Dracovish. Goh is given Suicune, while Ash will be given Lugia, which is far more popular and a fan favorite. Of the Dog legendaries (Zacian and Zamantza) , Goh was given the shield, while Ash the sword (more popular). Goh is destined to be second fiddle to Ash. This is the writing of the show.

Once Ash catches Lugia towards the end of journeys saga, I think alot of fans will fill satisfied. I have a feeling its destined to happen seeing how Lugia encountered and battled Ash in the first start of the series, and he will end up meeting up with Lugia again to conclude their battle, being the victor. Lugia, will take a liking to Ash after realizing how strong he is to tame it and will likely want Ash to be its trainer to learn from him.

I think the world tournament series will help Ash to become such a competent trainer that he will be able to defeat legendaries, at least some, with less difficulty, which will help him to further reach his goal of being a pokemon master, seeing how master trainers, I'm assuming, are at a caliber level to face nearly most pokemon.

With journeys, I realized that anything Goh catches, Ash will often be treated to something far more better, especially since he's named after the shows creator.

For example, Goh was given Flygon while Ash was given Dragonite. Goh was given Artozolt while Ash was given Dracovish. Goh is given Suicune, while Ash will be given Lugia, which is far more popular and a fan favorite. Of the Dog legendaries (Zacian and Zamantza) , Goh was given the shield, while Ash the sword (more popular). Goh is destined to be second fiddle to Ash. This is the writing of the show.
You mean Ho-Oh. If Ash catches any legendary it’s gotta be Ho-Oh.

D

Deleted member 384931

Gou is a writers pet and I guess for Project Mew idk?

Look all the focus he gets compared to the episodes Satoshi gets that arent PWC ones. I know Satoshi isnt the most interesting character anymore after 20 years, but could you at least try to balance it.

TheLink

Eunie is as Eunie does.
On one hand I understand that Goh probably would’ve caught a legendary or two eventually given his goal is to “catch ‘em all”, but on the other I can see why some may view the guy as a creators pet, especially given the timing of Suicune’s capture - 53 episodes into a series is pushing it. If he would’ve caught a legendary say…towards the end of the series (whether that’s in the next year or longer) it’d be a lot easier to swallow.

Pokemonfan5

Probably because like almost all the Goh Pokemons at Ceries park those legendaries exist just to fill the Pokedex entry for Goh

In Ash case he catch Pokemons to get stronger and battle other trainers, imagine if he catch Nebby in SM than winning Alola league or PWC will be piece of cake for him, Ash got mythical or ultra beast but they're in lower level legendaries like Regice and Latios, Ash didn't even get Melmetal until his battle against Gladion who has far more trained Legendary Silvally or Naganadel until he face Kukui who is champion level trainer and even got Tapu Koko.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 384931

Probably because like almost all the Goh Pokemons at Ceries park those legendaries exist just to fill the Pokedex entry for Goh

In Ash case he catch Pokemons to get stronger and battle other trainers, imagine if he catch Nebby in SM than winning Alola league or PWC will be piece of cake for him, Ash got mythical of ultra beast but they're in lower level legendaries like Regice and Latios, Ash didn't even get Melmetal until his battle against Gladion who has far more trained Legendary Silvally or Naganadel until he face Kukui who is champion level trainer and even got Tapu Koko who is more powerful than any Pokemon Ash has defeated yet.
I can understand that, but it does feel not equal.

pardusco

"The oppression of Poké Balls."
It really doesn't matter since neither Goh nor Ash would actually use it. The same logic applies to the starters. These Pokemon are just plot devices that show up and do whatever is required of them to help sell some plushies.

Pokemonfan5

I don't think Ash will ever catch a box art Legendary level Pokemon unless his rival or the opponent in PWC also has the same kind of legendary.

This is one of the many disadvantage of being a protagonist of long running anime.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
The presence of so many “who cares” replies to this thread is funny to me because if you can say that about this thread, then you could just as easily say the same regarding pretty much any thread here that isn’t one of the “routine” threads, like the episode discussion threads (both in Anime spoilers and actual episode discussions).

Master Pikachu 11

For the same reason Ash has a Mythical Pokémon but Goh doesn't. And why does it matter anyway. Goh just wants his dex filled.
I expect Goh to catch a mythical like Shaymin for example. Who is to say that Ash can’t catch a legendary like Latias or Heatran in a future episode.
I don't think Ash will ever catch a box art Legendary level Pokemon unless his rival or the opponent in PWC also has the same kind of legendary.

This is one of the many disadvantage of being a protagonist of long running anime.
He doesn’t need to catch a box legendary, he can catch a lower tier legendary like the two I mentioned. It’s not like he hasn’t defeated trainers that had legendary Pokémon on their team without a mythical before like Brandon and Tobias.

I mean I very confident that the champions could beat any lower tier legendary regardless

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?

While he never officially caught it, he did raise and train Nebby and commanded it in battle when it evolved into Solgaleo. So I think that technically counts as having a box legendary.

Blood Red

【推しの子】
I don't understand this rule of the series. Ash who has tons of strong bonds with tons of legendary Pokemon is not allowed to catch one?
Because back when Ash was making friends with Legendary Pokémon, they were on a completely different level compared to what they are now. They were mystical, nearly godly figures. A trainer who had them wasn't just 'special'; they were part of an elite class that very few were a part of. They were also usually much older than Ash and his peers, and were seen as monsters with unparalleled strength.

Notice how much of the above could also apply to trainers who had the title of 'Elite Four' or 'Champion'. What's happened is that both Elite-level trainers and Legendary Pokémon have lost their mystique in the anime. The Suicune caught by Goh didn't really 'feel' like a Legendary Pokémon either; it wasn't quite what I would've expected from a Pokémon of myth and legend.

In short, Ash not catching Legendaries is a relic of a bygone era; one where Legendaries were special. As things are now, we've seen people in the Project Mew team who have Legendaries under their command. We've seen Gladion command a Silvally against a Melmetal. Non-boxart Legendaries, and the Trainers who own them, are no longer that special.

There's a strong possibility that if Ash gets to bond with another Legendary or Mythical, the writers will consider giving it to him. I'd prefer if he caught something he already had a bond with (like Latias), but that ship has probably sailed already.

btw, if I were to pick one Legendary for Ash to catch, it would be Ho-Oh at the end of his journey.