• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why did the writers gave Serena so little focus compared to May and Dawn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
There's a difference between criticism and being picked on. The issues you listed were criticised a couple of times, and have never been talked about since (other than maybe Pikachu losing to a lvl 5 Snivy). Do you honestly see these issues being brought up regularly in topics these days? In XY's case, there was fair criticism for the first couple of months for whatever flaws it had, but the fact that XY is brought in almost every discussion week in week out even after it ended 8 months ago, as well as being raised in SM topics with which XY has no relation to, it definitely is picked on.
The passing of time doesn't stop people from talking about previous sagas. XY(&Z) is no different. People still bash Iris and it's been 4 years. It's the newest saga to have complete so it's bound to be compared to & talked about. There's another active thread that talks about AG being the least controversial and DP lacking in humor and it's 7+ years for those sagas.

AdvancedGenGenesect

The question should actually be "Why did serena get the worst role and pokemon etc. compared to may and dawn" right now since if you plant a tree thats of no use and isnt pretty whats the point of growing it or watering it anyway.

now yes she got less treatment but actually if she was a coordinator rather than a performer she would've got more attention because rather than making the most beutiful performance and coordinations require combinations to master and alot of more skills
and serena couldve got episodes concerning her being a coordinator while taking the role as a performer literally made serenas opportunity for episodes like may and dawn got slim and it also doesnt help that people liked serenas goal the least.

Its also very clear that may changing from a person that doesnt care for pokemon and someone who doesnt like to be a trainer ata ll to a person who loves pokemon and gets a great fondness for pokemon coordination (much more interestingly than serena became fond of performing) was very well done and happened at the right time and not over 30 episodes into the show.

Serenas character was good but she was given a bad goal and not very interesting pokemon at the same time handled very badly in the beginning where she did nothing special made her really boring and drew me away from
x and y.

theres allot more but overall she was just treated horribly without a doubt.

I beg to differ about BW. That's by far the fan base's butt monkey over XY.

Tell me, do you see anyone talking about BW?

No?

Exactly, it is not worked into every single conversation. It might be the butt monkey(except here cause it's defenders are disturbingly vocal both in their defense of BW and hatred of AmourShipping), but it isn't talked into every convo.
Considering XYZ JUST ended less than 9 months ago (6 in the Dub) are you really that shocked it's being talked about? Sorry that your favourite poke girl is receiving a bit of criticism (most have valid points anyway) but imagine how fans feel when Iris is attacked for a four letter catchphrase or when Misty is labeled "useless" and her being Togepi's mother brought up. Or Dawn's "cheap" win against May? These are still brought up to this day. Every Poke Girls and saga has their complaints valid or not and XYZ/Serena is no exception. I guarantee after SM is done XYZ won't be mentioned that much

NONE. And I mean none of those things are talked about.

And sure, maybe they are valid. But you people are so far into criticizing AmourShipping that you absolutely refuse to listen to anything on the opposite side. And your " valid " points?

It's the same thing over and over. It's not a debate, it's not points. It a bunch of people taking turns talking about how bad and complicit Serena was made to be because of AmourShipping.

You could at least like, think of different things to criticize Amour maybe?

The passing of time doesn't stop people from talking about previous sagas. XY(&Z) is no different. People still bash Iris and it's been 4 years. It's the newest saga to have complete so it's bound to be compared to & talked about. There's another active thread that talks about AG being the least controversial and DP lacking in humor and it's 7+ years for those sagas.

Lol

That AG thread is pretty much a response to all the controversy surrounding XY/XYZ. And yet people still talk about the old series when it's an AG thread.

And don't give me the that bull about Iris bashing, there hasn't BEEN any bashing since all of you are so hellbent on defending BW and criticizing XY/XYZ

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
Tell me, do you see anyone talking about BW?

No?

Exactly, it is not worked into every single conversation. It might be the butt monkey(except here cause it's defenders are disturbingly vocal both in their defense of BW and hatred of AmourShipping), but it isn't talked into every convo.

NONE. And I mean none of those things are talked about.

And sure, maybe they are valid. But you people are so far into criticizing AmourShipping that you absolutely refuse to listen to anything on the opposite side. And your " valid " points?

It's the same thing over and over. It's not a debate, it's not points. It a bunch of people taking turns talking about how bad and complicit Serena was made to be because of AmourShipping.

You could at least like, think of different things to criticize Amour maybe?

Lol

That AG thread is pretty much a response to all the controversy surrounding XY/XYZ. And yet people still talk about the old series when it's an AG thread.

And don't give me the that bull about Iris bashing, there hasn't BEEN any bashing since all of you are so hellbent on defending BW and criticizing XY/XYZ

Okay I'm going to be honest, I thought XYZ was kinda boring and a snooze fest. It had its good and funny moments but overall I couldn't get into it. I also think Serena was a result of sloppy writing and once the writers realize that they tried to cover it up by focusing more on her "crush on Ash". Anyway you probably hate seeing your favourite saga bashed but it JUST ENDED less than a year ago. Of course it's still on people's minds. How are you gonna compare that to sagas that ended 5 plus years ago? And yes it is a friendly debate considering nobody explicitly says "My opinion is right and yours is wrong goodbye" typically we just give facts on why we thought Serena (or XYZ) was good/bad. If you think every "XY and Serena hater" are Best Wishes lovers you are mistaken because I've heard people say Pokemon hasn't been good since Diamond and Pearl sooo... Realise that Iris and Misty to and extent get a whole bunch of bashing (but again not as much as they originally did because remember THEIR SAGAS ENDED YEARS AGO) and most fans either ignore or defend their favourite character not get mad people share an opposite opinion

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Lol

That AG thread is pretty much a response to all the controversy surrounding XY/XYZ.
SM is the current controversial trend at the moment since it switched the format. What controversy did XY(&Z) conjure up from beneath the grave?

And yet people still talk about the old series when it's an AG thread.
They are talking about AG. And why is it bad to bring up the older/newer sagas? The main topic is about whether AG is the least controversial so that's inviting conversation for the other sagas to be discussed.

Point to any post I made that's defending BW in this thread. And yes, Iris is still bashed just as Serena is whenever someone mentions her. And how could there be people defending BW when you just said no one was bashing Iris?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.