1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Why did the writers remove Misty?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by pokelover, Sep 11, 2005.

?

How do you feel about the writers choice about removing Misty?

1. I LOVED that idea!

10.3%
  2. It was a smart choice.

18.7%
  3. I really don't care.

19.7%
  4. I'd still preffer Misty.

15.3%
  5. I WANT MISTY BACK!!!

36.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yamato-san

Yamato-san I own the 5th gen

As Gravy said, massive overstatement. You have any f***in' clue how little screentime Jupetta got compared to Kasumi. Apparently, you think appearing in about 250 episodes, 4.1 AG episodes (and getting major focus in said episodes.... the ".1" is an estimate of her appearing at the very end of "Enishida and the Battle Frontier!!"), 5 movies, a brief appearance in the current opening theme, and starring in about half the Housou specials isn't enough.

The problem with being a Water Pokemon Master is that there's honestly not much you can do with it. All it is is a rip-off of Satoshi's goal, except specializing in one type (a type which, might I add, is the most numerous and most redundant of all Pokemon.... damned anime has to make almost every single one use Water Gun for their signature attack, doesn't it?).

Does she even say she'll be a "Water Pokemon Master" in the Japanese version? I got through watching Kantou in Japanese, and as far as I recall, in the scenes where Satoshi's stating that he's striving to be the world's best Pokemon Master and Takeshi's striving for world's best breeder, Kasumi says something about becoming the best bishoujo (that's worthy of an "LOL!") or something.

2. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

LMAO, are you serious? Wow, good luck Misty. You'll need it. :D

Does Misty really never mention about becoming a Water Pokemon Master in the Japanese version? I'm sure 4kids had to get that from somewhere, so she had to mention that at least once.

3. Jo-Jo

Jo-Jo blows stuff uhup

"Best bishoujo"? :D Hee! Cute. I wonder if that's in reaction to her sisters? Misty seems determined to beat them at everything, after all.

It's funny how often the writers drew attention to her looks. Ash gaping at her in The Ghost of Maiden's Peak, the whole Misty Mermaid thing, those guys in her first HoSo saying she was beautiful, etc.

4. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

Well she is fairly attractive looking when the writers/animators want her to be. She's still nothing compared to her sisters or May though, since most of the time she's rather "mehish" looking.

5. Jo-Jo

Jo-Jo blows stuff uhup

That's because she's a tomboy. She dresses down, most of the time. She can be very pretty when she makes the effort, though. Kind of a Cinderella thing.

6. AdvancedK9

AdvancedK9 SHOOP DA WOOP!!!

As Long As;theres Advanceshipping,she Doesnt Pull Brocks Ear, Shes Fine But I Hate Her Because,shes So Stupid That She Doesnt Realiseash Is Youger Than Her And When Theres A.s. Shell Cry Home,and She Chose The Worst Dream Ever!my Favorite Pokemon May Be Water But I Dont Use Pure Water!
    Before May I Barely Watched Pokemon But The Advance Season Got Me By The Advanceshipping So Now I Am A.s. Obese And I Super Duperly Hate Misty

7. High Commander Solomon

High Commander Solomon This is MADNESS!

I understand you have to have a very good arm to "trow" something to hell. By the way, you're supposed to capitalize only the first word of a sentence. That and your grammar is awful. Don't get me started on the utter lack of logic in that argument, either.

By the way, I had a dream last night where my kid sister died, so that was probably worse. Please learn to spell. I'm not usually a "grammar nazi," but that was incredibly awful, I'm sorry.

8. PDL

PDL disenchanted

is there a filter in the fourms that uncapitalizes words that are in all caps?

if there is, I wouldn't be surprized at all if it was supposed to be in all-caps...

9. Phreack

Phreack ph334r me!...Please?

Yeah I hate those who spell like that.

On-topic I really doubt misty will return as a regular but at least she appears from time to time :') May isn't competitive enough to get what she wants but misty was ;)

10. Heracross

Heracross Custom User Title

Yeah, that's what it was. :/ Lol at his attempt to communicate.

11. Atoyont

Atoyont Brains for brawn

HCS, Nazi is capitalized. Funny thing is, you were trying to correct MayAsh.

12. I don't really care. :-/

13. High Commander Solomon

High Commander Solomon This is MADNESS!

I've seen it without the capitals where there's no reference to actual Nazis. It's not as big a deal as twenty or thirty such errors in one post.

14. Yamato-san

Yamato-san I own the 5th gen

And that's one of the reasons I say gym leaders shouldn't be in the main cast. The anime ends up completely ruining the characters from the game in order to have their own, original travelling-group personas while using an avatar everyone's accustomed to. In Kasumi's case, she's known in the games for being a tomboy, but the anime constantly trying to have her be a pretty girl who's into dolls and babying Pokemon completely contradicts that aspect of her.

15. Aquatic_mew

Aquatic_mew Guest

Lol,I haven't watched Pokemon in a LONG time,seriously...
    But when I did watch it,back in 2004.
    I did like Misty being in the Anime series.
    May just bore me for some reason...
    Probably why I'm not watching it anymore.
    Pokemon was more popular when Misty was around,IMO.

16. Judai Yuki

Judai Yuki Banned

Because we have a better hotter character.^_^

17. Jo-Jo

Jo-Jo blows stuff uhup

But Anime!Misty was a tomboy. She was athletic, spunky, didn't spend time on a day-to-day basis fussing about her looks, and was considered 'one of the guys' to the extent that Ash was surprised she could "look like a girl" when he saw her in a swimming costume.

Being a tomboy doesn't mean you have a be a manly butch type. Giving Misty a girlier side gave her character some depth. I don't see what's wrong with evolving a character beyond their game counterpart; surely nobody thinks that the game characters are well-developed? They only get about five lines each! Besides, I remember Misty being a bit of a flirt in the games - didn't she use the word "cutie" in one version? If anything she's more of a tomboy in the show.

18. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

That's only because Pokemon was a brand new fad when Misty was on the show. EVERYONE watched it. The entire concept of Pokemon was so new and exciting back then that you couldn't find one 8 year old who wasn't into it.

As with all shows their ratings decline overtime, and its no surprise that after the fad died, and after the crapfest that was Johto, that many people stopped watching the show.

It is a shame, because AG is fantastic and deserves just as good ratings as when the show first started. People don't know how many excellent episodes they're missing.

19. PDL

PDL disenchanted

technically, it still gets good ratings, otherwise it would have dropped of the air ages ago.

and I consider pokemon no longer being a fad a blessing because not only have the people who only liked it because it was "in" dropped out, leaving only the true fans, but the show can be more "risque" without irrate parent groups rasing a big stink about it.

20. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

Ah, so is that why we have a 10 year old female character with B cup breasts? Sweet!

j/k

I do wonder what parents might have said if May appeared way back in the 1st season, said she was 10, and looked like she does now. Funny to think about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.