• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why Can't People Get It Right? Annoying Things and Pokémon

Poliwhirl'sMittens

Lorelei's Apprentice
It's not so much "annoying" as it is "curious," but everybody seems oblivious to the fact that in RBYFRLG, Red actually does talk, or at the very least has visible thoughts. I can think of at least two (possibly three) instances:

1) Outside Silph Co. when you inspect the sleeping Rocket Grunt. (He says "Ha! He's taking a snooze!")
2) When you inspect the Mewtwo statues at the Cinnabar Mansion and select whether or not to press them. (He says either "Who wouldn't?" or "Not quite yet.")
3) Potential dialog; whenever a Pokeball fails to capture its target. ("Shoot! It was so close!")

I always thought that was some omniscient narrator or a conscience or something lol.

I guess my pet peeve would be when they get stuff wrong in the anime. Lots of mistakes in the first movie. I heard that after they were realized, they intentionally left them in...but it still bothers me...It's like you are NOT about to tell me that the shadow of a Scyther is an Alakazam -_- I'm pretty sure I caught every single mistake as a kid and it was just awkward.

I even remember the Bill's lighthouse episode and seeing Mewtwo on his door. I remember yelling "IMPOSSIBLE!" Out loud -.-...

Also it was mistakes like these that led me to believe for the longest time that Arbok evolved into Seviper -_-

Last edited:

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
I always thought that was some omniscient narrator or a conscience or something lol.

Well, that is a possibility, but those statements look much more like the thoughts of an eleven-year-old. If it were the narrator speaking, it'd probably say stuff like "The guard is asleep" and "Decided not to press the switch."

Also, there are two moments in BW where Hilbert/Hilda can be interpreted as having dialog/visible thoughts. The first moment occurs on the first floor of Dragonspiral Tower, when N is summoning his dragon. After the ground rumbles, a box appears at the top of the screen that says "Is...is something going wild at the top of the tower?" The second moment occurs on Route 7 during Tornadus'/Thundurus' first appearance. After the old lady invites you into her house in order to tell you about the Kami Trio's mythology, she offers you a bowl of soup. Once you try it, another box comes up that says "A soup jam-packed with healthy vegetables. It's delicious!"

Izanagi

'Sup!
So Red is not an entirely an silent protagonist I guess however he essentially supposed to be the player so the little he does say if possibly what the player would say.

Poliwhirl'sMittens

Lorelei's Apprentice
Well, that is a possibility, but those statements look much more like the thoughts of an eleven-year-old. If it were the narrator speaking, it'd probably say stuff like "The guard is asleep" and "Decided not to press the switch."

Also, there are two moments in BW where Hilbert/Hilda can be interpreted as having dialog/visible thoughts. The first moment occurs on the first floor of Dragonspiral Tower, when N is summoning his dragon. After the ground rumbles, a box appears at the top of the screen that says "Is...is something going wild at the top of the tower?" The second moment occurs on Route 7 during Tornadus'/Thundurus' first appearance. After the old lady invites you into her house in order to tell you about the Kami Trio's mythology, she offers you a bowl of soup. Once you try it, another box comes up that says "A soup jam-packed with healthy vegetables. It's delicious!"

I usually think of Red's thoughts like Link. He always has to choose answers and stuff like that but you're right how with Red it's like the thoughts of an eleven-year-old (Is that really his confirmed age? It's so weird that an 11 year old beats the Elite Four and becomes a champion o.o) which is where the big difference lies. I think his silence is heavily emphasized now though, especially after the whole "................" deal in GSC and the remakes... Also have you seen the character art compared to the others? http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&...&ndsp=39&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:81&tx=116&ty=79 It's like jeez Red, cheer up!D;

For everyone saying they hate when people mispronounce pokemon names....You all would HATE me...

