• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why can Go catch legendary Pokemon but Ash can't?

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
The only Legendary Pokemon I would be genuinely hyped to see Ash using are Latias and Mewtwo (no way in hell that's happening tho)

I don't give a Rattata's arse if he catches anything else.

Honestly because Goh is Creator's pet and Goh catching Suicune was controversial enough.

also, Ash Ketchum? Because He is not allowed to capture them.

Edit: Well actually, Because They fear that Ash Ketchum will be powerful this time.

Last edited:

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
I'd prefer if he caught something he already had a bond with (like Latias), but that ship has probably sailed already.
Pun intended?

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros

DigitalTrainer

Worried about everything
Honestly because Goh is Creator's pet and Goh catching Suicune was controversial enough.

Edit: Well actually, Because They fear that Ash Ketchum will be powerful this time.
But they don’t fear or even care that Goh would become too powerful

Leonhart

Imagineer
I don't quite understand the logic of why some viewers are assuming that Satoshi not capturing Legendary Pokemon in this series somehow stems from Gou capturing Suicune. If anything, Satoshi hasn't captured any in this series because he typically doesn't capture them in general. Not to mention that his team is already full, and despite what some viewers thought before, it doesn't look like his team will have more than six Pokemon at the moment.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters

If Ash actually beats Cynthia, that puts him above Legendary status lol
Cynthia could destroy most Legendary Pokemon. As long as they don't do something insane like give Ash Mewtwo(No just no. Mew and Mewtwo are supposed to be one of if not the strongest Pokemon! Give Ash Latias/Latios) I can see Ash still struggling to beat her. Ash already proved that he can beat Legendary Pokemon enough times that he well deserves one of his own, and also showed that it won't make him an unstoppable monster like those cringe "Aura/Evil/Bad ass Ash" fics believe :rolleyes:

I hope the saga ends with Mewtwo wiping the floor with Ash to prove he still has a ways to go to be a Pokemon Master.

LucasMV

Goh is able to catch legendaries because he doesn't force them to fight for his amusement, he's mature and gentle

Ash doesn't catch legendaries because he'd just hurt them for a dream they can never give him

All this is to say, if Ash renounces the evil act of battling after defeating Leon, he can catch whatever legendary his heart desires
N, I still resent you for stopping Charizard and Dragonite's battle back then!

Seriously though, I prefer Ash defeating legendaries with his Pokemon rather than catching them. And Go hasn't really used Suicune, like ever. So, I don't see the big deal.

If Ash actually beats Cynthia, that puts him above Legendary status lol
Cynthia could destroy most Legendary Pokemon. As long as they don't do something insane like give Ash Mewtwo(No just no. Mew and Mewtwo are supposed to be one of if not the strongest Pokemon! Give Ash Latias/Latios) I can see Ash still struggling to beat her. Ash already proved that he can beat Legendary Pokemon enough times that he well deserves one of his own, and also showed that it won't make him an unstoppable monster like those cringe "Aura/Evil/Bad ass Ash" fics believe :rolleyes:

I hope the saga ends with Mewtwo wiping the floor with Ash to prove he still has a ways to go to be a Pokemon Master.
Yeah... but wait, there's a Pokémon Master? I thought it was nonexistent. I Wonder why Writers has more plans to plot armor up Ash Ketchum, Very strong indeed. :rolleyes:

Blood Red

【推しの子】
As long as they don't do something insane like give Ash Mewtwo(No just no. Mew and Mewtwo are supposed to be one of if not the strongest Pokemon! Give Ash Latias/Latios)
And yet, Goh's goal is to catch Mew, and there's an incredibly high chance that he'll come super close this saga (especially seeing how he technically owns a Suicune and Eternatus). 'Super strong' they may or may not be, they can't escape Goh's Master Balls.

Also, if there was any Legendary I'd wanna see Ash get destroyed by, it would be Ho-Oh. After all, if Ash becomes the strongest Pokémon Trainer in the world by the end of the saga, the best way to end his journey would be for him to chase after it.

ImBeVillain

No more six members
Who cares, to me, the only thing that matters to me is that I have fun with this Pokemon series.
For one I want is Ash to catch Lugia, that's enough for me.

ImBeVillain

No more six members
Goh is able to catch legendaries because he doesn't force them to fight for his amusement, he's mature and gentle

Ash doesn't catch legendaries because he'd just hurt them for a dream they can never give him

All this is to say, if Ash renounces the evil act of battling after defeating Leon, he can catch whatever legendary his heart desires
cough Goh's Cinderace fought with Eternatus cough

Doesn't that mean he's evil too?

DatsRight

N, I still resent you for stopping Charizard and Dragonite's battle back then!

Seriously though, I prefer Ash defeating legendaries with his Pokemon rather than catching them. And Go hasn't really used Suicune, like ever. So, I don't see the big deal.
Pretty much. Suicune pretty much existed that one time to say he got it. We didn't really get more from Suicune after that.

I tend to prefer Pokemon getting caught by main characters to give them limelight and expand on their charm, not just for the sake of a commodity or goal quota. Say what you will about how they used the SM mythicals but they were at least proper characters.

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
Pretty much. Suicune pretty much existed that one time to say he got it. We didn't really get more from Suicune after that.

I tend to prefer Pokemon getting caught by main characters to give them limelight and expand on their charm, not just for the sake of a commodity or goal quota. Say what you will about how they used the SM mythicals but they were at least proper characters.
Well that there is the problem with having a character like Go as a main character; the vast majority of Pokémon are just reduced to being a goal quota rather than characters. Even when he does actually use any of them outside of the starters, most of them are still just completely wooden and barren of personality. It’s a reason why creating a character with such a goal is horribly impractical in the anime.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Goh is undeniably the biggest Mary Sue in the series.

