• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why didn't Best Wishes use Hilda?

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
She's not in my book: it's actually why I like Iris a lot. I think it's because Misty was a bit more toned down to people, though, IMO.

I wonder, would Hilda have gotten similar treatment if she acted like Iris if she had been in the cast instead? Part of me really doubts it.

Last edited:
I think it might have something to do with the fact that Iris with hypocritical. I mean, that was done for comedic effect, but I could see why people might find Iris annoying for calling out Ash for stuff she does, too. Also, a lot of the things Iris called Ash a kid for were kind of dumb. I mean, he gets excited for a Gym Battle and Iris calls him a kid for it!? Ash has every right to be excited for heading to a battle; that's his passion.

I am an Iris fan, but I certainly understand why she is so polarizing.

Janovy

Banned
Also, a lot of the things Iris called Ash a kid for were kind of dumb. I mean, he gets excited for a Gym Battle and Iris calls him a kid for it!? Ash has every right to be excited for heading to a battle; that's his passion.

I am an Iris fan, but I certainly understand why she is so polarizing.
That's because it wasn't meant to be taken seriously, though. And people took a joke seriously. That's just not how it should be.

That's because it wasn't meant to be taken seriously, though. And people took a joke seriously. That's just not how it should be.

People take characters seriously a lot of the times, though. Iris was great TV, but she developed a hatedom because people didn't like her personally. Same reason why Paul or Hunter J probably have a large hatedom. Their actions may be good TV, but people are too turned off by their personalities that they develop a hatedom.

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
If you thought she was annoying that's fine. Truthfully so was Rocko (Brock), all he ever did was flirt with people and cook, I don't see how that's not annoying. As well as Heureka (Bonnie) and her "cute" act, and Team Rocket. How exactly is "No need to worry" better? Both phrases are as overused as the other.

I disliked Brock in Diamond and Pearl for that very reason. Bonnie, is alright..i still prefer Max.
"No need to worry" was rarely used, I have no idea what you're talking about

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I wish Hilda would've replaced Iris just to see what kind of reception she'd receive. I love Iris, but I'm still curious about what could have been.

Last edited:
What "hatedom" do they have? They're worshiped like Gods around here and on other Pokemon forums in general.

That's true, but I'm sure based on their personalities, they do have some people that dislike their personalities strongly. I've certainly seen at least a couple of people that don't like Paul on here in part for his personality. Maybe those 2 aren't the two best examples out there.

Maybe Trip and Giovanni would be better picks for a rival and villain if we are looking for characters who are hated because people take their personalities too seriously.

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
What "hatedom" do they have? They're worshiped like Gods around here and on other Pokemon forums in general.

I wish Hilda would've replaced Iris just to see what kind of reception she'd receive.

Same, bruh.

I mean, Iris isn't impossible to like. They could've changed her personality up a little bit, not make her into a crazy psychopath which I see. If they gave here a different personality with the same goal, she'd be on my favorites.

Same, bruh.

I mean, Iris isn't impossible to like. They could've changed her personality up a little bit, not make her into a crazy psychopath which I see. If they gave here a different personality with the same goal, she'd be on my favorites.

Woah, woah, woah, you could call her mean or a hypocrite all you like but psychopath?

Best Wishes is the same series that brought us Dr. Zager, Colress, Ghetsis, and Giovanni returned to Big Bad status after so long and Iris is the psychopath?

Janovy

Banned
Someone needs to look up the definition of 'psychopath'.

Iris may have been cynical and hypocritical, but she was also sweet, supportive and kind.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
That doesn't mean they would have been that way in the anime. If you mean their Pokemon Adventures counterparts they would never had worked in this anime. Especially in Best Wishes. Hilbert would have to bow down to Ash's demands of main character and would easily lose his storyline. No Gyms for him, no storyline with N either, that would go to Ash. Hilda's storyline would probably be scrapped altogether because she can't leave the main cast because that would take screentime off Ash, which the writers don't know how to do. Their counterparts would be screwed in the anime, because they would be main characters stuck in a sidekick role.
In an anime that thrives on stereotypes it could never happen. Platinum, Sapphire, Black, etc. could never exist in the anime. As much as I'd love characters like them to be in the anime they'll never get the great treatment they got in Pokemon Special. They'd just play second/third string to Ash in the long run. But I don't want to talk about Ash for too long so I'll stop it right here.

