• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why didn't Best Wishes use Hilda?

Benny™

Best Wishes Do Come True Under The Sun & Moon
Seeing as how Paul is the rival of Ash not to mention his personality is cold and calculating I don't see how that compares. He also doesn't say it all the time BTW especially not to those he considers worthy of his respect.

I don't see him being a rival changes the fact that he said it all the time to Ash, anytime they met up, he said it. Lilia is Ash's friend, she's allowed to tease and criticize him.

The point I was trying to make is "Ash, you're such a kid." Phrase was not over used only, but annoying.
Pathetic catchphrase that paul said was just priceless.

Mine was that people don't get on some of the other characters for THEIR overused stuff.
Not for me.

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
I don't see him being a rival changes the fact that he said it all the time to Ash, anytime they met up, he said it. Lilia is Ash's friend, she's allowed to tease and criticize him.

Mine was that people don't get on some of the other characters for THEIR overused stuff.
Not for me.

It's okay then, I understand you didn't like Paul's catch phrase.
People only mainly got on Iris's infamous "Ash you're such a kid" was because it was just annoying, not because it was overused, if she had a different catch phrase, I honestly wouldn't mind.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Also Paul says "pathetic" all the time and no one complains.

Basically this. When he called Ash "pathetic" he really meant to be rude since he didn't like Ash and when Iris called Ash a kid, she was just teasing Ash. They were friends despite their disagreements. I'm tired of double standards though. It was okay for the fandom to drag Ash throughout BW too, but taboo for Iris to voice her complaints for some reason.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes

Because he's not Ash's friend. He's his rival. He tries to destroy Ash's confidence so he could trample him. Paul did the same to Maylene. Ash just could take the insults. Iris is his friend. Calling him that almost every single episode got old fast. Paul didn't see Ash every single episode.

Benny™

It was okay for the fandom to drag Ash throughout BW too, but taboo for Iris to voice her complaints for some reason.

The fandom says worse things than just "such a kid", too.

Because he's not Ash's friend. He's his rival. He tries to destroy Ash's confidence so he could trample him. Paul did the same to Maylene. Ash just could take the insults. Iris is his friend. Calling him that almost every single episode got old fast. Paul didn't see Ash every single episode.

I can understand if it got old for you, "Pathetic" and "No need to worry" and others got old for me.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
Paul and Barry both acted condescending and like jerks to Ash regularly during appearances, I specifically Barry taunting Ash over him missing a badge and not being on Paul and his level. Plenty of characters act like jerks to Ash but when Iris teases him with her Kodomo Ne comments she's made out to be the absolute worst thing ever. It's amazing how fans will say awful things about Ash regularly yet when a character in the show supposedly does it they collectively lose their lunches like infantilized grown adults.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
C'mon guys, just watch this YT of Iris calling Ash a kid and tell me if by the end you are annoyed or not:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJVw-wmy0vw

Oh God. And to think I was trying to forget. I think Iris is a decent character too but my God I hate that phrase now. It might have been more tolerable if it didn't happen almost every episode (key difference between Paul's "pathetic" and this)

Benny™

I wasn't annoyed, especially seeing it's just under a minute.

Edit: Maybe Paul isn't the best example since he's not in every episode but what about Ash's "So psyched!" - and similar variations? Or "That's Awesome!"?

Last edited:

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
For me it wasn't annoying when she called Ash a kid itself and I didn't even mind when she said it, but it was her tone of voice and her voice in general in both the dub and the original that made it annoying. I also didn't like how she was developing at times either, especially during the whole Junior Cup arc. However if Hilda was used instead of Iris, she would probably have been treated the same way as Iris in her development since it seems that the writers forgot how to write the female leads after Dawn.

C'mon guys, just watch this YT of Iris calling Ash a kid and tell me if by the end you are annoyed or not:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJVw-wmy0vw

EDIT: How is this off-topic? People are literally debating about Iris above -.-

I agree but personally, I find the Japanese Kodomo Ne kinda sweet. She is voiced by Aoi Yuki, and she has a very very very cuuute voice and does her emotions well. I think the dub kinda ruined her for some people. I am glad I don't watch it........I guess?

As for why Hilda was chosen........it's a simple question to answer. They wanted to replicate the OS by having Ash travel with two gym leaders. I am not even sure why the discussion went into Iris hate and stereotypes and stuff. XD

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
For me it wasn't annoying when she called Ash a kid itself and I didn't even mind when she said it, but it was her tone of voice and her voice in general in both the dub and the original that made it annoying. I also didn't like how she was developing at times either, especially during the whole Junior Cup arc. However if Hilda was used instead of Iris, she would probably have been treated the same way as Iris in her development since it seems that the writers forgot how to write the female leads after Dawn.
I certainly agree with the last part, we have either two options, hilda could've been treated like Serena with no goal, or she would have been handled properly, but after seeing the last two pokegirls, Hilda would've been treated the same.

I still have hope for Serena, I know she has potential, but right now the writers need to speeden up with her development, it's too slow.
Character Bashing: Was I really? Was I? Some people are just too much sometimes

Last edited:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I kinda feel Iris would have been better being Ash's main rival in BW instead of Trip, and Hilda be on the group. That way Iris could still be in the series and her strength/attitude toward Ash would be justified since she would be his main rival in the saga.

Iris interactions with Cilan were good so maybe she could still interact with him a lot even as a recurring rival like how Barry did sometimes.

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
I kinda feel Iris would have been better being Ash's main rival in BW instead of Trip, and Hilda be on the group. That way Iris could still be in the series and her strength/attitude toward Ash would be justified since she would be his main rival in the saga.

Iris interactions with Cilan were good so maybe she could still interact with him a lot even as a recurring rival like how Barry did sometimes.
That's what I would've settled on too.

Plus, at least I have my reasons for not liking Iris as much. I literally have talked to people on here or fanfiction and they flat out told me they dislike Iris because they think she is "ugly" Now, that is just nuts!

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
However if Hilda was used instead of Iris, she would probably have been treated the same way as Iris in her development since it seems that the writers forgot how to write the female leads after Dawn.

I think that contrary to popular misconceptions, Iris was handled well as a character; she had an actual goal, she was a competent battler, and she actually got involved in things. Just because Serena has suffered by being the exact opposite of a proactive character doesn't mean that female companion quality has declined significantly ever since Dawn left. That's giving her way too much credit. If Hilda had replaced Iris, she'd probably be handled well too, just without the interest in Dragon-types.

I mean, that's likely the main reason. Though I'm still going to always maintain my secondary reason of: Unova supposed to be like New York; New York has black people; Iris is black.

POC representation might be a thing too, I agree. Because, up until then the show was based on various RL Japanese regions. So, it makes sense.

Shiny-Psyduck

I was personally not fond of how BW turned out so it they might have been better off with her instead of Iris. Iris was a nice idea but her development as a character was so poor.