1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Why do game rivals never get any love?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Sham, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Leonhart

Leonhart Well-Known Member

Hyu's motives seemed pretty reasonable to me. He was selfless and just wanted to fix things to make his sister happy. I do wish that he had shown up during Best Wishes even if only for one episode during Episode N, because that would've further promoted B2/W2.

2. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

Because the writer's have it bad for OCs.
    OCs could work in series like Hoenn and Sinnoh(Which did have one), where there really aren't game rivals that are legitimate threats. But Unova...? Seriously? Cheren should have been Ash's main rival, you could even make him a bit like Max where he's watched Ash battle in previous leagues, making him beating Ash more believable as he knows Ash's strategies. And Hugh also could have been an excellent rival. Maybe even the dream crusher?
    Instead you have regular BW 1 Bianca.... and BW 2 Cheren? Eh? If they wanted to do that, they should have built up to Cheren becoming a gym leader and teacher as well. And have Bianca become Juniper's apprentice while he becomes Lenora's, I mean that's how I would have ended their arcs.
    I know Bianca's not a serious rival, but she deserved better than what Best Wishes gave her. Barry getting eliminated by Paul felt right, another character getting her knocked out didn't.

Hugh is literally the best rival right next to Silver, I'll stand by that statement until at least gen 9. Hopp certainly ain't gonna change that lmao.
    And.... XY was the perfect chance to introduce Wally, but instead they decided to make an entire new character who basically took Wally's underdog role but wasn't handled right at all... um, what? Wally should have FINALLY made his debut this saga, I mean Max would also be a good rival choice... if you know, the anime actually let characters age! -.-
    But Wally flat out got cheated! Wally's also from Hoenn, got his Mega Ring from Steven, blahblahblah, and is a far more interesting character than Sawyer
    DPP introduced Lyra, a brand new character! Yet XY couldn't bother showing Hoenn some proper love and respect by bringing in one of the more popular game rivals? I'm not even a Wally fan, I much prefer Silver, the BW 1/2 rivals, Gladion, and Hau over him.... but I can't stand for game characters getting neglected just so OCs can shine, if I wanted to see that or Ash win every battle he competes in then I'd read a freaking fanfiction! Seriously apart from Ash losing Kalos finals, XY(Z) felt like fanfiction!

And I actually have no love at all for Tierno, Trevor, and Shauna.... but they definitely deserved better. What was the freaking point of giving rivalry focus and just tossing them aside like yesterday's news to characters that didn't even exist 35 episodes ago? It felt like wasted time, Ash should have at LEAST battled Tierno. And Tierno should have had a Mega Blastoise....

Gladion is actually handled pretty nicely though, haven't seen this amount of respect for a game rival since Gary(Who isn't being shown respect right now... despite all the Kanto pandering)
    Hau however, was handled pretty decently enough... but he should have appeared far earlier on. There was no reason to keep him locked away that long. The Pikachu/Alola Raichu interactions we could have gotten would have been nice! Finally a Raichu that isn't an outright asshole to Pikachu for some reason(Actually there is a irl reason, but not in-universe one :p )

3. shoz999

shoz999 Do you wanna try a good Tapu Cocoa? My treat.

Even though I like Sawyer, I can imagine a lot of Pokemon Adventures fans nodding their heads in agreement with you lol... poor, poor Wally lol.

FullmetalJackie and wolf jani like this.
  4. Leonhart

I do think that the Kalos saga would've been the perfect time in which to introduce Mitsuru. But for whatever reason, the writers didn't seem to want to promote OR/AS that much back then. They showed Gen III Pokemon in some minor episodes around the time that OR/AS came out and of course Shota used a few Houen Pokemon as well, but overall the writers seemed against the idea of showcasing more Gen III characters other than Daigo.

5. U.N. Owen

U.N. Owen In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

Wally might be my favorite character, but putting him in Shouta's screen time might screw him over. XY didn't seem to want to focus on rivalries at all.

Jerimiyah and FullmetalJackie like this.
  6. shoz999

I'd say XY had a lot of focus on rivalries, it's just that much of them were friendly rivalries right off the bat. Would you be saying the same if Wally, one of the first friendly rivals, was given a lot of screen-time? Probably, probably not.

Jerimiyah and wolf jani like this.
  7. I never really got why people wanted to see Wally appear even back in Hoenn since I thought that he was a boring rival who usurped May's/Brendan's rival status in the games at Victory Road. I think Ash should've met Brendan back in Hoenn though.

