• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why did Malva change sides?

Jeal

In the SME Act IV, she seemed to know Lysandre's intentions, and seemed to be okay with it, but after Team Flare attacked, she was shocked and sided with Ash. What do you think? It would be cool Malva battling Diantha(or Steven).

04n70n10

Indeed, another #Missed opportunity, without any logic.

Lysandre and Malva VS Ash and Alain..... an epic battle................................ no. Why, writers????

Why only Lysandre, alone, with only two mons at the top of Prism Tower, "vs All"?

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
The "This wasn't what I signed up for" cliche that's in every military movie, ever.

/thread

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
“I knew you were crazy but I didn’t know you were a homicidal psychopath crazy ”-Malva (probably)

Epicocity

Was she really aware, though?

I got the impression that while Malva knew that Lysandre was grooming Alain for his purposes and certainly had this vision of seeing the world better, I don't think she ever actually knew just what Lysandre was planning overall. She wanted to believe in a better future, which Lysandre was promising, but it seemed that very few people actually knew the extent that Lysandre was willing to go to. Once that was revealed, Malva couldn't stand by and let it happen, even if she was partially complicit in it.

04n70n10

Because the anime staff winced at how openly antagonistic she was to the player in the games that they wanted to make her absolutely boring.
Yep, mission accomplished, Malva in the end was completely useless/boring in the team flare arc (save only just for ME Act IV).

Really, what was the point... I repeat myself, at the top of prism tower a 2vs2 match (Malva and Lysandre vs Ash and Alain) It would have been more """"fair"""" and "balanced". No, basically Lysandre was overwhelmed by Ash and Alain (2 mons vs 2 high leveled FULL teams........................), and without even using directly Z-2 in battle.... sigh!

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Yep, mission accomplished, Malva in the end was completely useless/boring in the team flare arc (save only just for ME Act IV)
I remembered a guy doing Pokemon demotivational posters at DeviantArt, thought about the idea about Malva fighting against Serena and he truly despised the idea having the latter win their battle.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I would have preferred if they kept Malva as an antagonist instead of switching sides for some reason.
I remembered a guy doing Pokemon demotivational posters at DeviantArt, thought about the idea about Malva fighting against Serena and he truly despised the idea having the latter win their battle.
There would be no possible way of Serena winning that wouldn't come off as a DEM

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
There would be no possible way of Serena winning that wouldn't come off as a DEM
Yeah, it doesn't help with the battle records Serena had prior to the Team Flare arc and there's no feud history between the two.

I would like to see Malva bringing salt at Serena like "Your mother was an impressive Rhyhorn racer, but you're just a crybaby. Did you change that cool Rhyhorn racing goal into that boring beauty pageant show?", and Serena tries to prove her wrong.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
I would have preferred if they kept Malva as an antagonist instead of switching sides for some reason.

Forget serena all the pokegirls would be one shotted by E4 trainer like malvia.

FlygontheRavager

#1 Pokémon Anime Fan!
Really, what was the point... I repeat myself, at the top of prism tower a 2vs2 match (Malva and Lysandre vs Ash and Alain) It would have been more """"fair"""" and "balanced". No, basically Lysandre was overwhelmed by Ash and Alain (2 mons vs 2 high leveled FULL teams........................), and without even using directly Z-2 in battle.... sigh!

Lysandre needed no help. His Mega Gyarados came close to singlehandedly defeating everyone there. Without Malva, Ash and Alain may very well have lost.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Forget serena all the pokegirls would be one shotted by E4 trainer like malvia.
Even if Malva could defeat Serena, I would still like to see Malva being impressed at Serena determination to keep going despite the odds against her or even having her dealing with one of the Scientists, than having her dealing with the Team Flare grunts and their Pokemons who didn't flinch at all by her combined Pokemon attacks until Steven took care of everything. At the time, I was just annoyed at the producers on how they make Serena's unsatisfying outcomes like a trend for her.

Jeal

Even if Malva could defeat Serena, I would still like to see Malva being impressed at Serena determination to keep going despite the odds against her or even having her dealing with one of the Scientists, than having her dealing with the Team Flare grunts and their Pokemons who didn't flinch at all by her combined Pokemon attacks until Steven took care of everything. At the time, I was just annoyed at the producers on how they make Serena's unsatisfying outcomes like a trend for her.
For me, Serena battling one of the scientists would be the ideal. She should start losing, and so win by strategy.

04n70n10

Lysandre needed no help. His Mega Gyarados came close to singlehandedly defeating everyone there. Without Malva,Ash and Alain may very well have lost.
I mean, It's not really a matter of raw power (writers can do with Mega Gyarados whatever they want, strong, normal, in line with the others, etc.) but a matter of (I don't know better words) "opportunity" with Malva. A good missed opportunity. And yes, more difficult for Ash and Alain to win this battle, so a more interesting battle in my book, an elite4 along with a Boss vs the twerps it's not something you see very often. Alain defeated Malva some time before, so this "hypotetical" battle would be sufficiently "open".

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Malva from Pokemon Adventures made a lot more sense. She wasn't just loyal to Lysandre but it's even hinted she had unrequited love for the man or at least just really cares about his well-being because Malva in Pokemon Adventures is completely loyal to Lysandre, she listens to every word he says and Lysandre does have a lot of faith in her. Just how much faith does he have in her? He wants her to be the one to capture Yveltal, the Legendary Pokemon of Death. And like any E4 members, she's definitely one of the more OP trainers. However what really establishes to how much Malva is loyal to Lysandre is that Malva tries to save Lysandre from an very ironic fate and fails.

Whereas in the anime, I think part of the reason they made Malva to switch sides is simply to speed up the Team Flare plot, not drag it out, from the anime crew's POV, any longer because a 1 v 3 battle would be faster then a 2 v 2 battle on limited space in the skyscraper. I say this because the anime crew has mentioned how long these types of episodes take and apparently liked the freedom of SM's format.

On a side note, I just realize the Adventures manga could've been an excuse to put Lysandre and Malva in the Waifu/Husbando face-off lol if I had thought that earlier.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
(2 mons vs 2 high leveled FULL teams........................)

Alain didn't use his full team at all (in fact this exact plot point was the spawning point for another thread last year about whether or not they were even his or Flare's mons)

maybe it could come down to an audience vote

Not sure what you mean because in the TF arc they actually glorified Serena by showing her fighting from the helicopter and showing Mairin admiring her