• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why can't Cilan try working on his Connoisseur occupation any?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demonsead

Hoenn Challenger
SPOILERS

We haven't had an episode dedicated to Cilan's Connoisseur status since A Connoisseur's Revenge! which only revealed the ranking system, not how one goes up in rank. We know Cilan is A-Class while Burgundy is C-Class, but Burgundy only wants to be a better Connoisseur than Cilan,which doesn't necessitate being above him in rank, while Cilan isn't actively trying to become an S-Class Connoisseur, perfectly content with just traveling with Ash and Iris, Connoisseur-ing it up as he goes. Or did the writers just give a Main Character a job he doesn't have to be the best in?, since we have no indication that there is a best Connoisseur in the world, just some S-Class ones?

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
The way they made Cilan's goal is alot like Iris's. You really can't tell what he's actually doing to make his goal come true. But I think it's one of the many gags that the writers are doing for him.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
I don't know, honestly I find Dento nerding out over trains/fishing/sleuthing etc. way more funnier than Sommeliering. Though, I think we get little tidbits of Dento doing his job throughout the show. (like with Iris and Excadrill). Pretty much a Sommelier is to councel others and help their bond. I like how Dento's been shown to help the people closer to him (like his brother) instead of COTDs. That would be a bit boring. I mean, I'd much rather being shown the things Dento himself likes, than be shown Dento helping out some COTD who he really doesn't cares as much about (if you get want I'm saying. His friends and his brother would mean more to him than some random person).

Haunter ゴースト

Well obviously 'A' rank is a high rank anyway, 'S' rank must be pretty difficult to get too.

Besides 'A Connesieurs Revenge', we always get little mentions of 'Train Connesieur' 'Detective Connessieur' times etc, and we have had that little battle between Burgundy and Cilan in the Don Battle arc grading the battle/reviewing it.

I think really Cilan's Connessesiur job relys on Burgundy trying to compete against him really, there isn't much else to it.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Like I said 300 times, his goal is not something as palpable, by traveling he is improving his sommelier skills by observing Satoshi, Iris, other trainers, wild and even his own pokemon actions and how those trainers and himself deal with them.

On another note I do want an episode where that is explicit and him helping his brother seems to be good for that, so next week we are probably getting some dvelopment.

Haunter ゴースト

Like I said 300 times, his goal is not something as palpable, by traveling he is improving his sommelier skills by observing Satoshi, Iris, other trainers, wild and even his own pokemon actions and how those trainers and himself deal with them.

On another note I do want an episode where that is explicit and him helping his brother seems to be good for that, so next week we are probably getting some dvelopment.

This pretty much sums it all up.

A few development episodes specifically on his Connessueir role would be good every now and then.

Cuddy

Cyndaquil Master
He'll start getting serious once N comes along and starts out-Sommeliering him, I predict.

The problem is we have not see N yet. All we know is that he is a leader of Team Galactic. He could be a Conniusseur, but what can he do with wild Pokemon?

gohan5

Irisboy

True, I know that he's explicitly stated that he thinks traveling with Ash is beneficial and that he could learn from him. That being said, it is the most passive of the three goals of the group and not easy to see how much Cilan has improved, at least so far. The ___ time things are separate imo from his connoisseur dream and don't do anything to advance his skills.

I do want Cilan to have some kind of challenge or something to test how far he's come as a Connoisseur but I guess stuff like the Chili episode is fine too. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to wait until more Connoisseurs show up because I know he and Burgundy can't be the only ones :p

An00bis

Wicked Witch
After a while I just considered the Connisseur-thing to be a mix between a personality quirk and a running joke. As a running joke Cilian is an " Connisseur " (as another word for expert) in everything that he likes. He's an expert battler, detective, fisher, cook, conductor, ect. His ability to " detect " the bond between a Pokemon and their Trainer is just another thing that he's good at.

Your milage will vary in regards to whether Cilian is really an expert or not. While he's been shown to be clearly flawed he has enough bravo to live up to his own hype.

I'd be fine with this being the extent of what he is as long as he's humbled from time to time like when he was beaten by Luke in the Don Battle arch. I also liked the Subway episode because Ash and Iris were noticeably embarrassed by his antics.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
True, I know that he's explicitly stated that he thinks traveling with Ash is beneficial and that he could learn from him. That being said, it is the most passive of the three goals of the group and not easy to see how much Cilan has improved, at least so far. The ___ time things are separate imo from his connoisseur dream and don't do anything to advance his skills.

I do want Cilan to have some kind of challenge or something to test how far he's come as a Connoisseur but I guess stuff like the Chili episode is fine too. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to wait until more Connoisseurs show up because I know he and Burgundy can't be the only ones :p

For it being so "passive" he's certainly the one that sticks out the most :p. It is hard to see how he improves though, because he really can't (unless you pay attention to what he says. His vocab has gotten a lot better imo). But he has updated his sparkle a few times. Instead of it being the flashy pink sparkles he now uses an outerspace background. Always makes me think of his "Science Sommelier" :3 I don't think his hobbies should be tossed aside like that, I think they are what cues his passion.

Instead of just battling I'd prefer if there was a Pokemon that would be difficult for him to taste Purrloin

gohan5

Irisboy
For it being so "passive" he's certainly the one that sticks out the most :p. It is hard to see how he improves though, because he really can't (unless you pay attention to what he says. His vocab has gotten a lot better imo). But he has updated his sparkle a few times. Instead of it being the flashy pink sparkles he now uses an outerspace background. Always makes me think of his "Science Sommelier" :3 I don't think his hobbies should be tossed aside like that, I think they are what cues his passion.

Instead of just battling I'd prefer if there was a Pokemon that would be difficult for him to taste Purrloin

That's a different matter all together and can't really be said as part of his goal. The rest about vocab and what not I'm not gonna respond to because it's ridiculous. I'm not tossing his hobbies aside, I said they don't necessarily have much to do with his goal and advancing his skills.

Battling or taking care of a sick Pokemon whatever as long as he gets tested in any way.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
That's a different matter all together and can't really be said as part of his goal. The rest about vocab and what not I'm not gonna respond to because it's ridiculous. I'm not tossing his hobbies aside, I said they don't necessarily have much to do with his goal and advancing his skills.

Battling or taking care of a sick Pokemon whatever as long as he gets tested in any way.

He still calls himself a "Sommelier" though. They might help stay focused a bit (like in the Don Tourney and he went under a "Movie Sommelier") The vocab was a joke, but he has gotten better :p give the writers some credit there, that Sommelier speak must be hard to come up with so if they can improve with it, Dento improves. Dento nerding out over trains is the best thing since his Fishing Sommelier. Gosh he needs his own spin-off

What? He can't take care of something sick D= He only knows "starve a cold and feed a fever"

gohan5

Irisboy
He still calls himself a "Sommelier" though. They might help stay focused a bit (like in the Don Tourney and he went under a "Movie Sommelier") The vocab was a joke, but he has gotten better :p give the writers some credit there, that Sommelier speak must be hard to come up with so if they can improve with it, Dento improves. Dento nerding out over trains is the best thing since his Fishing Sommelier. Gosh he needs his own spin-off

What? He can't take care of something sick D= He only knows "starve a cold and feed a fever"

You know what? I can't even respond to any of that. None of that has shown Dento has improved at all, it's just stuff for lulz. I know the vocab was a joke but all that other stuff doesn't help him in his goal, he just slaps the name on the end. Ash could call himself a battle sommelier and it'd be the same.

Anyway, yeah I want Dento to show some improvement in his goal in some way. Maybe he has an idol or something that he looks up to?

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
We haven't had an episode dedicated to Cilan's Connoisseur status since A Connoisseur's Revenge! which only revealed the ranking system, not how one goes up in rank.

No, it mentioned that. You have to register for a test, and pass it. This is also roughly how sommelier ranks work in the real world.

gohan5

Irisboy
He looked up to Emmet, and Ingo. Just not Robert, he looked down upon him.

Not what I meant at all, but you knew that.

I want to see some more sommeliers in the series that we can learn more about this particular profession from. For Unova being the region of origin of sommeliers they sure are rare.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
Not what I meant at all, but you knew that.

I want to see some more sommeliers in the series that we can learn more about this particular profession from. For Unova being the region of origin of sommeliers they sure are rare.

Then why wasn't he a PHOTO SOMMELIER? He looked down upon him!!!!

I do too, but I want to know what inspired him to be a Sommelier.

gohan5

Irisboy
No, it mentioned that. You have to register for a test, and pass it. This is also roughly how sommelier ranks work in the real world.

But was that a ranking test? I thought that was just a test to get into the Sommelier school. It could be both of course, since we know so little about the sommelier stuff.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
But was that a ranking test? I thought that was just a test to get into the Sommelier school. It could be both of course, since we know so little about the sommelier stuff.

But the test was to get out of it? o_O (I mean I don't think it'd be like ACTs or SATs lol. I mean I don't think you'd have to be a pro to get into the school, the school is probably for n00bs and I imagine Sommelier school being Ouran High like Pokemon Ranger School) Myabe when a Sommelier takes the test when you graduate would place you at a certain rank from "C-S" so maybe Dento might have to take another test before he can rank up.

Status
Not open for further replies.