• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why did it take awhile before reoccuring characters became League Opponents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiyonder

Overlord
Whether it was perfect or not, one thing that gives the Sinnoh League a bragging right is that all but the last match had Ash fighting against characters that appear throughout DP as opposed to introducing new trainers (Johto was taking a small step in the right direction though by having Gary as an opponent).

And really doing so arguably makes sense as:
1. It gives the match more of a hype to it.
2. In a series this long, why go to the trouble of introducing another character we might not see again when we can get more milage out of some previous characters?

Heck, with the Indigo League they couldn't even come up with some distinctive opponents for Ash's second and third match (therefore compressing them severely), so bringing in someone like the Samurai, Giselle or AJ would have made for a great improvement.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
Just to be clear here: Ash did fight characters that weren't his rivals in the Sinnoh League. It's just that those matches were condensed to make room for the matches between his Rivals and Tobias.

A good way to answer this question is to think about significant characters after Kanto. Who would have been worthy of fighting Ash in the League in Johto where he had weak Rivals or Hoenn where he had no Rivals until the League? Kanto had a bunch of interesting CoTD and even League Opponents but the same can't be said about the other sagas until Sinnoh.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
Guess that's just how they wanted it... Apparently when Nando cought a Buneary he used it alot more then Dawn and her Buneary cause unlike Dawn's Buneary his evolved into Lopunny.

Nekaku

Guess that's just how they wanted it... Apparently when Nando cought a Buneary he used it alot more then Dawn and her Buneary cause unlike Dawn's Buneary his evolved into Lopunny.

He could of just caught it as a Lopbunny

BTW why didn't Ash face Casey in the league?

Antiyonder

Overlord
Just to be clear here: Ash did fight characters that weren't his rivals in the Sinnoh League. It's just that those matches were condensed to make room for the matches between his Rivals and Tobias.

Of course, but it still made use of already existing characters rather than constantly using new ones.

A good way to answer this question is to think about significant characters after Kanto. Who would have been worthy of fighting Ash in the League in Johto where he had weak Rivals or Hoenn where he had no Rivals until the League? Kanto had a bunch of interesting CoTD and even League Opponents but the same can't be said about the other sagas until Sinnoh.

I suppose to best way to respond would be another question. Why weren't Macy or Salvador (from Johto) introduced early on? I mean it's not like there wasn't room for some episodes to build up rivalry between them.

Last edited:

An00bis

Wicked Witch
BTW why didn't Ash face Casey in the league?

She didn't collect enough badges. Apparently she doesn't collect badges anymore which is perfectly all right. There's only so much failure one can take before changing career paths ... unless you're Team Rocket. Team Rocket is consistent for failing regardless of their career path.

Why weren't Macy or Salvador (from Johto) introduced early on?

The way I see it (until Word of God proves me wrong) Macy was a last minute replacement to Casey. They share a member of the same evolution family, a similar name, and a voice actress in certain dubs.

My initial response to Salvador was " Who is Salvador? ". He isn't quite as memorable as Morrison or even Katie as far as League exclusive Trainers go. His main Pokemon being Furret doesn't really help his case either.

Illif

Banned
Whether it was perfect or not, one thing that gives the Sinnoh League a bragging right is that all but the last match had Ash fighting against characters that appear throughout DP as opposed to introducing new trainers (Johto was taking a small step in the right direction though by having Gary as an opponent).

And really doing so arguably makes sense as:
1. It gives the match more of a hype to it.
2. In a series this long, why go to the trouble of introducing another character we might not see again when we can get more milage out of some previous characters?

Heck, with the Indigo League they couldn't even come up with some distinctive opponents for Ash's second and third match (therefore compressing them severely), so bringing in someone like the Samurai, Giselle or AJ would have made for a great improvement.

Richie. he fought Richie in the indigo plateau. but i guess he doesn't count?
i would have preferred he fought gary at the end and won it but i guess they thought it was too early to have him win a league. and enter disposable plot device character, richie for him to lose to. and justified his appearance by giving him an episode to appear in.

Last edited:

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Why did it take awhile before reoccuring characters became League Opponents?

Because they didn't have anything like that in Kanto, OS, Johto, and AG. That's why. DP made a step towards it and now BW is making a trend. However, the characters here are more weaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.