But she's highly underrated. What did this poor girl do?
Some of it is of note, but a good lot of it is blind hatred and hypocritical feelings. I'd say some criticism is warranted, but a major amount of it, masked or not masked is anger because she didn't submit to Ash in character, role or personality.

Woah, woah, woah, you could call her mean or a hypocrite all you like but psychopath?

Best Wishes is the same series that brought us Dr. Zager, Colress, Ghetsis, and Giovanni returned to Big Bad status after so long and Iris is the psychopath?
Ex. one, It's blind hate, I usually ignore post like that. How you consider a 10-year-old snarky girl a psychopath is beyond my comprehensions personally.

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!

Uhm, well I meant psychopath in the way where she got angry at Ash for mistaking she was a "pokemon"
People do make mistakes, but I didn't see at all why she got so angry at Ash.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
Uhm, well I meant psychopath in the way where she got angry at Ash for mistaking she was a "pokemon"
People do make mistakes, but I didn't see at all why she got so angry at Ash.

If someone threw a PokeBall at you, you'd be a little ticked too. Are you really angry about that when similar things happened with Dawn, who I know for a fact you love?

Villains are supposed to be psychopaths though and are crazy. That's what makes them villains.

Well, yeah, exactly. I'm just saying that you have so many crazy villains in Best Wishes that pointing at Iris and saying she's the psychopaths is crazy. Giovanni and Zager threaten to crush Ash to death and Iris is the psychopath for calling him a kid? What?

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
If someone threw a PokeBall at you, you'd be a little ticked too. Are you really angry about that when similar things happened with Dawn, who I know for a fact you love?
I'll admit, Dawn can get annoyed at Ash, and fight with him which I find uncalled for. I dislike when all the female companions have to take their anger out on Ash.
So what if I thats how I Iris? Can't you guys see that its how I view her whether its agreed or not?

It's not blind hate, I don't hate Iris, I didn't like how she was handled but wow, if you can't take an opinion into account, then doors opened!

Also, I honestly didn't know that calling Iris a psychopath would be taken so seriously. There's no problem in that, and I don't find it "offensive" to her. There are many psychotic characters that are awesome in my views.

Last edited:

Jfloydian

Ash <3 Misty
Maybe pokeshipper9000 meant "psycho" as just in...a little weird for getting so pissed about that situation. It is somewhat funny! It just comes down to the writers, the same ones who wrote and contributed to other characters so really everyone's opinion should be respected. In the end, someone loves one character and hates another? Well, that's their opinion and I respect it.

It's obvious I love Misty...and I have seen a lot of people on here who hate her but hey..to each their own.

And now back on topic.

Like others have said, the series was going to be more like Kanto..almost as a throwback. So that is why Iris was cast I believe.

Do you think they achieved the feeling of the first season? Personally, I do not think it compares.

Last edited:

Benny™

Best Wishes Do Come True Under The Sun & Moon
I disliked Brock in Diamond and Pearl for that very reason. Bonnie, is alright..i still prefer Max.
"No need to worry" was rarely used, I have no idea what you're talking about

Yes it was, she said it all the time. Some times this was followed up with "When you say that, you give us reason to worry" or similar, a response that was also overused.
Also Paul says "pathetic" all the time and no one complains.

For that matter, no one seems to complain about battle cries either.

Last edited:

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
Yes it was, she said it all the time. Some times this was followed up with "When you say that, you give us reason to worry" or similar, a response that was also overused.

Seeing as how Paul is the rival of Ash not to mention his personality is cold and calculating I don't see how that compares. He also doesn't say it all the time BTW especially not to those he considers worthy of his respect.

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!

I honestly don't remember her saying it overboard.
The point I was trying to make is "Ash, you're such a kid." Phrase was not over used only, but annoying.
Pathetic catchphrase that paul said was just priceless.