• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why did Greninja never learn Night Slash?

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Especially when

-It has it in the Gen VII games.

-The animation (in Gen VI anime) for Cut and Night Slash is basically identical except the color.

This is the most mind-boggling thing to me that didn't happen in XY&Z because it just seemed so obvious it would happen...and then it didn't.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Probably cause Dark type in Japan is Evil type and they didn't want our hero using dark weapons when they could use Cut (and have that shining white knight effect going on).

Red and Blue

I think the fact that Cut and Night Slash are similar looking (minus the different colors) is the reason why it didn't learn it.

Janovy

Banned
Maybe because its Japanese name in translation means Crossroad Killing.

According to Bulbapedia, anyway.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Maybe because its Japanese name in translation means Crossroad Killing.

According to Bulbapedia, anyway.

And cut translates out to something related to ninja swords aka Greninja.

Janovy

Banned
And cut translates out to something related to ninja swords aka Greninja.
I didn't know that. That does make sense.

I mean, I WISH Greninja had Night Slash, but I can see where the writers are coming from.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I didn't know that. That does make sense.

I mean, I WISH Greninja had Night Slash, but I can see where the writers are coming from.

I checked the translation. The Japanese name for Cut references Iaido, a marital art that emphasizes a quick draw to a sudden attack using a sword.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I think this is because the writers wanted Cut to look like a Water type move- as it happened when Greninja used Cut as Ash-Greninja, it looked like Water Kunai blades. With Night Slash, this wasn't possible, as the colour of Night Slash is purple.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
He should have. Cut is one of the lamest moves in the games and I utterly hated seeing Greninja with it as much as I hate Pikachu having Electro Ball over Volt Tackle.
Not to mention, they never treated Greninja like a Dark type. He was pretty much just another Water type. With Night Slash, at least it would have been acknowledged he was a Dark type too. Ash-Greninja from the Sun/Moon demo is what Ash-Greninja SHOULD have been.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I think the fact that Cut and Night Slash are similar looking (minus the different colors) is the reason why it didn't learn it.

Yea Cut and Night Slash are pretty similar in terms of how they're animated, so I can understand why Greninja just kept Cut. Cut's weaker in the games, but in the anime it can be as strong as the plot demands it to be. I'm more bothered by the fact that Meowth hasn't learned Night Slash. ^^;

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Especially when

-It has it in the Gen VII games.

-The animation (in Gen VI anime) for Cut and Night Slash is basically identical except the color.

This is the most mind-boggling thing to me that didn't happen in XY&Z because it just seemed so obvious it would happen...and then it didn't.

Would Night Slash have even made a difference, though? Like, Greninja would have been handled the same way IMO, regardless of him knowing it or not.

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
only difference it would've made really is that it would sound cooler in the dub. it was always kinda weird for me when ash is in a heated battle and he proceeds to tell is overpowered ace to use.........cut.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Cut and Night Slash are the same move, the only difference is that Night Slash is purple.

Nah, the difference is one references a sword technique and the other would basically have Ash calling out "kill" every time it was used.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Would Night Slash have even made a difference, though? Like, Greninja would have been handled the same way IMO, regardless of him knowing it or not.

I also don't think Night Slash would've made a difference in terms of Greninja's battles in the long run at least. I'm sure he would've had the exact same battle record even if he had gotten rid of Cut and used Night Slash instead. The only real change would've been aesthetic.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Cut is the same thing basically, just a different type so I guess it was because Greninja didn't need it?

Even though there's no STAB in the anime, I do get annoyed when one of Ash's Pokémon doesn't learn a move of one of its own types, especially when it's a type such as Dark that Ash has rarely had.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Probably because they wanted to make him use Kunais ? Because cut look like more kunai/dagger and Night Slash seems to be a katana.

I think I read somewhere that some ninja used swords as weapons as well however and not just kunai daggers. So I don't think that Night Slash being similar to a sword stroke would've made it clash with Greninja's ninja theme. ^^

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Probably because they wanted to make him use Kunais ? Because cut look like more kunai/dagger and Night Slash seems to be a katana.

The moves are animated identically outside of the color (white vs. purple)