• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why did Ash lose interest in females?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDragonfangirl

Maybe Giselle's rejection hit him hard so he never wanted to fall in love againXD

NA, From interviews they said they didn't know what his character in that series, they were still experimenting with his character.

Guess as the series went on they finally decided he should be clueless with love, though in my opinion I think it's only about Pokemon being in love. If you look at the clues he seems to get Brock falling in love and flirting, I don't know if this was dubbed added or not but by the end of the AG series he seemed to get that Drew liked May.

Navin

MALDREAD
Sometimes he's aware of love, other times he's completely oblivious. It's just bad writing honestly.

It's not like he isn't into girls. He checked out Misty couple times in the OS if I recall. And I'm sure there were other instances where he showed he is interested in females.

But yeah, he's mostly depicted as a chaste hero, albeit with some exceptions here and there. Maybe with Serena's 'canon' crush things might change...

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Sometimes he's aware of love, other times he's completely oblivious. It's just bad writing honestly.

It's not like he isn't into girls. He checked out Misty couple times in the OS if I recall. And I'm sure there were other instances where he showed he is interested in females.

But yeah, he's mostly depicted as a chaste hero, albeit with some exceptions here and there. Maybe with Serena's 'canon' crush things might change...

I'm pretty sure he only ever twicw saw misty on the light as being attractive, when she dressed as a kimono and beauty and the beach, which was banned in the dub. Plus neither of those implies ash knows what love is.

I'm pretty sure he only ever twicw saw misty on the light as being attractive, when she dressed as a kimono and beauty and the beach, which was banned in the dub. Plus neither of those implies ash knows what love is.

He loves his friends, his mother, and his Pokemon. I'm pretty sure he knows what love is, anything in regard shouldn't be talking seriously filler, dub, or sub.

Navin

MALDREAD

I felt like there were more instances, but even those two examples are sufficient in demonstrating that he notices and is interested in females. Sure...that doesn't imply Ash understands love because they are distinct altogether. All I'm saying is that it's not like he's not into girls. Regarding romance though, sometimes he's aware of it, sometimes he's not.

pokefandt

Honestly I'm kinda glad there's no romance with Ash, for two reason.

1) I genuinely don't trust the writer to handle it well. Good Romance is hard man, even for writers experienced in it.

2) Stick Ash with one girl, all the people shipping him with other girls (and there are quite a few on both fronts) will never shut up about it.

I812

I herd u liek mudkip
Personally, I blame the parents. Mainly because parents (Well at least in the US and Canada.) always try to find something to complain about even in the most innocent of things, including Pokémon. Well at least that's my opinion.

majormanafemale

That and couple glances at MIsty's rear end

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I was rewatching some OS episodes and it dawned on me. Ash was never really clueless about girls early on. Like when he was head over heels for Giselle and the part where where he says A beautiful girl that is even better then pirates (Or something like that in the Bulbasaur episode) So why did they make him so clueless about girls and crushes later on Not sure when it began but realizing he has shown interest in females very early on only to make him oblivious to them now is weird.

That Giselle thing wasn't even that big of a deal imo; the way the fandom makes it sound, you'd think Ash had proposed to her or something. From what I remember, Ash merely found her to be attractive and that's pretty much it. Anyway, I don't think he lost interest in females per se; I just think the writers wanted to move away from stuff like that because the anime was supposed to be more about the Pokemon than the humans. Ash noticing girls more in the earlier episodes just wasn't relevant to the show in general imo.

Eievui-Nymphia

XY, gen of dreams.
@MidnightMelody, there's a problem.

The Giselle episode is a very special case. It was the only episode where Ash fall for a girl, Giselle. And Brock fall with Giselle when Brock later only falls to older girls.

And this is the episode where numerical levels are mentioned at all. In this episode, a student says that Pidgey evolve at 18 and Pidgeotto evolves at 36.

All of these thing has never appeared again in the history of the anime.

CMDShift4

Anonymous
Different writers. Different styles.

The main writer for the Original Series had a significantly different vision of what the Pokemon World was supposed to be. For them it was more of the real world with magical monsters in it. The writers who came along later in the series did more to define Pokemon as a fantasy world with a similar but different culture than the real world. Those changes extended to pretty much every aspect of the show and caused some stuff said and done in the original series to be retconned.

Ash losing interest in girls could be considered a retcon. Or it could be considered a phase. I took it as a one-time joke that wasn't meant to be taken seriously, but of course shippers take even the slightest thing and run with it.

THIS pretty much nailed it. Other than that, it was shown during the first run of the series that the anime staff at that time doesn't have a plan to follow up that detail in a long run. It is simply made just for small gag.

#retcon simply is the keyword here

Things that happened in the OS, especially early in the OS, should be taken with a grain of salt in my opinion....

sandy ketchum

May be the writers were'nt certain about ash's character. It was probably just a one time experiment with ash's character as it was an early episode after which they decided to make him clueless.

STICKTOPIA

The show is about ash trying to become a pokemon master so the love thing isn't really a part of it. Enjoy that episode with him going google over eyes for Giselle because god knows when we'll see that moment happen again. Don't get me wrong it would be nice to ash like more girls but since it's not really Ash's goal.... At least they show girls having a crush on ash especially like Serena since she's a main character :)

Vernikova

Champion
How can you top Giselle? You know you've got a winner when everyone thinks she's pretty.

[img139]http://www.serebii.net/anime/pictures/indigo/009/I191.jpg[/img139]

Shiny pokemon lower

Since Ash is stucked to always be ten years no matter how many years the Pokemon Anime Show goes on in real life he never evolve some love interest either. Not all children in real life which are ten years have evolved love interests, and Ash is obiviously one of the children in the cartoons who hasn't. In Giselles cace they probably used Ash instead of Brock because of the age difference. But it was mabye also an "error" The Writers did in that episode? I just Wonder since they havn't do that With Ash since then and meny years have passed since that episode aired.
The reason why they havnt let Ash fall in love since then is probably since the show is mainly focused at pokemon. That could also mabye change Ash in a negative way, so the writers won't take the risk. Of Ash's Companions only Brock (who nearly shows it to every woman) and Misty has shoved any kind of love interest. No one since then I think?

Last edited:

Vintrial

Whouffle.
Since Ash is stucked to always be ten years no matter how many years the Pokemon Anime Show goes on in real life he never evolve some love interest either. Not all children in real life which are ten years have evolved love interests, and Ash is obiviously one of the children in the cartoons who hasn't. In Giselles cace they probably used Ash instead of Brock because of the age difference. But it was mabye also an "error" The Writers did in that episode? I just Wonder since they havn't do that With Ash since then and meny years have passed since that episode aired.
The reason why they havnt let Ash fall in love since then is probably since the show is mainly focused at pokemon. That could also mabye change Ash in a negative way, so the writers won't take the risk. Of Ash's Companions only Brock (who nearly shows it to every woman) and Misty has shoved any kind of love interest. No one since then I think?

What about May and Serena did too.
He didn't lose interest in females, he just doesn't care about that.

Sometimes he would still have a reaction, a couple of times with Misty, and when Dawn dressed up as Salvia come to mind.
He just have other things to do not related to love.

Status
Not open for further replies.