• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why Can't People Get It Right? Annoying Things and Pokémon

Vernikova

Champion
Alla_Blakeovna said:
I also laugh hysterically when 4Kids screws up dubbing the Pokemon anime or movies. Like the scene in Pokemon the First Movie when Meowth names the Pokemon getting cloned? He incorrectly names two of them. I forget exactly what Meowth said, but didn't he call an image of Scyther Sandslash or something?

I think it was said that they did that on purpose to make Team Rocket look stupid.

DarkMagicianGirl17

Ace Trainer Diana
What is the plural of Pokemon? Pokemon. Not Pokemen. Not Pokemons. Just Pokemon. All right? All right.

caterpie2

Pokemon ambassador
I can never understand why so often it's mispronounced as Pokemans... I mean how can you say man when it's mon.

Tabby Catty

Courtney loves Ruby
^Well, some people, including me, sort of say it as a joke, but yeah...

I also like saying pokemon in funny accents sometimes...

Vernikova

Champion
That's possible but it's their official word against the doubters' word.

Anyway, it also annoys me when people pluralize the names of Pokémon even though they are already plural. For example, changing Pikachu to Pikachus or Meowth to Meowths.

PsychedelicJellyfish

formerly R. New
It really bothers me off when people claim that the animé uses numerical levels and use it as a justification as to why Pikachu has to destroy everything it battles (Because it should be so level 100 by now).

That explanation carries a tiny, tiny amount of weight since levels have been mentioned a few times in the anime, so they do appear to exist in one form or another within the anime continuity. Most of the references are pretty vague though, and some of them arguably aren't actually referring to levels.

You knowthat Dialga i pronouced DEE-AL-GUH? well some of my friend pronouce it :

Dial-guh, like, as in dialing a phone

I pronounce it like that. Dia as in diamond. Because it has diamonds on it. And it's the mascot of Pokémon Diamond Version. Seems to make sense.

I have a question. How do you pronounce Gardevoir? I pronounce it as "Gardevor." But Pokemon Battle Revolution pronounces it as "Gardevwah." Which is right? Mine sounds less weird...

Gardevwah. I've never heard it as anything else. It uses French pronunciation devices as its name is probably rooted in the French words garde and devoir. What exactly is the letter i doing in your pronunciation? Nothing. That's what it's doing.

Last edited:

FormeEon

The DNA Master
One thing I remember.

Somewhere in this one official Pokemon book, it said that Shuppet evolved into Banette, whoch evolved into Duskull, which evloved into Dusclops.

pokemon491 FTW

Percussionist
Not sure if anyone had this happen,but in 4th grade(3 years ago)almost everyone said they were a fan of pokemon.I would ask them which pokemon they knew.And you know what everyone's answer was?Pikachu,the mascot of the whole franchise!They didn't know any of the starters if their lives depended on it!

AzukanAsimbu

Petal Paladin

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
You knowthat Dialga i pronouced DEE-AL-GUH? well some of my friend pronouce it :

Dial-guh, like, as in dialing a phone

CRAP I've been spelling AND pronouncing the name wrong this whole time o_O. I thought it was "Diagla".

That habit's going to be hard to break down -_-;...

Vernikova

Champion
That explanation carries a tiny, tiny amount of weight since levels have been mentioned a few times in the anime, so they do appear to exist in one form or another within the anime continuity. Most of the references are pretty vague though, and some of them arguably aren't actually referring to levels.

That is why I get annoyed sometimes when people mention it constantly. It's mentioned such few times that they can seemingly be lines that can be thrown away.

pokemon491 FTW said:
Not sure if anyone had this happen,but in 4th grade(3 years ago)almost everyone said they were a fan of pokemon.I would ask them which pokemon they knew.And you know what everyone's answer was?Pikachu,the mascot of the whole franchise!They didn't know any of the starters if their lives depended on it!

I think that it just emphasizes the the appeal of Pikachu. Which is why I wonder what reason people could have for people wanting to get rid of Pikachu in the animé other than "Ash has had it for years and it sucks",

Last edited:

Ame Kuudere

This. Tons of people I know are guilty of this. Except, uh, they're high schoolers.
Upon Pokemon becoming a topic of our conversation, they'll say either:
1. "Oh yeah, Pokemon! I loved that show/Pikachu!"
....I'm talking about the games, people. Or occasionally the manga, Pokemon Special, but then I'd've said Pokemon Special. In any case, I did not mean the show. I know the show was pretty popular, but do you HAVE to automatically assume I'm talking about the show??

2. "I'm a huge fan of Pokemon!" or other such claims of knowing a lot about it, because uncool is cool now (so are 'randomness' and hating Justin Bieber, but that's a different story)
"Then tell me one non-legendary, non-starter, non-generation-one Pokemon."
"Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..."
If you're going to pretend that you like Pokemon, at least know a little about it to make your pretense more believable.

3. Stuff like "Ew, you like Pokemon?" or "Pokemon's for little kids. People your age should be playing Halo/COD/whatever. Ohwaitno, girls don't play video games."
Okay I embellished that last part.
Anyways, I hate that gamers who play FPSs are considered "badass" and gamers who play popular stuff like, say, Super Mario Galaxy or LoZ (not that they're bad; just for example's sake) are considered "cool", but people who play more "kiddish" or unknown games like Pokemon, Ace Attorney, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Fire Emblem, whatever, are considered "lame".