Jerimiyah and Leonhart like this.
  8. shoz999

I think I may have an idea why people like his character so much. Before I read the Pokemon Adventures manga, almost every Pokemon fan I knew thought Wally from the games was boring and some I knew even forgot who Wally was from Ruby & Sapphire. However when I discovered the Pokemon Adventures manga and later fellow Adventure fans, so many people who read the Ruby & Sapphire chapter fell in love with Wally's character in how the manga expanded his character from Gen 3. I believe the Pokemon Adventures manga ultimately kicked off Wally's popularity during Gen 3 but I feel what ultimately caused Wally's popularity to explode to new heights is undoubtedly Gen 6's ORAS remakes. Honestly, Wally's role in ORAS pretty much plays out the same as the original games but just with much better execution. I believe one of the reasons why people just loved Wally's character in the Pokemon Adventures manga was his various facial expressions that showed how far he's grown on the journey and the ORAS remakes had something that the original classics lacked, 3D facial expressions which I believe immensely helped Wally's character in the games as it shows a sense of growth from a shy weakly kid to a determined adventurer. Finally there's the fact of his awesome theme music, the iconic final battle surrounded by the flowers and his Mega Gallade which was a surprise which also helped symbolized Wally's growth.

wolf jani likes this.
  9. Leonhart

I think it still would've been worth it just to see Mitsuru in the anime, even if hypothetically he might not have been the best choice of rival for Satoshi in the XY saga. The only Kalos rival that Satoshi had that I wasn't very fond of was Tierno, but that's because it seemed apparent even as far back as his debut that he wasn't going to be developed that well, and that he was mostly a stand-in rival until Shota and Alain appeared.

10. Twilight-Kun

Twilight-Kun Pokemon World Champion

Except he got eliminated before Ash, had to wait an entire extra region to battle hi m, and only showed up for maybe a dozen episodes total before vanishing off the face of the planet

Most of Gary's fame comes from people naming their gen I rival "Gary" rather than anything the anime's done with him

11. AznKei

AznKei Badass girls saving their boyfriends. XD

Yeah, alot of fans had alot of respect with the game characters that they're disappointed when their anime counterparts got toned down so bad, not only for the rivals but most of the female protagonists and gym leaders as well.

12. Leonhart

That's sadly true, he was handled abysmally during his time in the anime, and nostalgia seems to be what fuels his popularity even to this day. I don't really understand why the writers back in Kanto didn't do more with him considering that the anime was originally only going to last a year, yet Shigeru wasn't really built up as a serious threat even in the earlier parts of the saga: he was mostly just a jerk who taunted Satoshi, but never really delivered on his boasts about being a better trainer.

13. BTS_fan

BTS_fan Banned

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I always preferred Blue over Gary. Gary in the show was a letdown since he lost at the Indigo league quickly and then he disappeared for a while and showed up again with a bland attitude in Johto.

Emelie, Jerimiyah, shoz999 and 2 others like this.
  14. Leonhart

It seemed like Shigeru was watered-down after his Kanto League loss as a way of redeeming him a bit and humbling him as well, although I wasn't a fan of that change since his banter with Satoshi was a lot more amusing back when he used to goad Satoshi in early Kanto. I also felt that his backstory with Satoshi should've been explored more during the Kanto saga instead of it being saved for the first episode of their Jouto League match.

Emelie, shoz999, catzeye and 3 others like this.
  15. Redstar45

Redstar45 A POCKET MONSTERS & DIGITAL MONSTERS Fan !

hey good new my friend is fixed that in his doujin

Leonhart and wolf jani like this.
  16. MockingJ

MockingJ Banned

The only unseen game rival that I thought should've been given an anime appearance was Silver. And I don't count his cameo in the Legend of Thunder opening.

17. Leonhart

Speaking of the Raikou special, I wish that Silver had replaced Junichi there since then we could've eventually seen him appear at the Jouto League and be Satoshi's opponent instead. I'll never understand why the creators of the Raikou special designed an original character like Junichi instead of using Silver to complete the trio of main characters in that special.

18. catzeye

catzeye Writer's Block

It really sucks that the game rivals aren't given as much time to shine in the anime. Hopefully that will change with Gen 8 and Hop. With the way the Galar league is structure and Hop's ties to the champion it would be pretty odd if they didn't include him.

Emelie, BTS_fan, shoz999 and 2 others like this.
  19. Leonhart

I'm confident that Hop will make an appearance at some point in the Galar saga given that his brother is the regional Champion. I'm just worried that he might end up being handled similar to Jun, Shota, and Hau in the sense that the writers might not showcase him until the second half of the saga, and also that they might not make him a serious rival and might instead treat him more like a friendly adversary.

catzeye, Emelie, Trey pokes and 3 others like this.
  20. catzeye

catzeye Writer's Block

That's what concerns me too. Judging by what we know of Sword/Shield so far, I think to do a Hop/Ash rival justice he needs to be introduced early on, especially if his brother appears early on in the anime. I would really like for the writers to show Hop and Leon especially if there are some complex interactions that happen between them in-game (which is likely in my opinion) because that would add an interesting layer to a rival for Ash.

Emelie and wolf jani like this.