1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Why did the writers gave Serena so little focus compared to May and Dawn?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Jeal, May 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattySadler

MattySadler Well-Known Member

Your opinion if you enjoyed Serena.

2. Mrs. Oreo

Mrs. Oreo Banned

Well I can understand this viewpoint, but I think I still would've preferred if Serena had found her true calling much sooner cuz at least then we might've seen a longer Showcase arc during the Kalos saga and better rival development to go with that.

3. Power Up

Power Up ...

It saddens me that Epiocity and Heekful are the only other people who are remotely defending Serena

I for one, loved Serena even before the crush was even touched upon. And I can tell you that all the true AmourShippers care about Serena's development if not more than the ship.

If they don't, they aren't true AmourShippers but bandwagoners that ruin the ship and give it such a bad rep

Serena has been called one of the most developed characters in the anime. And while they should have developed Serena much more in the beginning, she was still very developed

4. U.N. Owen

U.N. Owen In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

No true scotsman much? Who gave you authority to decide who is a true shipper or not?

Oh she was developed, but didn't have enough depth to her. Here is the key thing about searching for goals and hobbies in fiction, characters tend to do multiple unrelated things and then choose. What did her first 40 episodes say about her?

5. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

And that was exactly what she did???

She tried rhyhorn racing, pokepuff contests, pokevision and pokemon battles.

That she was a shy, indecisive young lady who was tired of her mother's training sessions and hoped to find something else to do that wasn't decided by her mother, but by herself.

Idk about you but i find that deep for a show that has a character whose goal is to create a huge bubble.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  6. Everything12

Everything12 Wishy-Washy Trainer

We both know its not just to create a bubble its to create a bubble to travel under the sea to see all the wonders down their which shows us how much she likes the sea and the Pokemon in it.

7. satopi

satopi SM Ash is best Ash! All hail Champion Ash!

That bubble is killer especially once Popplio evolves.

8. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

Which she could do using diving equipment? Sorry, but i find that barely any deeper.

9. U.N. Owen

U.N. Owen In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

It's deeper because its in the ocean XD

10. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

I'll admit, this pun was amazing.

11. MattySadler

MattySadler Well-Known Member

Not going to get at anyone for having an opinion different to mine, but you must be able to see if only the vast minority are defending a character, surely that must say something about said character?

12. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

That's a fallacious argument, also known as argumentum ad populum (i hate saying latin words, it sounds so unnecessary, but in this case, i can't find a better way to express it).

IMO, there is no way of knowing who is the majority and who is the minority hearing just a few opinions in a place that represents only a small percentage of the fanbase.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  13. satopi

satopi SM Ash is best Ash! All hail Champion Ash!

It doesn't matter which is the majority or minority. Opinions are opinions and they differ from every person. Someone can like a character yet point out his/her flaws and mistakes just as easily as someone who dislikes a character can point out his/her shining moments and good aspects.

Serena is a controversial character so opinions will polarize.

14. DarkLeviathan

DarkLeviathan Banned

By her fans. Those of us with no bias don't pretend that this was the case, however.

15. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

You do know the definition of bias, right?
    Just because someone likes her doesn't mean that person is being biased and just because someone opposes her doesn't mean that person isn't.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  16. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Am I supposed to laugh?"

She may be most developed.

But it doesn't mean said development was good most of the time.

17. Mr. Guy

Mr. Guy Banned

This, it's not that Serena isn't developed, it's that most of her development was poorly executed.

18. Xenon Blue

Xenon Blue No Hard Feelings

Serena's development has been all over the place for the most part. The execution was a mess and it seemed as if the writers didn't really know what they wanted to do with this character. Of course plans change and not everything goes smoothly, but that doesn't excuse her from the fact that her start was extremely slow. Granted characters in this anime generally all have sub-par execution and development, which is completely understandable considering the target audience. I would still put May/Dawn's development over Serena's everyday. If you think Serena had good development, then you do you. Good development is sort of subjective to begin with.

19. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Rei Claus

I'm just happy she at least got some development, even if it was poorly executed.

20. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Am I supposed to laugh?"

At least I was satisfied that she convinced her mom to do something else.

The problem was what she chose, though...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.