• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why didn't Best Wishes use Hilda?

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
You know if Iris was used as a rival for Ash being his first female rival and Hilda was used to travel with him I think I would of enjoyed BW a lot more. It would of been interesting to Iris as a rival and her persona would of worked for it too. But yeah the whole Kanto vibe they wanted to use is the one and obvious reason. Can't say it worked well at all but they wanted to play of nostalgia

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
You know if Iris was used as a rival for Ash being his first female rival and Hilda was used to travel with him I think I would of enjoyed BW a lot more. It would of been interesting to Iris as a rival and her persona would of worked for it too. But yeah the whole Kanto vibe they wanted to use is the one and obvious reason. Can't say it worked well at all but they wanted to play of nostalgia

Iris wasn't antagonistic enough for that role; her calling out Ash on trivial things throughout BW as a rival wouldn't have changed much imo.

I personally loved Hilda's design, but I think her age was an issue. And even if they had "de-aged" her in the anime, she would've looked odd as a 10-year-old in Daisy Dukes. :p

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
To be honest I do think Iris would have worked better as a recurring rival for Ash in BW rather than a travel companion.

Trip was a pointless character and having Iris as Ash's main rival that saga might have been more interesting. Her wins over him would have made more sense storywise too. Seeing Ash battle Iris in the league would have been cool too.

In general I think Iris was an interesting concept of a character that sadly the writers didn't utilize as well as they could of. Instead of being neglected on the cast she could have been a great rival and the first real female rival of the series.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Iris wasn't antagonistic enough for that role; her calling out Ash on trivial things throughout BW as a rival wouldn't have changed much imo.

I personally loved Hilda's design, but I think her age was an issue. And even if they had "de-aged" her in the anime, she would've looked odd as a 10-year-old in Daisy Dukes. :p
I really don't see the issue with her age, Serena has been de-aged and her design turned out fine.

Nodame

Misty <3
Because BW is a reboot in the original series Ash traveled with Brock and Misty 2 gym leaders. So in BW Ash travels with Cilan and Iris, also gym leaders. It's pretty obvious I think.

I'm not an Iris fan, but I think it was a nice surprise to have her as the companion girl. So I don't mind that it's Iris even though I would've liked Hilda better.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
One thing I want to ask is if they did use Hilda, what would she do? We're currently seeing what a game protagonist does when she has no sidequest. So in BW what exactly would Hilda even do? I'm guessing the people who didn't like Iris wanted Hilda on the show, correct me if I am wrong. But Hilda would have done the exact same thing if not less then that. So what would you do with her? Iris at least had a Dragon Master thing going on.

Moonlight Starlight

One thing I want to ask is if they did use Hilda, what would she do? We're currently seeing what a game protagonist does when she has no sidequest. So in BW what exactly would Hilda even do? I'm guessing the people who didn't like Iris wanted Hilda on the show, correct me if I am wrong. But Hilda would have done the exact same thing if not less then that. So what would you do with her? Iris at least had a Dragon Master thing going on.

Thats is what I'm thinking as will too.From what I'm seeing from Hilda she is a pokemon trainer but what kind of trainer class would she be like different from the anime and her personality that goes as a pokemon trainer who she is that goes as her type like from other girls that travel with Ash.From what I see from Iris from her as a pokemon trainer she likes to become a Dragon Master part from her goal dream there, for Misty she likes water type pokemon and her goal dream is to become a Water Pokemon Master(which something similar but different types of pokemon that Iris and Misty like in different ways). Both Dawn and May are pokemon trainers in both manga and video games but in the anime versions they both are pokemon coordinator with different goal dreams in their different personality which I see from Dawn she has the fashion girly type character in her who she is.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I bet if Hilda was used everyone would complain that she doesn't have a goal kinda like we're doing with Serena now.

Remember back in BW there were no sidequests for the girl companion either, Hilda would have done nothing.

chalkus

Completely agree. If Hilda was in the anime, she would either be doing exactly what Iris did or would be stuck in a rut like Serena is now.

