• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why didn't Best Wishes use Hilda?

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
I honestly wish they would have used Hilda. I like her design and I don't see why they couldn't make her personality similar to Iris's. but I guess like everybody says it's the kanto throwback thing.

Red and Blue

There wasn't definitive proof indeed, but yeah it was sort of obvious.

I personally disliked Iris, and thought the anime would've been better off with Hilda IMO. It's probably because her and hilberts manga counterparts were just hilarious, and interesting. Not novice much

I think that Best Wishes could have worked with Hilda, even with the age difference between her and Ash. I've kind of always wanted to see Ash have a older traveling companion, and Hilda could have been a good opportunity. I'm not sure if she would have been like her PokeSpecial counterpart though.

I think that Best Wishes could have worked with Hilda, even with the age difference between her and Ash. I've kind of always wanted to see Ash have a older traveling companion, and Hilda could have been a good opportunity. I'm not sure if she would have been like her PokeSpecial counterpart though.

She doesn't need to like Pokespe, she only needs to be her own character.

chalkus

Your liking of Iris seems to be based on her 99 win streak or owning a Dragonite though.

That plus:

1. She started out as a badass trainer instead of being clueless and flakey like some others
2. She owned Ash
3. She owned the Junior Cup
4. She narrowly beat Dawn
5. She didn't take crap from anyone especially Ash
6. I could see her reaching her goal of becoming a dragon master, unlike some of the other Pokegirls whose goals are up in the air
7. She gave the least amount of shipping hints, thankfully

What's not to like. Too many people are dumping on her because of BW's failings which isn't fair, and other nefarious reasons. Even if Hilda was in the anime she would have had Iris' personality anyway, so I think it's a moot point. What I think would have been better would be if she was included as the older third character instead of Cilan. That would have made a lot more sense for sacking Brock instead of replacing him with a clone.

Lady Kuki

Candy.
My theories are:

-Perhaps Hilda's outfit was too revealing? I don't know about you, but it's possible that the writers of the Pokemon anime didn't want to start any controversy, so they ruled her out . I mean, they could have just changed her design to fit the anime. Then again, this theory's probably false because Misty wears short-shorts in the anime too and few people seemed to have complained about it.

-Maybe they wanted to make the anime an homage to the Kanto series? Like the others said, I think the writers had planned on making the Black and White anime a bit closer to home, you know, like the first season of the Pokemon anime where Ash's two main companions were both gym leaders at some point. After all, they did want to add that same kind of effect to the games, so why not for the anime as well?

-My third theory is that maybe they didn't really know what to do with her? It sounds silly, but Hilda is certainly not the only in-game character that has not made an appearance in the anime. Unova didn't really seem to have stuff like contests and what not; the kind of things that Ash's past female companions were into. I personally think that Hilda could have worked well as some sort of rival or mentor to Ash; that could've worked. I guess that the writers either lacked ideas on what to do with her, or just didn't want to add her in because she didn't seem to fit in the mood of the anime.

I think I'll have to go with the second theory, since it's the theory that makes the most amount of sense to me. That, and the anime writers just happen to not use some of the in-game Pokemon characters for whatever reason.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
I don't see how anyone could say fanservice would be an issue considering misty also wore short denims, and dawn had her ling t-shirt that was called a skirt.

Navin

MALDREAD
How about another theory? Y'now, it might sound dumb, but if the Unova region is supposed to be based on New York, which has a sizeable black population, they wanted to represent that demographic in one of the protagonists - Iris is black.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
How about another theory? Y'now, it might sound dumb, but if the Unova region is supposed to be based on New York, which has a sizeable black population, they wanted to represent that demographic in one of the protagonists - Iris is black.

No, Lenora the Gym leader is black. Iris is based on either a Southeastern Asian or an Indian (hindu)

Are you racist, because that's a horrible reason.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I really doubt the color of her skin was the reason why Iris was used over Hilda. The throwback idea seems like the best reason why Iris was used imo.

Canada

Banned
This thread is just too hilarious right now.

Anyway, the writers chose Iris because they wanted to. Having a trainer who was interested in befriending dragon type pokemon was an interesting change from having the player girl travel with Ash for the past two generations anyway. Maybe they just wanted something different that time around which is perfectly cool.

Last edited:

k6666

Pikachu Fan
i kinda agree the throwback of OS which i kinda like tbh since the motto of Black and White is The New Beginning

Everlasting

Everything stays.
I always thought the reason why was Hilda left out is because the Black and White main protagonist were the first to be designed as older young trainers. Perhaps the writers didn't know at the time how to make her look younger because she obviously didn't fit in Ash's age range, assuming she had to be 10, like all the female companions so far.

But I presume the two other popular theories are just as good; to "recreate" the OS era or to make change after getting May and Dawn (which is a good thing). I wouldn't be surprised if any of those 3 were the actual reason. I think we may never know! :p

Navin

MALDREAD
No, Lenora the Gym leader is black. Iris is based on either a Southeastern Asian or an Indian (hindu)

As an Indian (Hindu) myself, where are you seeing that influence?

Are you racist, because that's a horrible reason.

You got to be kidding...how is what I said remotely racist? There was nothing inflammatory being said -.-

Unova is based on New York. New York has black people. Iris is black. That's just fact, not racism.

Last edited:
As an Indian (Hindu) myself, where the hell are you seeing that influence?

You got to be kidding...how is what I said remotely racist? There was nothing inflammatory being said -.-

Unova is based on New York. New York has black people. Iris is black. That's just fact, not racism.

She's not black, not every dark skin person is blsck, research, do you use it? Brock's dark skinned, does thst make him black?

And to anyone think Hilda couldn't be in BW because of her age/appesrence or writer or pulling reasons the writers couldn't from your ***?

Canada

Banned
And to anyone think Hilda couldn't be in BW because of her age/appesrence or writer or pulling reasons the writers couldn't from your ***?

What? I seriously don't understand anything you just typed here.

For the record this thread is for discussing ideas on why Hilda wasn't used and that's what everyone is doing. I just happen to think the reason is more simple than other theories but it doesn't mean their ideas are stupid.

Also calm your tits, bro. You're just overreacting to nothing lol.

Last edited:

Navin

MALDREAD
She's not black, not every dark skin person is blsck,

Your point being...what? On the flip side, majority of black people are dark-skinned. This is going on with the idea that if Unova is based on New York, and they wanted to show some of that demographic influence, they chose Iris, a game character that definitely can be viewed as being black.

research, do you use it?

Just participated in an undergraduate science research conference the other day...so, yeah I do.

Brock's dark skinned, does thst make him black?

Maybe, maybe not. Does it matter? He looks Filipino to me.

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
I didn't say I wanted anime hilda too be like pokespe, u just really enjoyed white in it and wouldn't mind her being like that in the anime. Kinda think that could've been better. They could've even added Hilbert too which I wanted to see.

I don't think there is any other reasons other than they wanted to just remake kanto in a way. It's pretty obvious. I still think they should've thrown in Hilda instead of Iris, who would be a more enjoyable character than Iris was.

Also, they need to get this age thing right. They design characters like May and Dawn who intend to be 10 but they look at least 16. They want to appeal kids right? Well I can ne a lot of shows that have main characters for kids that are 16 I don't see what's the biggie.

Last edited:
I agree with anyone saying it was a throwback to the first few seasons. Traveling around with two gym leaders...yeah.

Kinda bummed me out though, as I really wanted to see Hilda and N interact. Yup. -shipper-