• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why did Axew suddenly forget it wanted to evolve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keepitsimple

site of lies
And as been said the animators say its evolved forms were too hard to draw/animate, which is kind of stupid since they appeared anyway.

Yeah it's definitely BS, are we expected to believe Fraxure is just insanely hard to draw and animate or something? Ash and co own plenty of pokemon that look more time consuming to draw and animate than Fraxure ._.

Plus if this was the reason, the writers shouldn't have foreshadowed Axew's evolution in the first place.

I'm surprised people took that one scene to heart tbh. I just felt it was a forgettable scene and nothing more. :p

Tbh if you're writing a show and going out of your way to foreshadow a future plot point, I think it's reasonable for people to ask why it never ended up happening

Last edited:

matt0044

I'm surprised people took that one scene to heart tbh. I just felt it was a forgettable scene and nothing more. :p

It was a characterization moment and established that as some point, Axew wanted to evolve.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Along the way they decided to make him a mascot, even though we already had Pikachu and the Isshu starters for that. Plus, he wasn't even cute enough to be a highly marketable mascot. Heck, I thought he was kind of ugly.

And as been said the animators say its evolved forms were too hard to draw/animate, which is kind of stupid since they appeared anyway.

So the writers had a lame excuse for preventing Axew's evolution, much like what happened to Dawn's Piplup. That poor penguin was prevented from progression because of marketing and Hidaka saying that the evolutions were too unfitting for Dawn.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
So the writers had a lame excuse for preventing Axew's evolution, much like what happened to Dawn's Piplup. That poor penguin was prevented from progression because of marketing and Hidaka saying that the evolutions were too unfitting for Dawn.
Dawn's Piplup didn't want to evolve which is why he was given the Everstone. Not every Pokémon had to evolve and some of her Pokémon like Cyndiquil and Piloswine did evolve. Pachirisu can't evolve, Togekiss is still new, and Buneary just didn't evolve yet. Her team is still pretty strong regardless.

Leonhart

Imagineer

I do recall a staff member of the anime calling Pochama's evolutions ugly during DP, and I feel like the same notion applies to Kibago's evolved forms, especially Ononokusu. They're not very appealing.

Champion Jared 14

Is this cyber cubed from the old board?? You seriously give off that vibe.

But uhh yeah I dunno. Maybe they didn’t have her battle enough. I have a spotty memory of BW. Idk if she consistently helped to battle TR or whatever

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
Easy. Axew was simply not ready enough. A bit more training here or there would help... in-universe that is.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
I have to disagree here because no matter how you look at it, the moment the writers showed that Axew wants to fully evolve especially showing it wants this at the beginning of the series would create the expectation that it would have evolved at least once in that series there is no getting around that, and saying that oh well it doesn't matter because Iris' axew hurt Cynthia Garchomp and learned Giga Impact and Outrage, the problem with that is that we didn't really see Axew battle enough so it made the whole thing of Axew learning Outrage and Giga Impact and hurting Cynthia's Garchomp seem like this that it just pulled out it's rear.

If the writers didn't intend to evolve Axew at some point in the series then there is no point in bringing up the fact that it wants to evolve, and the whole thing about Scraggy being Axew training partner seem to get to the point to where the writers completely stopped caring about that relationship, considering how loped side there were making Axew in terms of power. I'm not saying that at the end of BW that it had to be a Haxorus, however no matter how you look at it there was no reason why they couldn't have evolved it into a Fraxure at some point, and if the wanted to market Axew a lot then they could have just had it as an Axew for most of the series and then towards the end of the series evolved it into a Fraxure.
As oppose the other constant things the writers pulled out of their rear? I’m sorry but Serena’s Eevee randomly evolving because Miette and James were destroying her was more BS than Axew learning Outrage. And the only explanation we got was “they had a really close bond” despite Serena JUST capturing Eevee not long ago. Also I was saying Outrage or Giga Impact made for Iris not evolving, I was arguing him claiming Axew didn’t progress. Also it’s not like Scraggy was that much better than Axew by the end of BW. He was barely used in DA and was overall probably one of the least used Pokémon of his next to Unfezeant and Palpitoad.

Last edited:

SinnohEevee

Because it would be harder to anime and it sells more plushies.
Worst is that they didn't even bother to provide an in-universe reason (like him changing his mind), they just hoped we would forget about it like with the GS Ball.
Also, if it was about animation costs, they could have still had him evolve at the end of the series or show him evolved during that special.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Easy. Axew was simply not ready enough. A bit more training here or there would help... in-universe that is.

I felt that Kibago had enough experience needed to evolve. He wasn't a powerhouse by any means of course, yet we've seen weaker Pokemon than him evolve in the past (Togepy comes to mind).

satopi

I felt that Kibago had enough experience needed to evolve. He wasn't a powerhouse by any means of course, yet we've seen weaker Pokemon than him evolve in the past (Togepy comes to mind).
Togepi evolves through strong friendship.

LilyTwo

Because the writers wanted him to remain "cute" and marketable.

matt0044

Because the writers wanted him to remain "cute" and marketable.

Okay, but why not do what they did with Piplup and EXPLAIN THIS CHANGE?

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Okay, but why not do what they did with Piplup and EXPLAIN THIS CHANGE?
They probably got lazy to explain it, or BW was much shorter than DP so they couldn't cram more stuffs?

Axew: *has one dream sequence where it evolves*

Axew: *also doesn't really show any other wishes to evolve throughout the series*

FANDOM: WHY DOESN'T AXEW WANNA EVOLVE ANYMORE? PLOT HOLEEEEEE

Ridiculous. I think the funniest part about all of this is how the fans took ONE dream that Axew had about evolving and took it as Axew's strong desire to evolve, lmao. Despite the fact that Axew never really consciously showed any desire to evolve into Haxorus.

It's yet another case of the fans misinterpreting everything and then complaining because their interpretation is inherently wrong.

SinnohEevee

Axew: *also doesn't really show any other wishes to evolve throughout the series*

Ridiculous. I think the funniest part about all of this is how the fans took ONE dream that Axew had about evolving and took it as Axew's strong desire to evolve, lmao. Despite the fact that Axew never really consciously showed any desire to evolve into Haxorus.

It's yet another case of the fans misinterpreting everything and then complaining because their interpretation is inherently wrong.

Then it begs the question: why did the writers bother showing this dream?

satopi

It was what he wanted to do. Just because he hasn't evolved yet, it doesn't mean that he won't evolve. It's just a goal of his that he hasn't met yet.

Leonhart

Imagineer

I think you've hit the nail on the head regarding the audience jumping the gun about Kibago's dream. In hindsight, I wish we hadn't seen that dream scene in the Munna episode since it didn't exactly matter.

Because the dreams were the whole focus of the episode???

Not every single scene/dream is relevant. Ash had a dream about riding Zekrom, was he supposed to catch Zekrom then? Please.

At the very least people could stop pretending as if Axew *wanted* to evolve when there were zero scenes in the anime that depicted Axew's wish to evolve.

Status
Not open for further replies.