I usually am too lazy to actually read the pokemon names and say it off of a quick glance and it usually stays with me until I watch an anime episode where they say the names.
Example: Alomomola = Alomalomalo or Alomomomola (I say it both ways lol) ,
Druddigon = Druh-jih-gin,
Reuniclus = Reunucleus,
Garbodor = Garbador,
Darmanitan = Dartaminan,
Watchog = Watch hog,
Cofagrigus = Carssofigus,
Cubchoo = Chubchoo,
Beartic = Bee-artic

I haven't been up-to-date with the BW series so to this day I still use the above pronunciations hehehe...

Don't shoot me now.. -.-;

I also say the plural form of names with an 's' that's just for fun though.

Last edited:

Chingchar

When people pronounce Gyrados Gee-rawr-dos and they didn't have a foreign accent or anything otherwise it would have been fine.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
I usually think of Red's thoughts like Link. He always has to choose answers and stuff like that but you're right how with Red it's like the thoughts of an eleven-year-old (Is that really his confirmed age? It's so weird that an 11 year old beats the Elite Four and becomes a champion o.o) which is where the big difference lies. I think his silence is heavily emphasized now though, especially after the whole "................" deal in GSC and the remakes... Also have you seen the character art compared to the others? http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&...&ndsp=39&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:81&tx=116&ty=79 It's like jeez Red, cheer up!D;

Yeah, he's confirmed to be 11 years old, which I myself just recently learned as well. I mean, it's suggested by a trainer in Victory Road that you're a sort of "prodigy," so by that logic I don't think it's too big of a stretch to think that he might beat the E4 and the Champion (who was also only about 11 years old and managed to beat the E4 as well); but I do think it's a little hard to believe that a lone 11-year-old could force a powerful crime syndicate to dissolve. :p
This is actually why I really liked Platinum and BW; in Platinum, there were a handful of people that were willing to help you stop Team Galactic/make it to the Pokemon League (Barry, Cynthia, the opposite protagonist, even Wake and Looker helped to a degree I suppose...also, Cyrus didn't really try to stop you since he was too confident in his plan to care and even gave you some useful tips every now and then) while in BW, most of the Gym Leaders help you take care of any issues (lol Isshu) in their respective cities, not to mention Cheren and Bianca who are practically travelling alonside you as well as Alder, Juniper, and Cedric who help you out a lot...plus, like Cyrus, Ghetsis doesn't really try to stop you because of his overconfidence and N actually encourages you to challenge him, even letting you walk right into the castle and challenge him.

Jonah the Slaking

Couch-bound Warrior
When people forget the first A in GyArados.

Neyon

Calico Sheep
I had a friend who hyper-corrected herself in the pronounciation. "Pocke" as in the beginning of "Pocket" as opposed to a long o and long a so it sounded like "Paukimon". Is that actually correction worthy? I mean it makes sense if you think about.

Just to be the Japanese snob, the reason it's pronounced the way it is comes from the phonetic characters they use for it: ポケットモンスター Literally po ke t to mo n su ta a (the parts striked out are the ones not used in the contraction). Po, like pole, ke like keg, mo like mole and n like any word with an "n" in it...of course we tend to pronounce it more like pokiman, but oh well XD At the end of the day, everyone knows what you're talking about, so it doesn't matter :D

PokemonTrainerKaden

The strange, strange ways that some of my friends pronounce some pokemon's names. Such as Arcanine. One of my friends refuses to pronounce the 'canine' part of it, instead pronouncing it 'Arca-nine', against all the proof offered in the fact that Arcanine is a canine pokemon ¬¬

It actually is pronounced Arca-nine acording to the early anime but I do understand where you're coming from.

Cutty

Forever now
Some people abuse rare candy too much for evolving pokemon. Worse, the use of AR.

Balthazar-

Champion Trainer
Similair things happened to me constantly but in the yugioh franchise. People always used to think they were getting me a great present cool yugioh cards for my collection strong as all hell and have high levels and effects. I would be ridiculously excited and one time I got hundreds of them. Hundreds...of stupid..shiny..fake..twinkling yugioh cards. I HATE FAKE CARDS!