And then there are those people who cling to their uber teams and have no strategy or foresight or anything as to how to use them. I already don't like uber teams; don't make it worse by giving your Groudon Rollout. Or the non-uber version, in which people smash Shaymin/Mew/Togekiss/Umbreon/Glaceon/Espeon/Leafeon/Plusle/Minun on their teams because they're cute, but have no idea how to use them.

Speaking of 'cute', what happened to acknowledging the existence of Pokemon like Dunsparce or Qwilfish or Relicanth or Trapinch? C'mon, coelacanths are cool, righ-- OHMYGODLOOKIT'SAKAWAIIDESUKITTYPOKEMON!

Also, the Red =/= Ash =/= Pokemon Trainer and Green =/= Gary thing ... Red is the game PC, or even the manga character if you want, but he isn't Ash. Ash is a moron with magical powers (*cough* Pokemon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea *cough*). Similarly, Green is not Gary. I'll excuse people who call him Blue because it's really not their faults on that one. But Gary? NO. NOOOO.

And just as a side note, I pronounce it "Poe-kuh-mon", and I always say it reallyreallyfast. And for some reason I say "guard-uh-vwarrr", 'die-al-guh', 'arka-nine', 'gibble', and I switch between 'ar-see-us' and 'ar-kee-us'. You all hate me now, I know. Especially because I've essentially recapitulated everything everyone else already said. But more loquacious...ly. I swear, this always happens. I can't type out a short post for the life of me. And then I get really self-conscious about my posts and hope people don't reply by yelling at me. D:

That Was Different

3. Stuff like "Ew, you like Pokemon?" or "Pokemon's for little kids. People your age should be playing Halo/COD/whatever. Ohwaitno, girls don't play video games."
Okay I embellished that last part.
Anyways, I hate that gamers who play FPSs are considered "badass" and gamers who play popular stuff like, say, Super Mario Galaxy or LoZ (not that they're bad; just for example's sake) are considered "cool", but people who play more "kiddish" or unknown games like Pokemon, Ace Attorney, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Fire Emblem, whatever, are considered "lame".
You're right--it is a shame how Pokémon is considered lame while FPS games are recognized so much for being sooooo cool. It's a shame too, because Pokémon is one of the best RPGs out there.

I already don't like uber teams; don't make it worse by giving your Groudon Rollout.
Amen.

Speaking of 'cute', what happened to acknowledging the existence of Pokemon like Dunsparce or Qwilfish or Relicanth or Trapinch? C'mon, coelacanths are cool, righ-- OHMYGODLOOKIT'SAKAWAIIDESUKITTYPOKEMON!
Coelacanths are cool, but the rest of that paragraph frightens me.

And just as a side note, I pronounce it "Poe-kuh-mon", and I always say it reallyreallyfast. And for some reason I say "guard-uh-vwarrr", 'die-al-guh', 'arka-nine', 'gibble', and I switch between 'ar-see-us' and 'ar-kee-us'. You all hate me now, I know. Especially because I've essentially recapitulated everything everyone else already said. But more loquacious...ly. I swear, this always happens. I can't type out a short post for the life of me. And then I get really self-conscious about my posts and hope people don't reply by yelling at me. D:
You don't have to worry; yours was one of the better responses (no offense to all you other awesome peoples!). But yes, while some pronounce Gardevoir as "Gar-de-vwah," I pronounce the "R" at the end of the word. It would seem odd to leave it off, but then, I confess I know very little of the French language.

And about the pronunciation of Pokémon, at least the original voice actors in America use that as one of several acceptable pronunciations. In the early days it was usually "Pok-uh-mon".

Umbreon9

It's been a while...
lol This doesn't really bother me, but it was pretty funny:
I went on Cartoonnetwork.com (or something like that) to listen to a Poke rap (don't do it all the time, by the way), the one for the first episode. I didn't notice it at first, but after watching it one more time, I realized that on the screen it said "Poliwrath". But the picture was a Poliwag! I did this again to make sure. A few weeks later they fixed it, though.
Again, I wasn't mad-- it was actually pretty funny.

halloweenghost

lol This doesn't really bother me, but it was pretty funny:
I went on Cartoonnetwork.com (or something like that) to listen to a Poke rap (don't do it all the time, by the way), the one for the first episode. I didn't notice it at first, but after watching it one more time, I realized that on the screen it said "Poliwrath". But the picture was a Poliwag! I did this again to make sure. A few weeks later they fixed it, though.
Again, I wasn't mad-- it was actually pretty funny.

they had golem showing a graveler in the pokerap all throught it;s syndication run lol

OrangeDonphan

Proboscidians rule.
I had one friend who couldn't pronounce the names if his life mattered on it. He would take the first sound of the name, then start spewing random letters, and then the end of the name. It would end up like Keogeryay (Kyogre) or Grondun (Groudon).

Bronzong#1

Cell Shaded
pokemon

some kids in my history class were saying ridley from Metroid was a pokemon i was stunned how stupid people can be

Korotokku

Something..
some kids in my history class were saying ridley from Metroid was a pokemon i was stunned how stupid people can be

I guess you could think that with all the new dragon type Pokémon, but that's kinda dumb. Only because I am a Metroid fan.