The problem with a character like Goh is that he is literally becoming a monster of the creator's own design. Nobody can stop him. It's to the point where they can throw anything they can think of at him and he'll just steamroll over it. Basically, we're in a situation where the writers have effectively lost control of the story. Because if they're even going to PRETEND there's any realism to anything they do from here on out to challenge Goh, it won't work, because he'll stop it.

The major concern here is that I've seen this happen in D&D campaigns, and it never ends well, for either the players or the DM. In D&D when PCs become too powerful, the DM almost universally has no choice but to wipe out the party. And it's usually unfair when it happens, like using the Apocalypse Stone adventure, which is basically the Kobayashi Maru of D&D (ie. the no-win scenario). It's an adventure where the PCs are guaranteed to die at the end, because the book basically says, 'Well too bad. You beat the big bad, but the world ends and everyone dies anyway.'.

My concern is that the creator and writers are going to have to come up with some way to remove Goh from the anime, and do it in a way where the other characters will never mention him again. They probably won't kill him off, but people are going to raise the BS flag, no matter how they do it.

What I think is going to happen - and people won't like it - is Goh is going to finish this 'Mew Mission' that he's on (all the dumb little tasks they want him to do for whatever reason), and the people who arranged that are going to leave with him to go find Mew, and that's where we'll never see him again. It'll be Kurt all over again, for those of you that remember the GS Ball.

To answer the topic question, the bottom line is the reason that Goh can catch Legendaries and not Ash, is because Goh is still a temporary character. Regardless of what websites and even the show call him, at some point he is going to leave. Ash on the other hand, won't be leaving. So giving him a Legendary would cause long term problems with his character, whereas with Goh, any issues that we're seeing, catastrophic though they are, are still only temporary and will largely end when he leaves.

Now if they wanted to have some real guts, they could do it another way, and it might even salvage Goh's character. Have the 'Mew Mission' be part of a dupe. Have the people who arranged all this turn out to be villains, and have Mew be a lynchpin for the balance of the world, and catching it somehow throws everything out of whack. Then we see apocalyptic consequences of Goh's actions as things are falling apart everywhere, creating another sort of 'Darkest Day' and forcing the protagonists to go on a journey to fix it by eventually returning Mew to where it belongs. Then afterward, maybe Goh has a moment of self-reflection. Maybe he realizes that catching every Pokémon isn't the right way to go about things. Maybe learning to understand and respect them is more important. Perhaps, his whole countenance changes as a result and he dedicates himself to learning more about the world, instead of just wanting to throw balls at everything that moves.

Last edited:

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
To answer the topic question, the bottom line is the reason that Goh can catch Legendaries and not Ash, is because Goh is still a temporary character. Regardless of what websites and even the show call him, at some point he is going to leave. Ash on the other hand, won't be leaving. So giving him a Legendary would cause long term problems with his character, whereas with Goh, any issues that we're seeing, catastrophic though they are, are still only temporary and will largely end when he leaves.
This doesn't hold up because the show has already given Ash one-of-a-kind transformations (Ash-Greninja/Bond Phenomenon), Ultra Beasts (Poipole), a box legendary to raise (Nebby that evolved into Solgaleo), and a mythical (Meltan/Melmetal). And the show has continued on...

Now if they wanted to have some real guts, they could do it another way, and it might even salvage Goh's character. Have the 'Mew Mission' be part of a dupe. Have the people who arranged all this turn out to be villains, and have Mew be a lynchpin for the balance of the world, and catching it somehow throws everything out of whack. Then we see apocalyptic consequences of Goh's actions as things are falling apart everywhere, creating another sort of 'Darkest Day' and forcing the protagonists to go on a journey to fix it by eventually returning Mew to where it belongs. Then afterward, maybe Goh has a moment of self-reflection. Maybe he realizes that catching every Pokémon isn't the right way to go about things. Maybe learning to understand and respect them is more important. Perhaps, his whole countenance changes as a result and he dedicates himself to learning more about the world, instead of just wanting to throw balls at everything that moves.
So...basically a rehash of Movie 8?

DatsRight

Well that there is the problem with having a character like Go as a main character; the vast majority of Pokémon are just reduced to being a goal quota rather than characters. Even when he does actually use any of them outside of the starters, most of them are still just completely wooden and barren of personality. It’s a reason why creating a character with such a goal is horribly impractical in the anime.
It's a weirdly backwards transition from how SM worked, where Pokemon are barely developed commodities now. I think they forgot the reason elusive Pokemon 'got under the radar', even if their development wasn't great, is because it was at least still character driven and not just another scout point for the protagonist in question. Imagine if SM had tried to brag about Mallow 'catching' Shaymin or Ash 'evolving' Naganadel. Fans front and center would be calling bullcrap.

I think it's worsened by the fact that they're suddenly treating the actual physical capturing part as a proper quota too. Rarely in the anime was capturing ever hard to begin with, the weight of it often came from the trainer bothering to bond with the Pokemon first. Goh I'd argue isn't really worse than previous protagonists in this regard, but the problem is that his actual goal is revolved around that and they have failed to develop the challenge much at all. Dawn and Sophocles got 'freebie' Pokemon but it wasn't the actual highlight of their trainer development like it is meant to be for Goh.

I think more people might have let an easy legendary capture slide if there had at least been some legit character development between both the trainer and the Pokemon, or at the very least some fun ongoing interactions to pepper the show, but without much any depth compared to what was even there in previous shows, it just feels empty.

Last edited: