1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have received legal notice about the sharing of certain images for Pokémon Sword & Shield. Due to this, we have a new rule. If you post said images, you will be removed from the forums until 15:00 UTC on November 14th 2019. We have also killed the leak discussion threads for the time being. Thank you for your patience during this. If you have any queries, use the contact form
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Why Can't People Get It Right? Annoying Things and Pokémon

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by TheFightingPikachu, Nov 14, 2010.

1. TheFightingPikachu

TheFightingPikachu Smashing!

Why Can't People Get It Right? Annoying Things and Pokémon

So when I got home one day, one of my brothers passes on a message from a friend: "I was at this yard sale and there's someone selling some big boxes of Pokémon cards for twenty-five dollars! You should go check it out." My brother then told me the location of the yard sale, showing me a piece of paper with directions. It was quite a distance away.

Because the yard sale wasn't, like, right down the street, I had to carefully consider whether I wanted to go look. My mind was full of questions: "Do I even know if it will still be there by the time I get there?" "Will it be worth twenty-five dollars?" "Will it happen to contain only cards that I already have?"

But, since my brothers decided to help me buy it (as my birthday present), I took the directions, and got in the car with ShinySandshrew as my navigator. After almost missing the last turn and driving up and down the street looking for it, we found the yard sale. This is what we saw:

[IMG139]http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad114/ShinySandshrew/B1/POKE-MAN.jpg[/IMG139]

Yep. The boxes said "PokeMAN cards." If I hadn't heard that one a million times before, perhaps it would be funny. (Okay. Maybe it still is...a little.) Anyway, we examined the contents of each box and found they had roughly the same things:

• A Japanese Snorlax CD Promo card (in a plastic case that indicated it was mint condition)
    • Two boxes of unopened packs of Pokémon Action Flipz (24 packs per box)
    • Three boxes of unopened packs of Pokémon Stickers (30 packs per box)
    • Three plastic bags each with 80 Topps Pokemon: The First Movie trading cards
    • One factory sealed box of unopened packs of Topps First Movie trading cards
    • One Pokémon TCG starter deck from way back in the Jungle expansion.

Well, I was a bit disappointed at the lack of cards for the trading card game. I was thinking it would all be Pokémon Trading card game cards! I should have been more wary of non-game cards, because the friend that told me about the yard sale is not a Pokémon fan. Howwas he to know the difference? But despite that, I decided to buy one of the big boxes anyway, having already suspected that the old starter deck might be worth something as a collector's item.

Upon getting the box home, I painstakingly looked through and counted all the Topps trading cards in the plastic bags. Partway through, I was beginning to think I might have a complete set! Unfortunately, I found out that I had the whole set...minus two cards. Phooey.

Anyway, I don't count my purchase a loss, because I believe the Snorlax card may be worth something, and I do like the Action Flipz. (Anyone else ever heard of those?) I still plan to sell some of the things in the box. However, this story is largely about annoying things.

How many of you have had similar experiences? Do you get annoyed by almost complete sets of things like Pokémon cards? Do you have friends who always mispronounce things in Pokémon?

Please discuss. It doesn't have to have anything to do with Pokemon cards. (For example, I've had annoying experiences with people who claim to have seen nonexistent episodes of the anime.)

2. Forretress Fan

Forretress Fan Let's Go

Try finding someone that can pronounce or spell Forretress correctly. It drives me insane. I also find it annoying when someone tries to have an intelligent conversation with you about Pokemon and barely know the basic game mechanics of Pokemon such as EVs, IVs, Difference between Special/Physical attacks.

3. streetlightdsb

streetlightdsb Uni hiatus

Electivire. Not Electrivire. That is all.

4. MeowMix

MeowMix We gotta cook

An old pal of mine believed Dialga can evolve.

5. dpmxus13

dpmxus13 mastershinycollecter

lolz XD i got a (kinda) big box of pokeman cards once. no rare cards what so ever! all junky lol. still though i cant wine. it did have cards i didn't have. so did that 5 bucks feel like a waste? hmmmm nah lolz.

6. No. 1 Machop Fan

No. 1 Machop Fan Well-Known Member

IMO, when they do that, it's a sign that they don't care. It's similar when they call Dragonball Z "Dragon balls" or "Dragon Ball Zed", or when they refer to any Lego (or similar) buildable action figure as a Bionicle toy, even when it's not.

I personally find it annoying.

7. Korotokku

Korotokku Something..

Meh, my brother used to not just say Pokémon, he said it like this.. Pokémon mon mon mon..

8. bippacooleth

bippacooleth Quiver Dance=Success

The strange, strange ways that some of my friends pronounce some pokemon's names. Such as Arcanine. One of my friends refuses to pronounce the 'canine' part of it, instead pronouncing it 'Arca-nine', against all the proof offered in the fact that Arcanine is a canine pokemon ¬¬

9. PsychedelicJellyfish

PsychedelicJellyfish formerly R. New

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  10. halloweenghost

halloweenghost Well-Known Member

my friend Jason use to think Ash's pikachu was the only one lol but i do not blame him he's not like a fan or anything.

11. Eloi

Eloi Well-Known Member

I had a friend who hyper-corrected herself in the pronounciation. "Pocke" as in the beginning of "Pocket" as opposed to a long o and long a so it sounded like "Paukimon". Is that actually correction worthy? I mean it makes sense if you think about.

12. foxyman1167

foxyman1167 From Zero To Hero

I did that up until the release of Pt, when I actually battled one.

I believed that for God knows how long.

13. noobers

noobers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

14. childxofxthexgrave

childxofxthexgrave Master of Reality

I overheard a group of kids in my tech theatre class arguing over whether are not KIRBY was a Pokemon.

15. No. 1 Machop Fan

No. 1 Machop Fan Well-Known Member

I pronounce it "Arca-nine", as did Gary in The Battle of the Badge.

16. Resident evil

Resident evil Some Guy

People who try to converse about pokemon with you, and then don't know what you're talking about.

17. Ohshi

Ohshi Banned from Club Penguin

Just because water rusts steel, doesn't mean water beats steel.

Electric is not light and so "light" doesn't beat dark.

Ice does not freeze water. Ice is frozen water.

Sigh, my friend knows nothing. -.-

18. Nitro123 (PG)

Nitro123 (PG) Needs a user title

Some kid on my bus thinks he knows everything about Poke'mon. Once, I asked him him if he know the recommended EV spread for the average Scizor. He didn't know anything about Scizor, but he know how to pronounce the name correctly, unlike me. (this kid thought Scizor was Bug/Flying type) And everyone wonders why I always win Poke'mon battles. -_-

19. Moltanic

Moltanic OTTER MODE ACTIVATE!

20. Eloi

Eloi Well-Known Member

[sarcastic] Yes, because everyone can remember the type combinations and EV spreads of 493-649 Pokemon. Makes perfect sense.