1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Why didn't XY get a "second wave"?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation VI Discussion' started by gentwoer, Mar 7, 2018.

1. gentwoer

gentwoer Well-Known Member

The first four gens got a 3rd version. Gen 5 and 7 got sequels. Gen 6? Nothing. Just XY and the Hoen remakes. Why no Pokemon Z or Pokemon X squared/Y squared?

2. RileyXY1

RileyXY1 Young Battle Trainer

Maybe GF didn't think that XY needed one? Either that or they wanted to get a new gen out by the 20th Anniversary.

3. Mr. Reloaded

Mr. Reloaded Git Gud

Looking back, this was most probably the case.

Sure Zygarde got shafted hard, but it is what it is.

4. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

Between Zygarde's additional formes and other factors like Eternal Floette, it's obvious that a third Kalos game - a "Pokémon Z" - was intended at some stage but was never realized.

I agree that it was probably a casualty of the behind-the-scenes shuffling of Generation VII and/or the Switch, but we're unlikely to ever know the full story.

5. Taodragon

Taodragon Training Anaylst

Small nitpick, but Gen 7 was a third version as it doesn't continue SM's events, it just retells them with new things.

Anyway, as said before it's likely due to the 20th anniversary coming up and likely not wanting a third version for the milestone, thus "Pokémon Z" ended up being skipped over due to its timing.

6. Satoshi & Touko

Satoshi & Touko The Princess is here <3

It still stings for me that Gen 6, a region that had trainer customization, had to be the first generation to not get a third version. At least both gen 7 games have it though so everything's all good.

7. Tsukuyomi56

Tsukuyomi56 Emblian Pride

Mostly likely the 20th Anniversary is the reason Kalos is the only region without a third version, to Game Freak ending said anniversary with a third Kalos game is underwhelming compared to releasing a game centered in a new region.

8. Trainer Yusuf

Trainer Yusuf VolcaniNO

As many have said, it likely had most to do with 20th anniversary and Switch's early release. There were two other games planned for XY as seen in game's code, but they didn't materialize due to this.

Another issue is likely to do with continuity. Unlike Regigigas, there wasn't anything they could add for Gen 7 from Gen 6 besides maybe something Volcanion related, so they repurposed Zygarde for Alola.

9. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

X/Y always seemed complete to me since they had so many available Pokemon. I didn't think they needed a sequel, and even to this day the "Gen 6.5" fan theories make me chuckle. That always seemed so absurd to me, personally.