• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why did the writers gave Serena so little focus compared to May and Dawn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
By her fans. Those of us with no bias don't pretend that this was the case, however.

Even tho I don't think she was the most developed character in the show in general, I can at least understand why some viewers think she was at the top of the list since she started off as inexperienced and eventually ended up with substantial growth.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
It's more like the handling of what she chose; but I wished that she chose a more battle focused goal.

The thing with her mom was great for her character though.

I don't even care that it wasn't battle focused but she seriously needed to improve her variety in the Performances. So did everyone else except Jessie, who's thing has always been oddball creativity.

DatsRight

She just had to have fallibility. The recurring habit of getting constantly shilled by the narrative and winning everything she was involved in without having to remotely boost or alter her skills throughout the series got on my nerves, be it disconnected from character development or not. Either way it made her really boring not having to improve from the basics.

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
It doesn't help the effort she does before performances was...

"Oh my gosh, I don't have the best dress yet!"

And when she was shown practicing, it was redundant moves. When Eevee evolved, it pretty much became a pro working together with others when it became a Sylveon, and the others adjusted very well to it in a flash. Zero instances of showing them practicing (which was insulting seeing as Ash was shown practicing with his lover ninja frog plenty of times...even if he hardly practiced with the rest of the team).

Last edited:

DatsRight

It doesn't help the effort she does before performances was...

"Oh my gosh, I don't have the best dress yet!"

And when she was shown practicing, it was redundant moves. When Eevee evolved, it pretty much became a pro working together with others when it became a Sylveon, and the others adjusted very well to it in a flash. Zero instances of showing them practicing (which was insulting seeing as Ash was shown practicing with his lover ninja frog plenty of times...even if he hardly practiced with the rest of the team).

The problem is besides a few instances, training tends to be rather dull and without substance in the anime, they prefer deus ex machina moments where the character boosts at just the right time. Otherwise training is often just a five second token moment of the Pokemon spamming moves in the air to say 'they did sort of work a bit for it'. Rockruff's episode is one of the most recent attempts to subvert it in some entertaining way.

Even besides that Serena didn't feel challenged, or when it was her token time to NOT clean house for a change, they'd dumb down the blow, eg. calling off a battle before she officially lost or got beat down, or having her trip in a showcase instead of being outperformed. Along with the fact her strategy rarely altered or boosted in anything, it felt like Serena could have sat on her *** drinking a soda the whole time and she still would have had the same success rate. Since her work level was often only a cut above that it wasn't exactly entertaining to watch either way.

I stand by the theory that someone on the creative staff thought it was too 'mean' for the cute girl's team to get their *** beat on occasion.

Last edited:

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
Something that kinda bothered me about Serena was her Pokemon (although this isn't really her fault it's the writers)

I thought their evolutions were handled terrible. Braxien spent about 63 episodes as it's pre evolution and in those 63 episodes did about 4 battles. So it was kinda weird when she battled Aria and it evolved out of nowhere. Espically when we've had characters who's Pokemon have been in way more battles than that and still never evolved (May's Eevee and Munchlax Iris' Axew and Dawns Bunneary). Never really was a fan of Eevee's evolution story either. I liked the stage fright aspect of her character but once she evolved (again out of nowhere) the plot was earsed and not a mention of it again. I realize evolving gave her more confidence but to have the storyline never mentioned again made it meh to me. It was just like "She evolved stage fright fixed and shyness fixed!"

She also had the most forgettable Pokemon to me personality wise

DatsRight

Not to mention Braixen suddenly having a decent skill and battle style out of nowhere in Serena's last episode and being able to hold up against Ash's Pikachu. Oh, but again, they call it off before Serena's team start losing too bad and while she still has the upper hand, heaven forbid she look overpowered by the longest running Pokemon in the series. :p

Yeah the end of Sylveon's character arc, considering how much they put into Eevee, was very disappointing. I hate when they take character development to the point they abolish all flaws in the character. That's not development, that's dumbing down, and likely the reason we barely even saw Sylveon afterwards, since she'd ironically become the blandest of the team. You can make a character seem fully developed without taking out all their flaws and foibles and just about anything fun about them, but then again look at what the same series did to Ash.

