• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

why did the pokemon names change from jap. to engl.?

Aviano

I dropped my balls
No one has mentioned the japanese names which sound horrible in English but are probally alot more impressive in japanese.

Names like Freezer and Booburn.

shaoon

Not normal
I admit some of the japanese names are cool, but over all I like when they actually make somewhat sense

Arceu$_EX

The Antagoni$t
because i would rather say infernape than Goukazaru and i more than sure those little kids that play do to

pokefantravis

The Poke-Pimp
Hmm, Localization thing I guess.
But I do know that the jap names for the elemental bird trio are Freezer, Thunder, and Fire, I mean, those are the most unimaginative pokemon names ever, I mean Freezer? Come on!

Not quite. Game Freak has no hand in the international localization, or in anything besides developing the game, for that matter.

*claps for you* congrats you just corrected a complete bull ****ed answer.

thank you for wasting your own time.

we both win one post count.
:XP

Rex Kamex

Arceu$_EX said:
because i would rather say infernape than Goukazaru and i more than sure those little kids that play do to

"Goukazaru" doesn't seem as awkward of a name to me as some of the other Japanese names.

As for the whole "kids having trouble pronouncing Pokemon names", there are kids, and people in general, who have different pronunciations for some of the American names.

And people could, among many things, watch the TV show to know what Pokemon's names sound like. Although "Fushigidane" has 11 characters, so they couldn't have a 10-character maximum limit.

Hmm, Localization thing I guess.
But I do know that the jap names for the elemental bird trio are Freezer, Thunder, and Fire, I mean, those are the most unimaginative pokemon names ever, I mean Freezer? Come on!

But we've got Ditto, Muk, Jynx, Electrode, Abra, Kadabra, Alakazam, MR. FREAKING MIME, Pinsir, Gastly, Haunter, Drowsee, Hypno, Gloom...

So it goes both ways.

STICKTOPIA

b/c we speak english wat else?

I don't care either way because I've got the the Japanese versions of Green, Silver, Platinum, HeartGold and SoulSilver. I will admit though that some of the names are a bit odd, ex. *checks Heartgold* Supiaa-spear-beedriil, Sandopan-sandpan-sandslash, Gaadi-Gaurdy-growlithe, and uindi-windy-Arcanine just name a few. Some are just lame (to me). It goes the same way with the badges: Gray, Blue, Orange, Rainbow, Pink, Gold, Crimson, Green, Wing, Insect, Regular, Phantom, Shock, Steel, Ice, Rising- Boulder, Cascade, Thrunder, Rainbow, Soul, Marsh, Volcano, Earth, Zephyr, Hive, Plain, Fog, Storm, Mineral, Glacier, Rising.

randomspot555

"Goukazaru" doesn't seem as awkward of a name to me as some of the other Japanese names.

A lot of the Gen I/II are just dumb. Sleep? Blacky?

Not that English names are always awesome either (mankey is literally one letter difference than monkey)

As for the whole "kids having trouble pronouncing Pokemon names", there are kids, and people in general, who have different pronunciations for some of the American names.

And people could, among many things, watch the TV show to know what Pokemon's names sound like. Although "Fushigidane" has 11 characters, so they couldn't have a 10-character maximum limit.

The anime doesn't always get it right (though 90+%). The console games are a much better source for proper pronunciation.

But we've got Ditto, Muk, Jynx, Electrode, Abra, Kadabra, Alakazam, MR. FREAKING MIME, Pinsir, Gastly, Haunter, Drowsee, Hypno, Gloom...

Mr. Freakin Mime was named before genders were introduced.

Rex Kamex

A lot of the Gen I/II are just dumb. Sleep? Blacky?

Not that English names are always awesome either (mankey is literally one letter difference than monkey)

I'm not doubting that. That's why I said that the name thing goes both ways.

ex. Sentret and Furret being called "Otachi" and "Ootachi."

The anime doesn't always get it right (though 90+%). The console games are a much better source for proper pronunciation.

Then that's another source to use.

Mr. Freakin Mime was named before genders were introduced.

I know, but the idea of it being called "Mr. Anything" was the point I was trying to make. The gender thing does make it more awkward, but I can't blame NoA for that because they didn't know Mr. Mime would start getting known genders.

Last edited:

Firebrand

Indomitable
because flareon sounds really stupid as Booster, and Espeon is just lame as Efifi.

pokefantravis

The Poke-Pimp