• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why do Americans think they don't have accent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowSplash

Spring is Coming!
You can also add that typical Americans have this idea that anyone with an English accent is VERY SMART. -.-

Xx Flare xX

Everyone has an accent, you just notice some more then others, especially as you get older and meet more people from different places/backgrounds.

As for the nationality debate on country vs country that only seems to happen on the internet/online games where people across the globe have this sudden urge to be very vocal to the world. Apart from the occasional joke most people I talk to IRL don't really give a damn about people from another country (unless the subject is about something else).

Grei

not the color
Really? Most people not from California generally have no clue where I'm from based on my accent.

I think you're confused. Just because people cannot identify where an accent hails from doesn't mean that the accent doesn't exist.

anyone of asian descent can't do anything but math.
all brits are loud mouthed asses. same with australians.
canadians all drink maple syrup and eat bacon all day.
all americans are uncultured morons.

anything i'm forgetting?

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
Hey Krake. Just pointing out, it's not all people here in the UK that talk badly about Americans. Americans talk badly about us too!

Americans are stupid. British people moan. Guess we have to deal with stereotypes, haha! Of course you equally get moaning Americans and stupid Brits. I know a few! ha!

I do realize that not all British people aren't like that, but they seem to talk badly about us moreso than Americans do about you guys, like what GhostAnime says. It seems like whenever America makes a questionable action over something, then the UK is more than likely to harp on us and call us stupid Americans and the like.

It's like, the UK hates us, yet the US is always the focus of most of their news, it seems.

Seem

Hollen i ven.
Eh, I'd have to disagree. Every country is going to badmouth a country to a certain extent, but never have I seen more British complain about our way of life (measurements, being fat, stupid, calling football soccer, and electing Bush) more than vice-versa.

The only things I've heard Americans even say about England is just the same standard tea and crumpets stereotype. That's it. They don't make fun of your government, spelling, or anything else.

Highlighting the fact "I've heard/seen" meaning by your experiences.

By mine, I have seen huge amount of bad mouthing from Americans by the way our transport is bad, how we deal with criminals and so on.

Have seen Americans complain about themselves on electing Bush. haha!

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
People tend to be clueless of the fact that basically everyone that talks has an accent. It's the way certain people pronounce their words. Unless you're a mute person, you have an accent.

Thinking that simply sounding funny means someone has an accent is just general retardation. It's nothing new.

Last edited:

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Seems said:
Highlighting the fact "I've heard/seen" meaning by your experiences.
I knew you would say that. :)

Fair enough since it is only my experience, but this is clearly seen even on spp (a mostly North American chat, all the while). I've been on forums that were mostly dominated by Americans and still saw what I saw. There is no way I can see more UK to America hostility than the opposite in American dominated sites.

Oh and yeah, I'm mostly talking about the internet. Surprise, people IRL are nicer to other cultures than on the Internet!

Seem

Hollen i ven.
I do realize that not all British people aren't like that, but they seem to talk badly about us moreso than Americans do about you guys, like what GhostAnime says. It seems like whenever America makes a questionable action over something, then the UK is more than likely to harp on us and call us stupid Americans and the like.

Maybe it's the fact we generally moan about everything and make it known to all? Haha! Don't hit me with a keyboard!

I understand what you both are saying, I have seen a lot of bad mouthing from us Brits to the US, it's not like I am saying there isn't any. I know there is a lot of it about, and I really can't tell you why. I don't live in a place to hear American bashing every day.

krake said:
It's like, the UK hates us, yet the US is always the focus of most of their news, it seems.

Outside of a huge event, strange murder, or involvement of British people. No the US is not the main focus at all.

It's a shame to know you think the UK hate the US on a general basis though.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
From the English people I've spoken to, we are most definitely in your media more than you are in ours. The only time I've seen UK related news is in relation to the royal family or some change in power.

Meanwhile, all of my UK online friends seem to easily recall crap that happens here. I guess that may be because America doesn't cover the entire world and itself?

One other thing I'll also add.. is that there was a teenage UK kid I knew in school who SPECIFICALLY told me (online, of course, but we're still friends today) that his teacher taught his students to detest America.

I can't even remember the last time I've had a teacher anywhere talk about another country in a bad way. Let alone teach their students to hate some random country overseas.

Seem

Hollen i ven.
I knew you would say that. :)

Fair enough since it is only my experience, but this is clearly seen even on spp (a mostly North American chat, all the while). I've been on forums that were mostly dominated by Americans and still saw what I saw. There is no way I can see more UK to America hostility than the opposite in American dominated sites.

Oh and yeah, I'm mostly talking about the internet. Surprise, people IRL are nicer to other cultures than on the Internet!

Haha, I am predictable! Good one, Seem you dummy. Yeah, like I said I understand. :)

Of course people are harsher, nastier and down right rude on the Internet, it's a place where people are Anonymous.

In real life, it's a different story. Chapter one, political correctness.
Ha!

Witchan

Shauntal, FTW!
Despite being an American myself, I'd say that some of them are ignorant since they're pretending that they don't have accents (most of us obviously sound the same anyway whether you live in a city or small town in any region) while making fun of other non-Americans with different accents and not to mention that some Americans could be overpatriotic in a stereotypical manner (after the events of 9/11, but that's just my opinion).

Seem

Hollen i ven.
Meanwhile, all of my UK online friends seem to easily recall crap that happens here. I guess that may be because America doesn't cover the entire world and itself?

Ah right, that's a fair point.

Also could be that I don't live in London, in a small countryside village and don't hear about American affairs as much as I would do I suppose haha! Only major stuff.

GhostAnime said:
One other thing I'll also add.. is that there was a teenage UK kid I knew in school who SPECIFICALLY told me (online, of course, but we're still friends today) that his teacher taught his students to detest America.

That is really, really unnecessary! In my school days, I remember a teacher would joke about the negatives of America. But it wasn't outright rude or anything.

aggiegwyn

I think that we "Americans" (although, it should be more like "Citizens of the USA") are a little bit vain(or a lot), and because no one ever mentions it. We never are asked about our accent from people different from us, we ask them. If no one asks, then aren't we going to think that it's normal?

Oh, also, American accents start with a high pitch, then begin lowering down as they reach a pause, then repeat the process. Trust me, I have no life. I know these things.

Unicorn

Neigh.
I wish I could hear what I sound like to other people. I'm so used to hearing my voice that of course I don't think I have an accent. I hear british, australian, scottish, and southern drawls and I'm like pffffft. They sound weird. But I know that to them I sound different. I just wish I could hear it.

Mythic Mist

Indecent Exposure
Because we don't have accents. We speak how normal people speak in the movies.

FireTheAbsolLord

Bad Username
Because we Americans are silly and stupid, just kidding.

Its really because in America, were used to hearing American accents. Some people have never really been to other parts of the world or met people there, so they naturally assume that American accents are what people really should sound like. I will bring to note that I've noticed more then one poster in this thread (and I do not care to point out names) has grouped some people in America or some people anywhere else all together. Not all Americans think that their accent in natural and English accents, Australian accents, French accents, etc. are not normal. Only some foolish ones do.

Status
Not open for further replies.