• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why didn't Misty and Iris get a Pokedex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iraqmaster

Maybe Misty had one, but as time went on, she learned enough about pokemon or felt that she didn't need it..

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I'm pretty sure Iris and Misty are not official trainers. As in not getting a poke from the prof. I'm guessing it is like sports. How people sign up for leagues and stuff then you have people who play for the fun of it

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I'm pretty sure Iris and Misty are not official trainers. As in not getting a poke from the prof. I'm guessing it is like sports. How people sign up for leagues and stuff then you have people who play for the fun of it

Coordinators don't compete in leagues and they got Pokedex's.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Gymleaders don't need pokedexs. May wasn't sure she was going to be a coordinator until later and Dawn's mom said that all coordinators start out as trainers. I don't know why gymleaders don't but that's something you will have to take up with the producers of the show.

Bluelatios*

So....I vouch for the thread to be renamed "why do some main characters have a Pokedex while others don't? ". Anyways, I recall officer Jenny mentioning that your Pokedex is your trainer ID so there's really no reason not to have one. If you battle using a Pokemon, then you have to be an actual trainer (or have a jr. trainer license if you are under 10). Its possible that they did have regular ID cards and that some characters simply chose to carry those instead. Unfortunately, the only true explanation is that the writers for whatever reason wanted to have 2 people using Pokedexes from AG through DP.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Coordinators don't compete in leagues and they got Pokedex's.

Thats what I mean. Trains who get pokemon from the prof and go for a competition get the dexes. I view a contest journey the same as a league journey since they both gather badges/ribbons to compete in a larger bash.

iraqmaster

I would assume that some trainers don't see or feel the need to whip out their PokeDexes to scan each and every Pokemon they see. That and it would be boring if every single trainer out there whipped out their pokedex every single time..

STICKTOPIA

I don't understand why this matters. Like people previously said, they weren't starters like May and Dawn. They didn't start from a professor or an authorized nurse joy.

Because they never got stater Pokemon from the prof oak/junipher thus them not giving them five pokéballs and a pokedex
(if u remember dawn and may got pokedexs and starters)

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Because May and Dawn are playable characters that you can modifiy and play as in the games they star in and get a Pokedex the same way they get starters in the game. The anime just added that feature to the girls when they started out to further point out they are playable/important characters in the Pokeverse. Misty and Iris do not have the same features in the game and are treated differently then May and Dawn. The Coordinators even got multiple starters. 3 for May and 2 for Dawn which is also different then Misty and Iris. Please don't mention Brock's Mudkip. In the games May and Dawn have Pokedexs whether you play as them or not. In the games Misty and Iris are Gym Leaders that don't need them. The anime stuck with that.

By the way, Misty didn't need one in OS. Ash was the Pokedex button masher in the old days. May and Dawn usually served as Pokedexing old Pokemon that had already been seen but were new to them/new audience members who didn't watch OS. Dawn took this to the extreme and dexed everything that moved XD

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash

If you get your First Pokemon from a Professor or Authorized Nurse Joy you get a Pokedex.

If you get your First Pokemon from any other source you do not get a Pokedex.
I agree with this. Plus Misty and Iris aren't beginner trainers like May and Dawn were.

Latiken

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Hey at least we know in DP ash never had to do something as stupid as dexing a Koffing. -.-

It was for the kids not Ash....It shocks me on how stupid some of the fanbase is and complains about this stuff

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
I agree with this. Plus Misty and Iris aren't beginner trainers like May and Dawn were.

So? There are pokemon that even they didn't know about at first, so don't make it like their perfectionists or anything. Besides, Ash still holds his pokedex and he is supposed to be experienced too.

*~Silver*~

Misty and Iris didn't get their first Pokemon from a lab, they just had a Pokemon, and went on a journey with it. Notice that they didn't actually have a starter Pokemon? They didn't have a reason why they didn't have an official starter either, like Ash did.

Status
Not open for further replies.