Last edited:

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
Not to mention Braixen suddenly having a decent skill and battle style out of nowhere in Serena's last episode and being able to hold up against Ash's Pikachu. Oh, but again, they call it off before Serena's team start losing too bad and while she still has the upper hand, heaven forbid she look overpowered by the longest running Pokemon in the series. :p

Yeah the end of Sylveon's character arc, considering how much they put into Eevee, was very disappointing. I hate when they take character development to the point they abolish all flaws in the character. That's not development, that's dumbing down, and likely the reason we barely even saw Sylveon afterwards, since she'd ironically become the blandest of the team. You can make a character seem fully developed without taking out all their flaws and foibles and just about anything fun about them, but then again look at what the same series did to Ash.

Agreed with everything, although I found Pancham the blandest out of the three considering he had nothing truly memorable about him. Also I'm kinda glad they called off the battle with Pikachu because if she would of won against him that would of been the ultimate slap in the face (considering fans still to this day discuss pikachu losing to snivy). It's one thing if Braxien would of won against talonflame or something but magically having the skill to beat pikachu is pushing it. Kinda makes me happy Iris didn't return, because the cringe of her losing to Serena would of been to hard. Sylveon's stage fright was a good thought in general, but not focusing on it enough and hoping evolution would fix it just seems lazy imo

DatsRight

I dunno Pancham at least had some degree of personality compared to Sylveon post evolution, even if he is mostly known for that overused gag with the brat rivalry with Chespin, it is at least SOMETHING. Also prior to Braixen's last battle, he probably had the nearest to developed battles out of the three (if mostly ones without Serena's commanding).

No true scotsman much? Who gave you authority to decide who is a true shipper or not?

Oh she was developed, but didn't have enough depth to her. Here is the key thing about searching for goals and hobbies in fiction, characters tend to do multiple unrelated things and then choose. What did her first 40 episodes say about her?

And you cry foul play when people only like Serena for her ship? Isn't that what everyone is saying? AmourShipping ruined Serena's character!!! So bland, the same thing over and over again.

Who gave you the authority to say that a ship ruined someone's character? Who is anyone to say that? Just because 5 people on a random site says it, does not make it true.

No what bother me is that everyone here gangs up on any opposing discussion if it doesn't agree with their opinion.

Every single damn debate is so skewed to one side its hilariously funny

I gave an extremist view. A view that everyone here seems to want. If you liked her Serena only for AmourShipping, your bad, or any other of the rehashed statements that are so gloriously worked into every discussion is

I readily admit that she deserved and needed severe development in early stages of the anime. If they hadn't shafted her in the beginning, she would have been fine.

Not going to get at anyone for having an opinion different to mine, but you must be able to see if only the vast minority are defending a character, surely that must say something about said character?

Ha

Ha

Ha

No matter how many people won't admit it, Serebii is in the minority. The XYers left and now Serebii is filled with with threads complaining about Serena and XYZ and satopi can say all he wants about how there is actual discussion when XY/XYZ is worked into every single discussion.

Look into every page. None of you actually disagree much lol.

It doesn't say anything when no one actually offers opposing viewpoints because the opposing viewpoints are crushed due to the sheer fact that they are simply outnumbered.

Last edited:

DatsRight

No matter how many people won't admit it, Serebii is in the minority. The XYers left and now Serebii is filled with with threads complaining about Serena and XYZ and satopi can say all he wants about how there is actual discussion when XY/XYZ is worked into every single discussion.

Look into every page. None of you actually disagree much lol.

It doesn't say anything when no one actually offers opposing viewpoints because the opposing viewpoints are crushed due to the sheer fact that they are simply outnumbered.

Because people don't mock BW for Iris or reseting Ash nearly every single discussion. Or SM's weird art style and battle-light slice of life setup. Or OS's 'pity badges' and Misty's similar underutilisation. Or Johto's excess filler. It's only XY that gets picked on.

Last edited:

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
There are hardly any discussions about OS's pity badges, Misty or Johto. And as a matter of fact, it does seem that indeed XY seems to get picked on since there are as many, if not more topics about XY than SM. Even BW, a vastly disliked series for various reasons did not have these many threads after it finished.

