• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why did the writers gave Serena so little focus compared to May and Dawn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snorlax512

Take away her crush on Ash, and what personality does Serena have? A nice, quiet girl who likes cooking, dressing up like a princess and gets jealous over a guy. Literally ticks every stereotype of a girly girl, how interesting and unique.

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
Take away her crush on Ash, and what personality does Serena have? A nice, quiet girl who likes cooking, dressing up like a princess and gets jealous over a guy. Literally ticks every stereotype of a girly girl, how interesting and unique.
You clearly didn't pay much attention to Serena then or just chose not to. :rolleyes:

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
You clearly didn't pay much attention to Serena then or just chose not to. :rolleyes:

He is ebng sarcastoic bro, its so painfully obviosu he is.

And you should say taht to 99% of Serena's "fans" AKA the bunch iny interested in Amourshipping

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia

Whats even sadder is she didnt even cook SHE BAKED. We finally get a poke girl who makes food for the gang and she can only bake... even her mother was surprised by the end of XYZ that she can cook... so this tells me she just only found out how to cook (probably from Clemont) and only knew how to bake this whole time...

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Whats even sadder is she didnt even cook SHE BAKED. We finally get a poke girl who makes food for the gang and she can only bake... even her mother was surprised by the end of XYZ that she can cook... so this tells me she just only found out how to cook (probably from Clemont) and only knew how to bake this whole time...

Wow seriously amongst the whole lot of criticisms, you find her lack of cooking to be an issue? It's not like the group relied on her for food since Clemont knew how to cook.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
Wow seriously amongst the whole lot of criticisms, you find her lack of cooking to be an issue? It's not like the group relied on her for food since Clemont knew how to cook.

It's not that she cant cook thats the problem its that she only knows how to bak..nvm figure it out

Mr. Guy

Banned

She doesn't even have that. Take away the crush on Ash, and she's just a rehash of Dawn and May.

She doesn't have a single character trait that's unique from the other main girls.

DatsRight

Amusingly May even tottered around the two extremes of action girl and Ash's damsel in distress way more than Serena did. :p

I stand by the theory that the writers were just getting tired of the old formula by this point, hence Serena lacking substance in a lot of the standard Pokegirl elements.

Last edited:

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Serena seems more like a girl that most young girls her age and up can put themselves into. She doesn't know what she wants to do, she has a crush on a guy that doesn't notice her and is struggling to come to terms with it, she has a strained relationship with her mother, and she left home without a plan quite hastily, only preserving a glimpse idea of meeting someone she hasn't seen in years to thank him for helping her. I personally see Serena as rather boring (typical girly girl who can be sweet and helpful) when she's around her group (or whatever girl bond she latches onto automatic friendship) but when her buttons are pushed and she's forced to get a reality check like trying to adapt to camping out, being alone in the forest for the first time or losing her first Performance, her character catches my interest. I think Serena works quite well when she pushed to her limit and given some tough love which will greatly benefit her in Hoenn and separating herself from Ash & her comfort level (doing the same Performance).

Mrs. Oreo

Banned

I personally would've liked if her baking had been a bigger part of her character, tho I didn't mind too much that she mostly did that offscreen. But I think that she would've been more suitable as the Kalos group's cook however since she seemed to have slightly more culinary experience than Clemont did. ^^

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
It's not that she cant cook thats the problem its that she only knows how to bak..nvm figure it out

Why is that a problem? I have a little sister who's a teenager and she only knows how to bake not cook. I feel like most teenage girls learn how to bake before they cook.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
Why is that a problem? I have a little sister who's a teenager and she only knows how to bake not cook. I feel like most teenage girls learn how to bake before they cook.

Because it's as if they tried to make her a walking stereotype on how are a girl should be... super feminine, follows a boy around, competes in pageants loves to shop and dress up... oh and only knows how to make macrons and cupcakes. One of my main problems was XYZ making Serena completely bland in terms of personality because all we got from her is "she's super girly xD". Which there's nothing wrong if done right. For example Dawn was a super feminine character but knew how to be strong and independent when the time came. So it's not the baking per se it's just an attribute to my problems with her

Mr. Guy

Banned
Even Serena's chosen profession shows this.

Contests had a decent balance of both male and female coordinators. Even if Ash himself and Zoey were the most traditionally "masculine" characters to compete in them, there were still plenty of males participating.

Whereas showcases were explicitly for girls only.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Even Serena's chosen profession shows this.

Contests had a decent balance of both male and female coordinators. Even if Ash himself and Zoey were the most traditionally "masculine" characters to compete in them, there were still plenty of males participating.

Whereas showcases were explicitly for girls only.

They really shouldn't have made it gender exclusive but then again Ash would just participate and steal her thunder yet again with the way he was being treated in XY.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
I think he did two, Jubilife and Wallace Cup

(also did unofficial Terracotta contest)

Mr. Guy

Banned
Yeah, Ash tied with May in the unofficial Terracota contest, and he was Top 8 in both the Jublife Contest and the Wallace Cup.

So even if it's not his main goal, Ash does have talent as a coordinator.

Status
Not open for further replies.