@CyberCubed - I have enjoyed seeing Iris in the main cast so I would prefer she stay there but if I could choose otherwise, I'd definitely make her Ash's rival. She owned Ash throughout BW and would have been a far more credible person to beat Ash than that Cameron guy.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I bet if Hilda was used everyone would complain that she doesn't have a goal kinda like we're doing with Serena now.

Remember back in BW there were no sidequests for the girl companion either, Hilda would have done nothing.

Hilda could've done Pokemon Musicals; the writers could've actually used some creativity and made them more interesting in the anime like Contests.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Completely agree. If Hilda was in the anime, she would either be doing exactly what Iris did or would be stuck in a rut like Serena is now.

@CyberCubed - I have enjoyed seeing Iris in the main cast so I would prefer she stay there but if I could choose otherwise, I'd definitely make her Ash's rival. She owned Ash throughout BW and would have been a far more credible person to beat Ash than that Cameron guy.

Really I'm fine with people not have goals. Tons of anime have people hanging with the main and yet have no goal and are fun good chareters. Heck Duke and Trsitain did nothing in Yugioh and are two of my favs.

I guess after so many years of pokemon people having some kind of goal even if it was hardly touched on has made lots want people to have goals but yeah I'm fine with Serena being Serena myself.

Really I'm fine with people not have goals. Tons of anime have people hanging with the main and yet have no goal and are fun good chareters. Heck Duke and Trsitain did nothing in Yugioh and are two of my favs.

I guess after so many years of pokemon people having some kind of goal even if it was hardly touched on has made lots want people to have goals but yeah I'm fine with Serena being Serena myself.

Well, Tristan I can understand to some extent, but even he actually dueled to impress Serenity sometimes. However, Duke was the creator of Dungeon Dice Monsters and he did a lot himself, so that part I don't agree with.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!

Logically speaking Iris only owned Ash because he was dumbed down in BW. If Iris had existed back in DP Ash would have been much more competent against her and likely beaten her, especially with his Sinnoh Pokemon.

Think about it, Iris only has two strong Pokemon, Excadrill and a Dragonite. Iris' Dragonite already lost to Ash's Krokodile and that was a newer pokemon. Excadrill is probably on the same level as Buizel power-wise so I don't see what the difference is.

Other than that a baby Axew and Emonga aren't very impressive,.

chalkus

DP Ash might have beaten Iris since his Sinnoh pokemon were better. But if Iris was in DP she would probably have had better pokemon too, so in the end she might still have won.

Well, Tristan I can understand to some extent, but even he actually dueled to impress Serenity sometimes. However, Duke was the creator of Dungeon Dice Monsters and he did a lot himself, so that part I don't agree with.

Duke and Tristan were near useless characters who did practically nothing throughout the show's run except Chase after a younger girl. Moving them would only affect filler.

Duke and Tristan were near useless characters who did practically nothing throughout the show's run except Chase after a younger girl. Moving them would only affect filler.
Yeah, but Duke actually did achieve his goal of being recognized by Pegasus and was the inventor of Dungeon Dice Monsters, while even Tristan beat down rare hunters and tossed out the Millennium ring to stop Yami Bakura-- my point being both are far better characters than Serena is in the Pokemon Anime.

Anyway, back on topic, probably because Hilda is an older protagonist in the games and they wanted a younger one for the Anime.

Last edited:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
DP Ash might have beaten Iris since his Sinnoh pokemon were better. But if Iris was in DP she would probably have had better pokemon too, so in the end she might still have won.

I don't think iris' pokemon would have been any better. Dawn's team consisted of almost all unvolved pokemon other than Manoswine. Iris would have had the same type of team back in DP.

fitzy909

Just another guy
I don't think iris' pokemon would have been any better. Dawn's team consisted of almost all unvolved pokemon other than Manoswine. Iris would have had the same type of team back in DP.

Pretty much, excpet for a Gible instead of Axew or something similar.

chalkus

Not necessarily. Dawn typically used small and cute pokemon and had no interest in making them evolve. If Iris kept her personality from BW in DP I would imagine she would go for a different team. Of course, if they gave her Dawn's personality then this point becomes moot.