And personally us XY fans don't care if people here don't like the series, and critique it for its flaws. But there is a point where it becomes ridiculous, which is what it has become now. It's been 8 months since the series ended, and yet people seem to keep bringing up the same flaws over and over again like as if it wasn't understood the first time. And furthermore, even in topics about SM, for some reason people have to bring up XY even if there's no relation and reason at all.

Last edited:

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Those things aren't worked into every discussion
Like when Pikachu lost against a Lv 5 Snivy.
Like when Dawn overshadowed Ash's journey.
Like Misty's only notable feat is competing in the Whirl Cup aside from playing mommy to Togepi.
Like every Pokémon having the higher ground than Torterra.
Like Ash forgetting how to catch a Pokémon
Like Pikachu winning against Geodude with an Electric type move
Like Brock blending in the background
Like Team Rocket appearing almost every episode in DP
Like May getting cheap wins most of the time
Like what happened to that Pierce guy?
Like Ambipom getting traded and left for a random trainer to compete in a ping pong tournament
Like Chikorita being the only one to evolve on Ash's team in Johto
Like Axew getting lost
Like Thunder Armor

Each saga gets its fair share of "picking on".

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Like when Pikachu lost against a Lv 5 Snivy.
Like when Dawn overshadowed Ash's journey.
Like Misty's only notable feat is competing in the Whirl Cup aside from playing mommy to Togepi.
Like every Pokémon having the higher ground than Torterra.
Like Ash forgetting how to catch a Pokémon
Like Pikachu winning against Geodude with an Electric type move
Like Brock blending in the background
Like Team Rocket appearing almost every episode in DP
Like May getting cheap wins most of the time
Like what happened to that Pierce guy?
Like Ambipom getting traded and left for a random trainer to compete in a ping pong tournament
Like Chikorita being the only one to evolve on Ash's team in Johto
Like Axew getting lost
Like Thunder Armor

Each saga gets its fair share of "picking on".

There's a difference between criticism and being picked on. The issues you listed were criticised a couple of times, and have never been talked about since (other than maybe Pikachu losing to a lvl 5 Snivy). Do you honestly see these issues being brought up regularly in topics these days? In XY's case, there was fair criticism for the first couple of months for whatever flaws it had, but the fact that XY is brought in almost every discussion week in week out even after it ended 8 months ago, as well as being raised in SM topics with which XY has no relation to, it definitely is picked on.

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Leeeeeeeeeeeet's just agree Serena's goal was forced to be created instead of actually using an in-game event for the female lead to focus on.

....Though it would have helped a LOT if she hadn't delayed her decision time.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Sadly XY didn't have any in game event like RS and DP did with contests. There was sky battles, but I don't think they would have been so interesting to watch since it would have been another battle related goal, and there's no sense of progress with such a goal.

I only agree that the first 40 episodes could have been utilised better for Serena. But since from the time she started her goal, the series only had 90 episodes more from then, so in that regard, I still think given the limited time allocated, her development was still done very well.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
There's a difference between criticism and being picked on. The issues you listed were criticised a couple of times, and have never been talked about since (other than maybe Pikachu losing to a lvl 5 Snivy). Do you honestly see these issues being brought up regularly in topics these days? In XY's case, there was fair criticism for the first couple of months for whatever flaws it had, but the fact that XY is brought in almost every discussion week in week out even after it ended 8 months ago, as well as being raised in SM topics with which XY has no relation to, it definitely is picked on.

Considering XYZ JUST ended less than 9 months ago (6 in the Dub) are you really that shocked it's being talked about? Sorry that your favourite poke girl is receiving a bit of criticism (most have valid points anyway) but imagine how fans feel when Iris is attacked for a four letter catchphrase or when Misty is labeled "useless" and her being Togepi's mother brought up. Or Dawn's "cheap" win against May? These are still brought up to this day. Every Poke Girls and saga has their complaints valid or not and XYZ/Serena is no exception. I guarantee after SM is done XYZ won't be mentioned that much

Status
Not open for further replies.