• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why didn't Misty and Iris get a Pokedex?

Status
Not open for further replies.
She probably got her first Pokemon from a Professor? We only know three of the Pokemon she has, so we can't exactly say she doesn't have a starter..

Heck, with that logic, we'd have to question why Ash had a Dex pre-Bulbasaur and the Hidden Village, as he didn't have a 'starter.'

fitzy909

Just another guy
Well dawn and may had just started their journeys as trainers, which is when you get a pokedex. Iris and misty had at least some experience to start with, so maybe they don't have one or don't use them. Considering iris's background im not surprised she doesn't have one.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
Why the hell does this even matter because starting another potential "female protagonist" war? Brock, Cilan, and Tracey didn't get Pokedexes either. It's not like the Pokedex is a special tool, item, and weapon in Pokemon Adventures, it's just something to check the data of Pokemon with for 15 seconds every episodes. Iris didn't get her Pokemon from a professor and Misty most likely didn't either, nor are either playable characters. Georgia did probably get her Cubchoo from a professor, Cedric Juniper I'm guessing.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Naturally, Pokédex are used to help the Professor of the region who needs to collect some informations of the Pokémon and study them. It's not a toy. So the professor is offering one to the trainers that are sure to go in a journey to help their researches. May and Dawn received one because they've choose a starter under the eyes of the professor.

Satoshi101

Duh, it's because they aren't official trainers. Official meaning that they have received a starter Pokemon from an authorized dealer like the regional Professor or Nurse Joy.

Concerning Misty's first Pokemon, I think we were just supposed to assume that she grew up around all those Pokemon at the Cerulean Gym and bonded with them all. It does seem that Staryu has bonded with her more than her others. Heck, they even made it stronger than Starmie.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Concerning Misty's first Pokemon, I think we were just supposed to assume that she grew up around all those Pokemon at the Cerulean Gym and bonded with them all. It does seem that Staryu has bonded with her more than her others. Heck, they even made it stronger than Starmie.

Probably true. Staryu was likely her first pokemon anyway.

iraqmaster

First off, we are assuming that Misty and Iris didn't get Pokedexes. By the time we meet them, they are established trainers somewhat, and have moved to a specific type of pokemon. Like I said earlier, maybe they had a pokedex when they likely first started, but as time went on, they felt that they didn't need one so they left theirs at home.

For that matter, we should also ask why:

AJ ( Kanto)

Casey ( Johto)

Damian ( Kanto)

Daisy, Lily, & Violet

And any other trainers do not have Pokedexes?

SBaby

Dungeon Master
With Misty, I think it was just a matter of the fact that the show was still finding its place, so some things likely weren't fleshed out yet. The production team of the Anime probably just forgot about it, since they were focusing on Ash, and coming up with new ways Team Rocket could pester him each week. As for Iris, she may have gotten one, but just doesn't use it. I'd call it a minor misstep, since it was established early in canon that every Trainer gets one.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Misty didn't even start with a professor so why would she get a Pokedex's? She was just there at the Gym and just got whatever water pokemon were there.

*~Silver*~

Misty didn't even start with a professor so why would she get a Pokedex's? She was just there at the Gym and just got whatever water pokemon were there.

Exactly. She probably didn't even start with just one. She probably got two or three, and just left the gym with them. xD

Starsurfer

Pokemon Idol
I think it's because they weren't beginners that were set to get a Pokedex. Every instance I've seen a character receive a PDex, it's been while receiving one of the 3 starter Pokemon, either from the regional professor or Nurse Joy. Misty and Iris weren't beginners though, and recieved their first Pokemon through alternate means.

Cancer0081

Team Aqua member
well Misty not having a pokedex has been overstated, she's a gym leader. why would a gym leader have a pokedex? but my theory with Iris is that her weird/wild nature helps her like a pokedex would for the most part. I'm sure if she wanted one she could always call Professor Juniper for one or something.

Miar

Wigglytuff Guild recruit
For an in-universe justification, I don't think all trainers get dexes.
Some trainers we see are probably unofficial (and therefore can't participate in leagues, etc.).
If so, Iris falls under this, but she might be able to get one if she decides to go badge-hunting.

Gym Leaders shouldn't need one. Certain levels of Pokémon knowledge should be required to pass the bar to become a recognized professional.

majormanafemale

Ok for all we know overall its just easier fir them to use Ash's esp. Misty in os. Why did they show case may and Dawn's to show diffrent styles of pokedex's yes ita dumb. Misty couldn't have been gym leader yet which is different issue yeah the writers need help in short. Misty definitely got her 1st Pokemon or 2 from gym its not hard. I'm pretty sure their are diffrent forms of ID once Brock used gym badge as id. Why didn't Brock cause Brock isn't stupid sorry let's be honest other then Brock and Max most of these kids are slow. Why would Tracey and cilian need 1 when they mostly observe Pokemon tracey also draws them idk what Pokemon consuir means so dk what that entails. If you ohserve Pokemon long enough eveb if did have pokedex once probably no longer have it dose everyone forget Tracey was older then Ash and Misty. For all we know Misty had pokedex in her bag but bever had need for it cause she could easily grab Ash's or have known Ash would scan it plus she grew up in gym so she knew some Pokemon before hand. I never finished a whole unova ep cilian ugh so idk on iris thing but she could feel she dosent need it or whatever.

Lucario95

Behold The Aura!
Well, Misty and Iris are trainers that are mainly specialized on a type, its unnecessary for them to have. Misty knows most of her type. In case of Iris, she is learning still, but she knows about dragons.

MattySadler

Think most people have covered it, two started out as trainers via the 'conventional' regional Professor method, whereas the other two didn't. I think people need to stop trippin' about somebody asking a question. Its a forum, we're meant to provoke discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.