• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why did the writers gave Serena so little focus compared to May and Dawn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattySadler

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Or you could look at the flip side and say that if she had gotten her goal right away like every other Pokegirl, her crush would have been even MORE pronounced since that would be the only thing to truly set her apart from those who came before...just a thought.

Well I can understand this viewpoint, but I think I still would've preferred if Serena had found her true calling much sooner cuz at least then we might've seen a longer Showcase arc during the Kalos saga and better rival development to go with that.

It saddens me that Epiocity and Heekful are the only other people who are remotely defending Serena

I for one, loved Serena even before the crush was even touched upon. And I can tell you that all the true AmourShippers care about Serena's development if not more than the ship.

If they don't, they aren't true AmourShippers but bandwagoners that ruin the ship and give it such a bad rep

Serena has been called one of the most developed characters in the anime. And while they should have developed Serena much more in the beginning, she was still very developed

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
It saddens me that Epiocity and Heekful are the only other people who are remotely defending Serena

I for one, loved Serena even before the crush was even touched upon. And I can tell you that all the true AmourShippers care about Serena's development if not more than the ship.

If they don't, they aren't true AmourShippers but bandwagoners that ruin the ship and give it such a bad rep

No true scotsman much? Who gave you authority to decide who is a true shipper or not?

Serena has been called one of the most developed characters in the anime. And while they should have developed Serena much more in the beginning, she was still very developed

Oh she was developed, but didn't have enough depth to her. Here is the key thing about searching for goals and hobbies in fiction, characters tend to do multiple unrelated things and then choose. What did her first 40 episodes say about her?

Xuxuba

Oh she was developed, but didn't have enough depth to her. Here is the key thing about searching for goals and hobbies in fiction, characters tend to do multiple unrelated things and then choose.

And that was exactly what she did???

She tried rhyhorn racing, pokepuff contests, pokevision and pokemon battles.

What did her first 40 episodes say about her?
That she was a shy, indecisive young lady who was tired of her mother's training sessions and hoped to find something else to do that wasn't decided by her mother, but by herself.

Idk about you but i find that deep for a show that has a character whose goal is to create a huge bubble.

Last edited:

Everything12

We both know its not just to create a bubble its to create a bubble to travel under the sea to see all the wonders down their which shows us how much she likes the sea and the Pokemon in it.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
We both know its not just to create a bubble its to create a bubble to travel under the sea to see all the wonders down their which shows us how much she likes the sea and the Pokemon in it.
That bubble is killer especially once Popplio evolves.

Xuxuba

Which she could do using diving equipment? Sorry, but i find that barely any deeper.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Which she could do using diving equipment? Sorry, but i find that barely any deeper.

It's deeper because its in the ocean XD

MattySadler

Not going to get at anyone for having an opinion different to mine, but you must be able to see if only the vast minority are defending a character, surely that must say something about said character?

Xuxuba

Not going to get at anyone for having an opinion different to mine, but you must be able to see if only the vast minority are defending a character, surely that must say something about said character?

That's a fallacious argument, also known as argumentum ad populum (i hate saying latin words, it sounds so unnecessary, but in this case, i can't find a better way to express it).

IMO, there is no way of knowing who is the majority and who is the minority hearing just a few opinions in a place that represents only a small percentage of the fanbase.

Last edited:

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
That's a fallacious argument, also known as argumentum ad populum (i hate saying latin words, it sounds so unnecessary, but in this case, i can't find a better way to express it).

IMO, there is no way of knowing who is the majority and who is the minority hearing just a few opinions in a place that represents only a small percentage of the fanbase.
It doesn't matter which is the majority or minority. Opinions are opinions and they differ from every person. Someone can like a character yet point out his/her flaws and mistakes just as easily as someone who dislikes a character can point out his/her shining moments and good aspects.

Serena is a controversial character so opinions will polarize.

Xuxuba

By her fans. Those of us with no bias don't pretend that this was the case, however.

You do know the definition of bias, right?
Just because someone likes her doesn't mean that person is being biased and just because someone opposes her doesn't mean that person isn't.

Last edited:

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
Serena's development has been all over the place for the most part. The execution was a mess and it seemed as if the writers didn't really know what they wanted to do with this character. Of course plans change and not everything goes smoothly, but that doesn't excuse her from the fact that her start was extremely slow. Granted characters in this anime generally all have sub-par execution and development, which is completely understandable considering the target audience. I would still put May/Dawn's development over Serena's everyday. If you think Serena had good development, then you do you. Good development is sort of subjective to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.