• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why did Giovanni cheat when he first battled Gary Oak????

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
This belongs in the anime section but essentially he just wanted to test out Mewtwo's capabilities and got annoyed by Gary's cocky behavior. Other than that, it's not really cheating and there's not really much to Giovanni's character in the anime version compared to his game and Adventures counterpart, so it's pretty much open to interpretation at this point.

This belongs in the anime section but essentially he just wanted to test out Mewtwo's capabilities and got annoyed by Gary's cocky behavior. Other than that, it's not really cheating and there's not really much to Giovanni's character in the anime version compared to his game and Adventures counterpart, so it's pretty much open to interpretation at this point.

Yeah, Giovanni is a very crafty fellow.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Yeah, Giovanni is a very crafty fellow.
Especially in the Adventures version! Oh man Giovanni is so damn intimidating, he reminds me of Slade Wilson from Teen Titans, I can even picture his voice actor, Ron Perlman, as the perfect voice actor for Adventures Giovanni. The character plays mind-games, can read you like a book, think ten steps ahead of you. He's the type of trainer you actually have to outsmart to beat.

Especially in the Adventures version! Oh man Giovanni is so damn intimidating, he reminds me of Slade Wilson from Teen Titans, I can even picture his voice actor, Ron Perlman, as the perfect voice actor for Adventures Giovanni. The character plays mind-games, can read you like a book, think ten steps ahead of you. He's the type of trainer you actually have to outsmart to beat.

Giovanni is still trying to cause big trouble for everyone inside and outside the anime.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
No he didn't cheat, Mewtwo is still a Pokémon regardless if it's a legendary, a clone, or a normal Pokémon. Technically Gary would have cheated since at the time using 2 Pokémon at once wasn't allowed, but Giovanni allowed him to use 2.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Remember that it wasn't the first time Giovanni used Mewtwo in his gym battles, he had at least a few battles prior to Gary challenging him, who ended up getting frustrated and sent in two Pokémon with permission from the gym leader. All to show off Mewtwo's power. In that instance, he wasn't a cheater, just unfair. (Lucky for Gary that he already had the badges to participate in the Indigo League, even though the loss to Giovanni was a blow to his ego and potentially traumatized him.)

Granted, though, Giovanni must believe he's above the law given that he's the boss of Team Rocket, the most notorious, black market monopolist in the Pokémon world. In the CD drama, he actually steals his challenger's Pokémon after defeating it and then ordered Mewtwo to attack the kid. This was the exchange:

(Giovanni steals the defeated Magmar)
Trainer: Wait! You're going to take my Pokémon?!
Giovanni: I won.
Trainer: That's breaking the rules!
Giovanni: Remember this: "Breaking the rules" is a compliment to Team Rocket.
(Giovanni then orders Mewtwo to use Swift on the trainer.)

So yeah, Giovanni's not above cheating when he wants to, but he didn't cheat during Gary's challenge.

KillerDraco

It was a tie-in for the first movie. That's all.

Regardless, something like this would be more at home in the anime discussion. So Closed for wrong section.

Status
Not open for further replies.