1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Why didn't Best Wishes use Hilda?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Red and Blue, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

I've always wondered why Hilda(the female playable character in Black and White) wasn't the female companion in Unova. Why do you guys think Iris was chosen instead?

2. Murder Doll

Murder Doll Button Presser

It's often said that Best Wishes was supposed to be them trying to recreat OSs set up.

If such speculation is true then they just wanted to use two gym leaders.

3. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

Because BW was meant to be a throwback to Kanto, so his two travel companions were Gym leaders that resembled Misty and Brock.

Iris was designed to be a new take on Misty, just like Dawn and now Serena were designed after May.

4. fawfulmark2

fawfulmark2 Well-Known Member

1.A throwback to the old school partners being both Gym Leaders, as others stated.

2.The female compainion is generally the same agae as Ash, but the main characters of B&W were in their teens(and still were as shown by Bianca), so they wanted a smaller age gap. But then there was the whole older Cheren being in the same space as classic Bianca thing and it got all messy and yeah.

3. Because somewhere out there, there would be just that ONE person who would go off about her wearing Daisy Dukes. and factoring in stuff like the Dawn skirt edit thing on Learning League and how kneejerky the writers are about negative feedback post ESP(see: the recent dropped episode this week after the ship sinking in Korea), they could not afford that.

5. Navin

Navin MALDREAD

I dunno. Don't see why they couldn't make Hilda look a bit younger and have her act like Iris - in fact, she looks like someone who could have that type of personality anyway.

6. SerenaForTheWin

SerenaForTheWin Yusarin >_<

bcause hilda is made to be a character for the manga, well probably that might be the reason,

7. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Tsundere Girl

I doubt Hilda's age was the issue. They could have de aged her, I think they actually de aged Serena.
    I think it's either because they wanted BW to feel like a throw back to Kanto or because they knew that there would be sequels to the BW games and that the protagonists in the games would change.

8. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

I agree. While I don`t think the age difference is that big a deal, they could have easily made Hilda one or two years younger
    Are you talking about Pokémon Special? If so, why would it matter if Hilda is a character in that series? It didn`t stop May or Dawn from appearing in the anime, even though they have counterparts in Pokémon Special.

9. Hero of Truth

Hero of Truth Lillie Fan

That's impossible. The writers couldn't have known that sequels were going to be made for multiple reasons.

1) They were assuming that a third version would follow. Even Masuda at an interview (I think it was an Iwata asks on B2W2), stated that they originally were going for a third version, until they decided to break tradition with sequels, surprising everyone.

2) If a third version was going to be released, then Team Plasma would reappear around the Black Ruins episode, in their old outfits. The release of the sequels caused them to create Episode N.(We were still going to get a Team Plasma saga after the League but probably with Old Plasma, if a third version was released)

3) If the writers REALLY knew about sequels, then they must have been informed around the Black Ruins episode production. No earlier or later, for the reason above.

The only reason they decided not to include Hilda, is to make Unova feel like Kanto, a throwback to the original. Even the games reflect this (e.x. no old Pokemon pre- League) Pokemon Black and White felt like a restart to many people, a new fresh beginning.

10. Nacreous

Nacreous Leveling Up

Because she was white trash.

11. MidnightMelody

MidnightMelody Hopeful for Gen 8

You know it would of been possible to use both versions of Bianca and Cheren if they somehow worked a timeskip without having a full one. Like Ash and whoever he is with goes into the future but the time skip is only for the BW 2 arc. Idk I know he has went back in time so I think it could work..somehow.

What I wish they did was use the BW girl and the BW 2 girl over Iris but change half way. Like the first half would be the BW arc with the BW girl and the BW2 half would be with Mei. Again I think it might sound weird but it would work if done right. BW could of been one heck of a series if the whole Kanto vibe was not used and it was just a follow up to DP rather then trying to feel fresh. I can see why they did it but the way it was done could of been done much better I think.

12. Benny™

Benny™ Best Wishes Do Come True Under The Sun & Moon

Because DP and AG = 2 generations worth of playable female characters and they wanted to do something else.

pokemon fan 132 likes this.
  13. Kuvario

Kuvario I am who I am...because of them.

True, after all, May, Dawn, and Serena are from the games and so are compared for being the same. So Iris was another way to make BW different from DP and AG. Personally I think Hilda's design might have been too revealing, so that's why she wasn't used for BW, but this is Japan.

14. Platinum fan.

Platinum fan. RetiredPokemonMaster

Wow! I just mentioned this in another thread, and now here is a thread of it's own on Hilda in BW. Hilda could have been de-aged, that's not a issue really. Serena was de-aged in Kalos after all. They were going for that OS Kanto feel. Why? I don't know. I didn't mind Iris being used. I actually think it was the better choice in the matter. Not because I think Hilda's outfit is too revealing. When has that ever stopped the writers? No, I'm glad Hilda never had to put up with being Ash's lackey. Worse job to have in the anime besides being part of TR.

15. Blue Saturday

Blue Saturday too fly

Iris wasn't even a gym leader in the anime.

And yet another statement by you that holds no water. There is literally no info confirming that BW was a throwback to OS. Scott, you are not a writers nor prominent figure in Poke-matter, speak for no one but yourself and keep rumors that have no place in reality out of the fact-zone.

16. MidnightMelody

MidnightMelody Hopeful for Gen 8

Misty was a gym leader in the anime till AFTER Johto

17. OfCorsola

OfCorsola Brock and Misty!

I'm pretty sure BW was supposed to be a rehash of Kanto just like most of their filler episodes are rehases (Ex, Tower of Terror, Make Room For Shuppet, and that espurr exy episodes) or how Ash looses his badges ever arc.

Misty=Iris Brock=Cilan and they failed miserably to make BW Ash more like OS Ash.

18. chalkus

chalkus Well-Known Member

There is no definitive proof that BW was a throwback to OS but there are clear indications that it could be. Look at how Ash was turned to a novice and needed Iris to help him, like he needed Misty in the OS. Or the similarities in Misty's and Brock's personalities to Iris and Cilan. An how Ash met Cilan after battling just like he did Brock. And a pokemon following him wearing glasses. There's lots of stuff to reference to.

As far as Iris goes, I am glad she was in the anime. Second best Pokegirl as far as I am concerned.

19. OfCorsola

OfCorsola Brock and Misty!

There wasn't definitive proof indeed, but yeah it was sort of obvious.

I personally disliked Iris, and thought the anime would've been better off with Hilda IMO. It's probably because her and hilberts manga counterparts were just hilarious, and interesting. Not novice much

20. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

Your liking of Iris seems to be based on her 99 win streak or owning a Dragonite though.